Posted to alt.home.repair

Default ON TOPIC: Fan only furnace operation

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 5:04:36 PM UTC-5, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Thursday, July 27, 2017 at 3:46:15 PM UTC-5, Taxed and Spent wrote:
I have a thermostat that allows a setting for fan only, which I wish to
try to try to push some air around during the warm weather. There is no
AC. Furnace is 1960's vintage, and had only two wires to the
thermostat. I added a C wire for the smarter thermostat. If I add a
FAN wire, will the old furnace have a place to hook it up and respond
appropriately?

It should have. It's where the green wire hooks up. It will be marked with a "G" which is for the fan relay. ?(?)?

https://highperformancehvac.com/ther...g-colors-code/

[8~{} Uncle Fanny Monster

Well, wouldn't you know it. I just replaced a theromstat on my heat
pump. The wiring did not exectally match up old to new. I think I
have it correct as the cooling part is working. Won't know for about 3
or 4 months if the heat part works.

I could have used the explination of the letters about 8 hours ago..

I did think to take a pix of the old one and labled the wires with the
old letters.

I copied that web page and will file it with the other heat pump info.

If you are handy with electricity, you might consider what me and the guys would do to protect AC units and heat pumps. We would install hard wired surge arresters right on the outside unit and sometimes on the furnace. This all but eliminated blown capacitors and circuit boards especially for our rural customers. A direct hit from lightning will blow up a lot of stuff but the surge arresters we installed did a very good job protecting the HVAC equipment. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

https://www.amazon.com/Square-Schnei.../dp/B0052DMIUK

https://tinyurl.com/ycwggggj

http://www.leviton.com/en/products/55240-asa

https://www.johnstonesupply.com/stor...ep?pID=G36-492