Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 4:26:11 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:51:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Why is that the standard?

That's a fair question. AFAIK, there are only three options:
1. Leave them yellowed (free)
2. Buy new headlight lenses (~$120 for the pair at discount)

Since you like to micro analyze, are those OEM lenses from the
dealer? Ones that are OEM quality from one of the OEM suppliers?
Ones that are from some aftermarket company and supply chain that
at least has some credibility? Or ones on Ebay claiming to be of
some of the above pedigree? Or Chinese crap from China?

3. Polish them up (~$30 for the pair at Sams Club or ~$30 for chemicals)

I did mine for ~$10 to $15, think it was the 3M kit, Walmart.

I haven't seen anyone claiming that they
will restore them to be indistinguishable from new.

Maybe I had simply *assumed* that they would be indistinguishable from new.
Can someone who has done it tell us how they compared to brand new?

They come out looking good, clear, well worth it, but no way you'd think they
were new ones.

I used a kit, I think it was 3M, worked great.

Three kits have been mentioned most he
1. 3M
2. Sylvania
3. Blue Magic

Most kits seem to have two parts:
A. The stripper
B. The sealer

It included an attachment for
a drill with pads. There was a huge improvement,
I was very happy, but no way I'd say they were indistinguishable from
new.

This is good to know because it turns out that the original owner called
today when we asked about some of the paperwork saying they had in their
garage a brand new unused driver side headlight lens, still in the box,
which they'd give the kid for free.

So now we have only one lens to "match" to the driver side.

Well, that changes the equation.

It lasts several years, but obviously the process continues.

There is an open question as to whether the erosion process is
*accelerated* by the polishing, or if it's the same process, but starting
fresh.

Who cares? They look good again for at least several years, at least
mine did. How long is your kid going to have the car? Plus I would
think you could do it a second time.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:23:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

The original lenses had a UV protectant - I had a Toyota which did this
also. I took it to Sams & had it done. It lasted until my wife wrecked the
car... Less work for mother...

Since it's such a common problem, do you think the original UV protectant
wasn't enough?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:43:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:
Since you like to micro analyze, are those OEM lenses from the
dealer?

I have no idea.

I did mine for ~$10 to $15, think it was the 3M kit, Walmart.

Lots of votes for the 3M kit over the Sylvania and Blue Magic.

They come out looking good, clear, well worth it, but no way you'd think they
were new ones.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Who cares? They look good again for at least several years, at least
mine did. How long is your kid going to have the car? Plus I would
think you could do it a second time.

It's not my kid, but we're a close-knit family (Italians & Jews mostly,
with a few Arabs sprinkled about just to keep the conversation salty).

She's going to be a junior, having just graduated from a 2-year school
(they don't even give AA degrees anymore, I'm told) so it's her first year
at a 4-year college, where she's going to live off campus so she needs a
car.

How long will she own it?
Dunno. I owned my first car for about a decade and it was a decade old when
I got it, so, I assume she'll own it for a decade. Besides, my first car
was a Chrysler and hers is a Toyota. Two different beasts in terms of
longevity.

Anyway, I think we have pretty good answers to the questions.
a. It won't look like new but it will look pretty good
b. You have to sand and seal (not just sand)
c. The 3M kit gets the most votes (Sylvania & Blue Magic in second)
d. The main ingredient is grit with clearcoat being the sealer
e. Don't use electric tools - just use elbow grease
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 16:26:14 -0400, Steve W. wrote:

NOW to keep the lights looking like new for a long time, spray them with
automotive 2part clear (you can buy it in a spray can or have a bo0dy
shop give them a spritz).

Thanks for that suggestion as this is the first suggestion, I think, for an
automotive "2-part clear" as the protective coating.

Searching, is this what you mean?
http://www.automotivetouchup.com/spr...clearcoat.aspx

Or maybe this?
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...125/99984738-P

Or, maybe more likely this?
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ur...clearcoat.aspx

This is how I deal with the yellowed/cruddy ones. They yellow due to the
UV from the sun, it kills the protective coating on the plastic.

Does the irony of that statement ring true for you as it does for me?

The 2
part clear when you're done will restore that plus it will seal the plastic.
I use bulk supplies but the 3M kit includes enough to do a couple sets
of lights and it's good stuff. DON'T use a high speed drill with it, you
can burn the surface of the light.

A lot of people are voting for the 3M kit components.
Fewer for Sylvania and Blue Magic.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On 7/17/2017 11:27 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:23:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

The original lenses had a UV protectant - I had a Toyota which did
this also. I took it to Sams & had it done. It lasted until my wife
wrecked the car... Less work for mother...

Since it's such a common problem, do you think the original UV protectant
wasn't enough?

My limited eperience is that UV protection wears out after while. I've
used various outdoor finishes with UV protection and after two years it
is still good aside from the uv.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, July 18, 2017 at 8:24:54 AM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/17/2017 11:27 PM, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:23:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

The original lenses had a UV protectant - I had a Toyota which did
this also. I took it to Sams & had it done. It lasted until my wife
wrecked the car... Less work for mother...

Since it's such a common problem, do you think the original UV protectant
wasn't enough?

My limited eperience is that UV protection wears out after while. I've
used various outdoor finishes with UV protection and after two years it
is still good aside from the uv.

question...
does it make sense to apply the UV protection coating to newish lenses before they get really yellow? and to reapply it periodically so hopefully you won't have to polish them.

Also, from experience, do not press very hard on the front of older headlights, the plastic aiming parts inside are getting old and if you press hard enough they can break and then your lights will not be aimed correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Danny D. wrote:
[...]

The 3M kit works very well. NONE of the chemical only kit's work. I've
done hundreds of headlights using the sand, polish, clear coat method.

The UV, age and other chemicals just destroy the lights. The plastics
have gotten better but some brands just seem to turn to crap faster.

https://repaintsupply.com/spraymax-3...sol-p3685.html
is a true 2 part clear in a spray can, if you don't have a spray gun.

or if you have a spray gun and know how to use it
https://www.automotivetouchup.com/ur...clearcoat.aspx
would work as well.

--
Steve W.
Posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

Danny D. posted for all of us...

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 15:23:17 -0400, Tekkie® wrote:

The original lenses had a UV protectant - I had a Toyota which did this
also. I took it to Sams & had it done. It lasted until my wife wrecked the
car... Less work for mother...

Since it's such a common problem, do you think the original UV protectant
wasn't enough?

I really had no valid comparison. The car was 13+ years old.

--
Tekkie

Camry Jan Alter Home Repair 17 June 14th 16 10:14 PM
Separate thread, why aren't my Toyota brakes as good as a Toyota Rav5 Micky Home Repair 4 December 2nd 15 07:46 AM
FIX: Toyota / Fujtsu Ten Limited CD player - Model SD-1619TM1 PN? 08601-00804 / Toyota compact Disc deck 34203 Robin Taylor Electronics Repair 4 August 7th 08 12:29 PM
2002 Toyota Camry Radio 86120- AA040 [email protected] Electronics Repair 5 June 16th 07 04:25 PM
SALE: Refurbished Semiconductor Equipment Dicing Saws, Lappers, Cut off, Polishers, Grinders Erik Eich Metalworking 2 August 23rd 03 05:47 AM