Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 4:26:11 PM UTC-4, Danny D. wrote:
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:51:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:

Why is that the standard?

That's a fair question. AFAIK, there are only three options:
1. Leave them yellowed (free)
2. Buy new headlight lenses (~$120 for the pair at discount)

Since you like to micro analyze, are those OEM lenses from the
dealer? Ones that are OEM quality from one of the OEM suppliers?
Ones that are from some aftermarket company and supply chain that
at least has some credibility? Or ones on Ebay claiming to be of
some of the above pedigree? Or Chinese crap from China?

3. Polish them up (~$30 for the pair at Sams Club or ~$30 for chemicals)

I did mine for ~$10 to $15, think it was the 3M kit, Walmart.

I haven't seen anyone claiming that they
will restore them to be indistinguishable from new.

Maybe I had simply *assumed* that they would be indistinguishable from new.
Can someone who has done it tell us how they compared to brand new?

They come out looking good, clear, well worth it, but no way you'd think they
were new ones.

I used a kit, I think it was 3M, worked great.

Three kits have been mentioned most he
1. 3M
2. Sylvania
3. Blue Magic

Most kits seem to have two parts:
A. The stripper
B. The sealer

It included an attachment for
a drill with pads. There was a huge improvement,
I was very happy, but no way I'd say they were indistinguishable from
new.

This is good to know because it turns out that the original owner called
today when we asked about some of the paperwork saying they had in their
garage a brand new unused driver side headlight lens, still in the box,
which they'd give the kid for free.

So now we have only one lens to "match" to the driver side.

Well, that changes the equation.

It lasts several years, but obviously the process continues.

There is an open question as to whether the erosion process is
*accelerated* by the polishing, or if it's the same process, but starting
fresh.

Who cares? They look good again for at least several years, at least
mine did. How long is your kid going to have the car? Plus I would
think you could do it a second time.