Posted to alt.home.repair
Danny D.[_15_] Danny D.[_15_] is offline

Default Do the Toyota Camry headlight polishers actually work well?

On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 17:43:45 -0700 (PDT), trader_4 wrote:
Since you like to micro analyze, are those OEM lenses from the
dealer?

I have no idea.

I did mine for ~$10 to $15, think it was the 3M kit, Walmart.

Lots of votes for the 3M kit over the Sylvania and Blue Magic.

They come out looking good, clear, well worth it, but no way you'd think they
were new ones.

Thanks. That makes a lot of sense.

Who cares? They look good again for at least several years, at least
mine did. How long is your kid going to have the car? Plus I would
think you could do it a second time.

It's not my kid, but we're a close-knit family (Italians & Jews mostly,
with a few Arabs sprinkled about just to keep the conversation salty).

She's going to be a junior, having just graduated from a 2-year school
(they don't even give AA degrees anymore, I'm told) so it's her first year
at a 4-year college, where she's going to live off campus so she needs a
car.

How long will she own it?
Dunno. I owned my first car for about a decade and it was a decade old when
I got it, so, I assume she'll own it for a decade. Besides, my first car
was a Chrysler and hers is a Toyota. Two different beasts in terms of
longevity.

Anyway, I think we have pretty good answers to the questions.
a. It won't look like new but it will look pretty good
b. You have to sand and seal (not just sand)
c. The 3M kit gets the most votes (Sylvania & Blue Magic in second)
d. The main ingredient is grit with clearcoat being the sealer
e. Don't use electric tools - just use elbow grease