Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Weird stuff on my yard

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:42:32 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

The first picture appears to illustrate a multi-cellular filament
organism, which would mean it is mold, a type of fungi.

Here is just one of many articles on the topic.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/mold-lawn-grass-70157.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/14/2017 1:42 PM, Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

First looks like pollen and 2nd may or may not related. Neither
fungicide or fertilize seem right.

I would post in garden group alt.home.lawn.garden. I've gotten good
advice there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

The first picture appears to illustrate a multi-cellular filament
organism, which would mean it is mold, a type of fungi.

Here is just one of many articles on the topic.

http://homeguides.sfgate.com/mold-lawn-grass-70157.html

Thanks to all. I forgot to mention that these are so far seen in full
sun or near full sun areas and usually right after a heavy rain (we got
2 inches in a couple of hours last night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

_Cotton-Like Fungus in the Grass _

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7706464_cottonlike-fungus-grass.html

"Pythium blight is a fungal disease also known as cottony blight. This
disease affects all types of turfgrass and is most common during hot,
humid weather. Pythium blight spreads rapidly and can kill large
portions of grass in a short time. Powdery mildew is another fungal
disease that affects lawn grass, especially in shaded areas. Shade,
high humidity and and improper aeration favors the development of
powdery mildew."

Try some aeration if the ground is heavy in clay?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This is all in full or near full sun. The ground is heavy in clay, but I
have aerated it every year since we bought the place 29 years ago. There
are still some areas where the ground is like cement.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Once aerated, clay removed via coring plugs, you might fill them with
sand. Before the clay breaks down again. Sand will give far better
drainage for the lawn turf.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Could be or it could be another fungal disease. Red thread comes to
mind, except I don't see the characteristic shriveled up ends that
wind up looking like red thread. Any evidence of that?

Whatever it is, it's fungal. And fertilizer is the last thing you
want to do with most diseases, it just makes it worse. High nitrogen,
water and high temp are what promotes it. Let it dry out, only
water right before dawn so it doesn't stay wet over night.

You can google for images of various turf fungus problems, see what
matches and what the conditions for it to develop are. Some of
these, eg red thread, are generally not serious and the grass will
survive. Others destroy the grass and can spread rapidly. Whether it's
worth treating with a fungicide is a judgment call.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was close, I was going to say powdery mildew

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I believe I read somewhere that adding sugar to your
fertilzer acts as a softener, but I will not testify in
court on that : )

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:42:32 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

Sounds like it might be worth getting your neighbors involved, if they
have adjoining or nearby grass.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
This is all in full or near full sun. The ground is heavy in clay, but I
have aerated it every year since we bought the place 29 years ago. There
are still some areas where the ground is like cement.

after 29yrs?

there's a few things that make clay tough to
have in a lawn, but you can often work around
them.

when you core that area put down some extra
organic materials (compost is best) and rake it
a bit to get it into the holes before the clay
plugs break down and return there instead.

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.

don't mow the area when it is too wet as
that compacts the soil (especially for clays).

encourage or add worm species that will improve
drainage (but they do need the organic material
from mowing left behind). if your area is not
environmentally sensitive and you can bring in
night crawlers they will improve your drainage
but they need to be transplanted with a little
work. they don't start new burrows easily so
you have to dig up several areas and then put
them under several inches of soil so they have
a chance to start their burrows (when you see a
night crawler away from its burrow after it rains
that usually means it's in trouble). worms are
bacterial factories and help break down dead
organic materials (which helps reduce problems
fungal diseases).

as for fungicides and such, often a pointless
expense as the fungi spread easily on the wind
and rains.

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Once aerated, clay removed via coring plugs, you might fill them with
sand. Before the clay breaks down again. Sand will give far better
drainage for the lawn turf.

i'll try that this year. Best way to put it down.. other than taking a
handful and dropping it in each hole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/17 7:05 AM, songbird wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
This is all in full or near full sun. The ground is heavy in clay, but I
have aerated it every year since we bought the place 29 years ago. There
are still some areas where the ground is like cement.

after 29yrs?

there's a few things that make clay tough to
have in a lawn, but you can often work around
them.

when you core that area put down some extra
organic materials (compost is best) and rake it
a bit to get it into the holes before the clay
plugs break down and return there instead.

The yard is just a little less than acre and I am in my early 60s, so
that raking part won't work (grin). I'll try that for the places this is
worse.

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.

Already as high as it will go and and clippings have
always stay.

don't mow the area when it is too wet as
that compacts the soil (especially for clays).

Try not to, but sometimes, like this year, you have the choice of
mowing wet or not mowing at all.

encourage or add worm species that will improve
drainage (but they do need the organic material
from mowing left behind). if your area is not
environmentally sensitive and you can bring in
night crawlers they will improve your drainage
but they need to be transplanted with a little
work. they don't start new burrows easily so
you have to dig up several areas and then put
them under several inches of soil so they have
a chance to start their burrows (when you see a
night crawler away from its burrow after it rains
that usually means it's in trouble). worms are
bacterial factories and help break down dead
organic materials (which helps reduce problems
fungal diseases).

I tried that a couple of times early on and didn't see
much more than an increase in the number of worms in my pool.
Maybe I'll try that again.

as for fungicides and such, often a pointless
expense as the fungi spread easily on the wind
and rains.

Thanks.

songbird

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
[...]

I just googled lawn fungus and looked at pictures:

http://grangettosgardenclub.com/is-t...lling-my-lawn/

Looks like that is what you have.

Might mention this company sells lot of stuff. I just bought from them,
good prices and free shipping:

https://www.domyownpestcontrol.com/

Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
This is all in full or near full sun. The ground is heavy in clay, but I
have aerated it every year since we bought the place 29 years ago. There
are still some areas where the ground is like cement.

after 29yrs?

there's a few things that make clay tough to
have in a lawn, but you can often work around
them.

when you core that area put down some extra
organic materials (compost is best) and rake it
a bit to get it into the holes before the clay
plugs break down and return there instead.

The yard is just a little less than acre and I am in my early 60s, so
that raking part won't work (grin). I'll try that for the places this is
worse.

yes, that's all i intended.

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.

Already as high as it will go and and clippings have
always stay.

interesting. clay is very fertile and good for
holding nutrients, after 29yrs of grass clippings
that area should have built up somewhat to excellent
soil. is there a slope there or some other way that
the organic matter is moving away? or is it a low
spot that collects extra water?

don't mow the area when it is too wet as
that compacts the soil (especially for clays).

Try not to, but sometimes, like this year, you have the choice of
mowing wet or not mowing at all.

that is also likely the reason why the white
stuff has shown up anyways. i would just put it
all under "natural variation" and keep on mowing
as needed.

encourage or add worm species that will improve
drainage (but they do need the organic material
from mowing left behind). if your area is not
environmentally sensitive and you can bring in
night crawlers they will improve your drainage
but they need to be transplanted with a little
work. they don't start new burrows easily so
you have to dig up several areas and then put
them under several inches of soil so they have
a chance to start their burrows (when you see a
night crawler away from its burrow after it rains
that usually means it's in trouble). worms are
bacterial factories and help break down dead
organic materials (which helps reduce problems
fungal diseases).

I tried that a couple of times early on and didn't see
much more than an increase in the number of worms in my pool.
Maybe I'll try that again.

now is a horrible time (mid summer) IMO. later
in the summer/early fall will be better (but i
don't know your location so i'm not really sure ).
for crawlers you have to give them a start, you
can't just dump 'em out and expect much. the other
earth worms and red wriggler aka compost worms they
are much smaller and don't need such an approach.
what worms did you try?

as for fungicides and such, often a pointless
expense as the fungi spread easily on the wind
and rains.

Thanks.

i hate to say it, but you could use it if you
really are that concerned. as in probably early
will help more rather than later. but like i say
i consider it a waste of time/money. then again
i'm just one of those strange people who doesn't
much mind fungi - they're a part of this life cycle
so when they show up they're doing something
important. we have a friend who actually goes out
into her lawn and picks the mushrooms thinking that
it will stop them. *SMH*

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:
[...]

Best would be to try to identify it using the many lawn websites
and googling for pics of the various lawn fungi and indentifying
conditions. Then he can find the fungicide most suited, assuming
it's worth treating. I've never had success trying to treat it.
Seems by the time you notice it, try to figure out what it is,
the damage is done. And many are not lethal to the lawn, just
damage it. Some can and do kill. If there is an agricultural
extension service in the area, they can be helpful. They tend to
know what's a problem in the area at the current time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/17 5:26 PM, trader_4 wrote:

Best would be to try to identify it using the many lawn websites
and googling for pics of the various lawn fungi and indentifying
conditions. Then he can find the fungicide most suited, assuming
it's worth treating. I've never had success trying to treat it.
Seems by the time you notice it, try to figure out what it is,
the damage is done. And many are not lethal to the lawn, just
damage it. Some can and do kill. If there is an agricultural
extension service in the area, they can be helpful. They tend to
know what's a problem in the area at the current time.

That reminds me of the land grant universities. List he
https://espnational.org/en/about-us/the-land-grant-universities
The University of Nebraska has this:
http://extensionpubs.unl.edu

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:
That reminds me of the land grant universities. List he
https://espnational.org/en/about-us/the-land-grant-universities
The University of Nebraska has this:
http://extensionpubs.unl.edu

the problem with almost any agricultural educational
institution is that they are firmly in the "sell poisons
and other sponsored stuff" camp.

few are serious about natural methods or simple and
inexpensive things that have been proven over centuries.
if it doesn't generate research $ from corporations or
government funding they aren't much interested in it.

so yeah, go ahead and ask, but they're likely to repond
similar to the OPs initial two suggested reponses (add
fertilizer or use *cides).

songbird
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/15/17 4:41 PM, songbird wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.

Already as high as it will go and and clippings have
always stay.

interesting. clay is very fertile and good for
holding nutrients, after 29yrs of grass clippings
that area should have built up somewhat to excellent
soil. is there a slope there or some other way that
the organic matter is moving away? or is it a low
spot that collects extra water?

No on either one, at least so far the sloped areas are free. It is
flat ground and largely full sun. Also, the two places I have had the
problems are separated (one side of the pool in the back and around near
the driveway on the front with no communication between the two.

now is a horrible time (mid summer) IMO. later
in the summer/early fall will be better (but i
don't know your location so i'm not really sure ).
for crawlers you have to give them a start, you
can't just dump 'em out and expect much. the other
earth worms and red wriggler aka compost worms they
are much smaller and don't need such an approach.
what worms did you try?

Central Indiana. I am not sure, I tried it a couple times about 10
years ago with the same results both times. I do get a bunch of worms in
my pool over the winter, so they seem to roaming around.

i hate to say it, but you could use it if you
really are that concerned. as in probably early
will help more rather than later. but like i say
i consider it a waste of time/money. then again
i'm just one of those strange people who doesn't
much mind fungi - they're a part of this life cycle
so when they show up they're doing something
important. we have a friend who actually goes out
into her lawn and picks the mushrooms thinking that
it will stop them. *SMH*

Interestingly enough (at least so far) I tried a bit of Miracle Grow
spray on I had handy as an expirement. It seems (again so far) that the
brown spots are less brown and don't seem to be spreading. It has only
been a day or two so we'll see how it progresses.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it is. I have gone
to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive responses.
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a cottony cover on my
grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the cottonwood or some
weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture). However, soon I realized
that the grass in the area was turning brown in roughly the outline of
the cottony cover. One guy suggested fungicide and another just thought
I should fertilize and it would come back.
Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

Here is a very interesting four page monograph, published by Perdue
university: "Using Organic Fungicides"

https://www.extension.purdue.edu/ext...bp/bp-69-w.pdf

I have never used the organic approach to fungi, but after reading
this, I would be willing to give it a try.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Once aerated, clay removed via coring plugs, you might fill them with
sand. Before the clay breaks down again. Sand will give far better
drainage for the lawn turf.

i'll try that this year. Best way to put it down.. other than taking a
handful and dropping it in each hole.

Not knowing the area size:

First; use clean play sand from the box store, not the sand for pavers
as it compacts easily.

Second; cut the corner off the bag, walk the area with the bag
supported under an arm. Drizzle the sand like using a piping bag.

Large areas you could use a handheld or push type broadcast spreader.

Me? I'd carry the bag to fill the spaces/core holes as fast as
possible.

BTW, do you have irrigation lines in these areas. Turned off during
rains, etc. Allowed to dry out? Not leaking...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/16/17 1:46 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 15 Jul 2017 08:40:10 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"

Me? I'd carry the bag to fill the spaces/core holes as fast as
possible.

Thanks.
BTW, do you have irrigation lines in these areas. Turned off during
rains, etc. Allowed to dry out? Not leaking...

I have had the sprinkler only turned on a couple days since the start of
the year and I don't sprinkle until I see my footprints (told that was
an indicator by my sprinkler guy) and only then if there is no rain in
the forecast for the next two days. Nothing in the way of extra water
use, or soggy areas, or unusual lines of green grass to suggest
sprinkler leakage
Posted to alt.home.repair

Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.
Already as high as it will go and and clippings have
always stay.

interesting. clay is very fertile and good for
holding nutrients, after 29yrs of grass clippings
that area should have built up somewhat to excellent
soil. is there a slope there or some other way that
the organic matter is moving away? or is it a low
spot that collects extra water?

No on either one, at least so far the sloped areas are free. It is
flat ground and largely full sun. Also, the two places I have had the
problems are separated (one side of the pool in the back and around near
the driveway on the front with no communication between the two.

hmm, indication is that the amount of water
may be the key then... your area seems to
have gotten a lot more rain than we have this
year.

now is a horrible time (mid summer) IMO. later
in the summer/early fall will be better (but i
don't know your location so i'm not really sure ).
for crawlers you have to give them a start, you
can't just dump 'em out and expect much. the other
earth worms and red wriggler aka compost worms they
are much smaller and don't need such an approach.
what worms did you try?

Central Indiana. I am not sure, I tried it a couple times about 10
years ago with the same results both times. I do get a bunch of worms in
my pool over the winter, so they seem to roaming around.

yeah, i was just curious if you have seen
night crawlers or not.

i hate to say it, but you could use it if you
really are that concerned. as in probably early
will help more rather than later. but like i say
i consider it a waste of time/money. then again
i'm just one of those strange people who doesn't
much mind fungi - they're a part of this life cycle
so when they show up they're doing something
important. we have a friend who actually goes out
into her lawn and picks the mushrooms thinking that
it will stop them. *SMH*

Interestingly enough (at least so far) I tried a bit of Miracle Grow
spray on I had handy as an expirement. It seems (again so far) that the
brown spots are less brown and don't seem to be spreading. It has only
been a day or two so we'll see how it progresses.

ok, good luck.

songbird