Posted to alt.home.repair
Kurt V. Ullman Kurt V. Ullman is offline

Default Weird stuff on my yard

On 7/15/17 4:41 PM, songbird wrote:
Kurt V. Ullman wrote:

mow higher and don't remove the clippings.

Already as high as it will go and and clippings have
always stay.

interesting. clay is very fertile and good for
holding nutrients, after 29yrs of grass clippings
that area should have built up somewhat to excellent
soil. is there a slope there or some other way that
the organic matter is moving away? or is it a low
spot that collects extra water?

No on either one, at least so far the sloped areas are free. It is
flat ground and largely full sun. Also, the two places I have had the
problems are separated (one side of the pool in the back and around near
the driveway on the front with no communication between the two.

now is a horrible time (mid summer) IMO. later
in the summer/early fall will be better (but i
don't know your location so i'm not really sure ).
for crawlers you have to give them a start, you
can't just dump 'em out and expect much. the other
earth worms and red wriggler aka compost worms they
are much smaller and don't need such an approach.
what worms did you try?

Central Indiana. I am not sure, I tried it a couple times about 10
years ago with the same results both times. I do get a bunch of worms in
my pool over the winter, so they seem to roaming around.

i hate to say it, but you could use it if you
really are that concerned. as in probably early
will help more rather than later. but like i say
i consider it a waste of time/money. then again
i'm just one of those strange people who doesn't
much mind fungi - they're a part of this life cycle
so when they show up they're doing something
important. we have a friend who actually goes out
into her lawn and picks the mushrooms thinking that
it will stop them. *SMH*

Interestingly enough (at least so far) I tried a bit of Miracle Grow
spray on I had handy as an expirement. It seems (again so far) that the
brown spots are less brown and don't seem to be spreading. It has only
been a day or two so we'll see how it progresses.