Posted to alt.home.repair
ChairMan[_6_] ChairMan[_6_] is offline

Default Weird stuff on my yard

Oren wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:51:49 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

On 7/14/17 2:31 PM, Oren wrote:
On Fri, 14 Jul 2017 13:42:32 -0400, "Kurt V. Ullman"
wrote:

Have some things on my yard that I am not sure what it
is. I have
gone to two garden shops and got two mutually exclusive
After rains the last couple of weeks, I have a
cottony cover
on my grass (I thought originally it was stuff from the
cottonwood
or some weed sticking to the wet grass (see picture).
However,
soon I realized that the grass in the area was turning
brown in
roughly the outline of the cottony cover. One guy
suggested
fungicide and another just thought I should fertilize
and it would
come back. Any suggestion?
http://imgur.com/M3roAaC
http://imgur.com/3MsIWYL

_Cotton-Like Fungus in the Grass _

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7706464_cottonlike-fungus-grass.html

"Pythium blight is a fungal disease also known as
cottony blight.
This disease affects all types of turfgrass and is most
common
during hot, humid weather. Pythium blight spreads
rapidly and can
kill large portions of grass in a short time. Powdery
mildew is
another fungal disease that affects lawn grass,
especially in
shaded areas. Shade, high humidity and and improper
aeration favors
the development of powdery mildew."

Try some aeration if the ground is heavy in clay?

This is all in full or near full sun. The ground is heavy
in clay,
but I have aerated it every year since we bought the
place 29 years
ago. There are still some areas where the ground is like
cement.

Once aerated, clay removed via coring plugs, you might
fill them with
sand. Before the clay breaks down again. Sand will give
far better
drainage for the lawn turf.

I believe I read somewhere that adding sugar to your
fertilzer acts as a softener, but I will not testify in
court on that : )