Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 100 pound propane 25 gallons tied to 500 gallons how

We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T (3500
gallon bobtail they say).

Propane company has small 100 pound 25 gallon tanks they say can be hooked
up instead of the standalone 500 gallon tank.

I just want to know more about how this works.

There is no gauge so you have to lift it up to tell if it's full they told
me. And they said they move the "pigtail" from one tank to the other.

Can these things be bought in bulk for an entire neighborhood?
Can they be refilled in place at our homes somehow?
Or do they have to be replaced like the propane company said?

Is there a way to put them in parallel or series?

How does this work for emergency situations which may last 18 months until
the road is fixed?
Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a 100 gal tank for my little fireplace. They fill it. They never replace it. There are many sizes avail. Series is just hooking up the next one when low or out. You will always know when you are down to one tank.
Op q is a bit confusing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/17 5:47 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T
(3500 gallon bobtail they say). Propane company has small 100 pound
25 gallon tanks they say can be hooked up instead of the standalone
500 gallon tank. I just want to know more about how this works. There
is no gauge so you have to lift it up to tell if it's full they told
me. And they said they move the "pigtail" from one tank to the
other. Can these things be bought in bulk for an entire
neighborhood? Can they be refilled in place at our homes somehow? Or
do they have to be replaced like the propane company said? Is there a
way to put them in parallel or series? How does this work for
emergency situations which may last 18 months until the road is
fixed?

There are magnetic tank level indicators. The reviews on Amazon
don't look too promising.
Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are quite a
few pictures of those online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:58:47 -0500, in news Dean Hoffman wrote:

Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are quite a
few pictures of those online.

5T is 10,000 pounds.

500 gallons is 2000 pounds.
Tthat leaves 8000 pounds for the truck.
Seems reasonable if 8000 pound trucks exist.

Another catch is that it's a felony to transport more than 600 or 800
pounds without a special license.

So it has to be a hazardous materials licensed driver and an 8000 pound
truck.

Any guess what the truck that carries the 2000 pound trailer weighs?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/2017 6:47 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T (3500
gallon bobtail they say).

Propane company has small 100 pound 25 gallon tanks they say can be hooked
up instead of the standalone 500 gallon tank.

I just want to know more about how this works.

There is no gauge so you have to lift it up to tell if it's full they told
me. And they said they move the "pigtail" from one tank to the other.

Can these things be bought in bulk for an entire neighborhood?
Can they be refilled in place at our homes somehow?
Or do they have to be replaced like the propane company said?

Is there a way to put them in parallel or series?

How does this work for emergency situations which may last 18 months until
the road is fixed?

I have two of those tanks but I only use it for cooking. No gauge, they
come once a year and fill them.

They can put two in series and when one empties, switch to the other.
In you case it sounds like they have to swap out the tank as the truck
cannot use the road. Inconvenient but can be done.

Alternative it to rent a bulldozer and put in a new road from another
direction.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Harry Williams
news alt.home.repair, wrote:

On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:58:47 -0500, in
news
Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are
quite a
few pictures of those online.

5T is 10,000 pounds.

500 gallons is 2000 pounds.
Tthat leaves 8000 pounds for the truck.
Seems reasonable if 8000 pound trucks exist.

Another catch is that it's a felony to transport more than 600 or
800 pounds without a special license.

So it has to be a hazardous materials licensed driver and an 8000
pound truck.

Any guess what the truck that carries the 2000 pound trailer
weighs?

I'd be more interested in knowing how big the boom would be if
something went south. g The shockwave would be impressive to say the
least.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/17 8:10 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:58:47 -0500, in
news
Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are quite
a few pictures of those online.

5T is 10,000 pounds.
500 gallons is 2000 pounds. Tthat leaves 8000 pounds for the truck.
Seems reasonable if 8000 pound trucks exist.

A Nissan Frontier weighs in at about 3,500 pounds.
Towing capacity 6,500 pounds. So a running gear with a tank
would need to be 4,500 pounds or less.
Another catch is that it's a felony to transport more than 600 or
800 pounds without a special license.
So it has to be a hazardous materials licensed driver and an 8000
pound truck.

I wonder if that applies to individuals hauling their own stuff.
If you're desperate, meet the truck on his side of the bridge?
Any guess what the truck that carries the 2000 pound trailer weighs?

I live in a rural area. It's not unusual to see a regular pickup
pulling a trailer with 2, 1000 gallon tanks of anhydrous ammonia.
Like these:
http://daltonagproducts.com/portfolio-category/trailers-and-running-gears/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/3/17 3:47 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T (3500
gallon bobtail they say).

Propane company has small 100 pound 25 gallon tanks they say can be hooked
up instead of the standalone 500 gallon tank.

I just want to know more about how this works.

There is no gauge so you have to lift it up to tell if it's full they told
me. And they said they move the "pigtail" from one tank to the other.

Can these things be bought in bulk for an entire neighborhood?
Can they be refilled in place at our homes somehow?
Or do they have to be replaced like the propane company said?

Is there a way to put them in parallel or series?

How does this work for emergency situations which may last 18 months until
the road is fixed?

since its a matter of health and safety in regards to your house, can
you apply for permit to allow an exemption to the limit...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2017 06:47 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
How does this work for emergency situations which may last 18 months until
the road is fixed?

Check with your local police. The weight restriction may only apply to
"thru" traffic. Local propane, fuel oil and fire trucks may be exempt.

Politely ask the officer what they would do if a government regulation
cut off vital services to their house.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 3, 2017 at 6:47:30 PM UTC-4, Harry Williams wrote:
We have a new 5T limit on the road where the propane truck is 17T (3500
gallon bobtail they say).

It makes me wonder how much a fire truck weighs.

"No, sorry, we can't put out your house; we're not allowed to drive
down your road."

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/4/17 10:16 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 5/3/2017 11:14 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 5/3/17 8:10 PM, Harry Williams wrote:
On Wed, 3 May 2017 19:58:47 -0500, in
news Would 500 gallon tanks on trailers be an option? There are quite
a few pictures of those online.
5T is 10,000 pounds.
500 gallons is 2000 pounds. Tthat leaves 8000 pounds for the truck.
Seems reasonable if 8000 pound trucks exist.

A Nissan Frontier weighs in at about 3,500 pounds.
Towing capacity 6,500 pounds. So a running gear with a tank
would need to be 4,500 pounds or less.
Another catch is that it's a felony to transport more than 600 or
800 pounds without a special license.
So it has to be a hazardous materials licensed driver and an 8000
pound truck.

I wonder if that applies to individuals hauling their own stuff.

Yes, it does.

One odd last thought would be pulling a trailer with a farm
tractor.
Messing with all those small tanks sounds like a real hassle.