Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Calculating gallons used by a toilet

I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article
,
WhiteTea77581 wrote:

I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

1. Did you mean to say TANK, not BOWL?

2. If you found the formulas on the internet, why are you asking us for
them?

3. 18 x 14 x 9 = 2268 cubic inches

4. According to

http://www.onlineconversion.com

2268 cubic inches is approximately 9.818 US liquid gallons

5. I'm doubtful that represents the actual water used, because the tank
probably doesn't empty completely with each flush. And, 10 gallons seems
a little excessive. And, I'm not sure the tank is really a rectangular
prism. (I am sure that the bowl isn't)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 4:50*am, WhiteTea77581 wrote:
I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

Who cares about measurements of tank, to figure usage turn off water,
flush toilet, fill up till full with amount known, there is your usage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
WhiteTea77581 wrote:

[...]

The calculation is correct and likely the number is accurate enough for
most purposes. If not then I suggest the following.

Turn off the water inlet valve to the toilet. Then remove the top and
mark the water height. Flush the toilet, and then refill the tank (to
your mark) with water from a known size container, like a gallon jug.

Remember to turn the water back on when you are finished.

EJ in NJ
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 7:43*am, Hipupchuck wrote:
WhiteTea77581 wrote:
I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

I have an old toilet probably 50's era. It is 6 x 19 and the water level
goes from 2 to 6.75 inches. (6x19x4.75) = 541.5 cu in or 2.3 gallons per
flush.
What does a new toilet use?- Hide quoted text -

2.3 isnt much, 1.6 is new low flush units and my old ones use near 5.

Posted to alt.home.repair

1 galon = 231 cubic inches.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"WhiteTea77581" wrote in
message
I searched the internet and found some different formulas
for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the
inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom
of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how
many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Smitty Two wrote in
news
In article
,
WhiteTea77581 wrote:

I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

1. Did you mean to say TANK, not BOWL?

2. If you found the formulas on the internet, why are you asking us
for them?

3. 18 x 14 x 9 = 2268 cubic inches

4. According to

http://www.onlineconversion.com

2268 cubic inches is approximately 9.818 US liquid gallons

Just an FYI, even quicket to just type:
2268 cubic inches to gallons
into the Google search bar and hit enter

2268 (cubic inches) = 9.81818182 US gallons
More about calculator.

5. I'm doubtful that represents the actual water used, because the
tank probably doesn't empty completely with each flush. And, 10
gallons seems a little excessive. And, I'm not sure the tank is really
a rectangular prism. (I am sure that the bowl isn't)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 5:47*am, Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,

2268 cubic inches is approximately 9.818 US liquid gallons

5. I'm doubtful that represents the actual water used, because the tank
probably doesn't empty completely with each flush. And, 10 gallons seems
a little excessive. And, I'm not sure the tank is really a rectangular
prism. (I am sure that the bowl isn't)

The older tanks were generous on the amount of water used.
It still flushes fine after a brick was put in the tank.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 6:41*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

[...]

I knew that there was a way to calculate the amount of gallons without
doing the above.

Andy in Pearland, Texas

Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581wrote:
I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

I have an old toilet probably 50's era. It is 6 x 19 and the water level
goes from 2 to 6.75 inches. (6x19x4.75) = 541.5 cu in or 2.3 gallons per
flush.
What does a new toilet use?- Hide quoted text -

2.3 isnt much, 1.6 is new low flush units and my old ones use near 5.

My daughter has one of new 1.6 gallon toilets.

I have nicknamed them "3 flushers".

Andy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 8:15*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
1 galon = 231 cubic inches.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Thanks.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ernie Willson wrote:

The calculation is correct and likely the number is accurate enough
for most purposes. If not then I suggest the following.

Turn off the water inlet valve to the toilet. Then remove the top and
mark the water height. Flush the toilet, and then refill the tank (to
your mark) with water from a known size container, like a gallon jug.

Remember to turn the water back on when you are finished.

EJ in NJ

That tells you how much water is used by the tank, but the toilet also fills
and uses the water in the bowl, too, which is filled by a mechanism other
than straight filling the tank.

To measure the water used by the bowl, remove the little hose that fills the
riser column in the tank, put it into an adequately sized container, and
flush the toilet.

When the tank finishes filling, measure the amount of water which
accumulated in the adequately sized container, and add that amount to the
volume of water used by the tank.

That will give you the total amount of water used by your toilet, including
both tank and bowl, per flush.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581 wrote in
:

WhiteTea77581wrote:
[...]

Makes you ****ed off and wanna return it...lodged turd and all.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581 wrote:

My daughter has one of new 1.6 gallon toilets.

I have nicknamed them "3 flushers".

No such problem here.

Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581wrote:
[...]

Depends on the amount of fiber in your diet. Increase your fiber for a
one flush sitting.

Backwards. More fiber means more "floaters." More floaters means more
flushes.

If you eat nothing but red meat ("sinkers"), you should be fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jul 15, 10:31 am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:
When the tank finishes filling, measure the amount of water which
accumulated in the adequately sized container, and add that amount to the
volume of water used by the tank.

This still doesn't completely get you there since the valve is also
spraying water into the tank while the flapper is open and some of
that is going throught the bowl and down the drain. How much depends
on the design and your water pressure. Some fill so slowly this
probably doesn't matter much.

About the only way to measure it accurately would be to either remove
the toilet, set it on top of a bucket and flush it (with the lines
still attached) or find another way to capture all the water from the
drain pipe.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581wrote:
[...]

Keep your day job, you won't make it as a comedienne.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
When the tank finishes filling, measure the amount of water which
accumulated in the adequately sized container, and add that amount to the
volume of water used by the tank.

This still doesn't completely get you there since the valve is also
spraying water into the tank while the flapper is open and some of
that is going throught the bowl and down the drain. How much depends
on the design and your water pressure. Some fill so slowly this
probably doesn't matter much.

About the only way to measure it accurately would be to either remove
the toilet, set it on top of a bucket and flush it (with the lines
still attached) or find another way to capture all the water from the
drain pipe.

It seems know one here is on municipal water? All I need to do is note
the meter reading before and after flush.
Posted to alt.home.repair

WhiteTea77581wrote:
[...]

The early ones were. We still have one in a seldom used half bath. When
the government mandated lower volume toilets the manufacturers fitted
smaller tanks without much thought. We have the newer version of the
same toilet in another bathroom and it has a much larger fully glazed
outlet and is a one flush version
Posted to alt.home.repair

Larry The Snake Guy wrote:
On Jul 15, 10:31 am, "Jon Danniken" wrote:

When the tank finishes filling, measure the amount of water which
accumulated in the adequately sized container, and add that amount
to the volume of water used by the tank.

This still doesn't completely get you there since the valve is also
spraying water into the tank while the flapper is open and some of
that is going throught the bowl and down the drain. How much depends
on the design and your water pressure. Some fill so slowly this
probably doesn't matter much.

About the only way to measure it accurately would be to either remove
the toilet, set it on top of a bucket and flush it (with the lines
still attached) or find another way to capture all the water from the
drain pipe.

Ah yes, I hadn't thought of that, good call.

For a rough estimate, one could use a timer to make note of the time elapsed
between activation of the handle and the flapper closing, and measure the
amount of water that comes out of the relevant outputs (one in tank, one for
bowl) in that time, then add it to the other tank and bowl numbers.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
When the tank finishes filling, measure the amount of water which
accumulated in the adequately sized container, and add that amount to the
volume of water used by the tank.

This still doesn't completely get you there since the valve is also
spraying water into the tank while the flapper is open and some of
that is going throught the bowl and down the drain. How much depends
on the design and your water pressure. Some fill so slowly this
probably doesn't matter much.

About the only way to measure it accurately would be to either remove
the toilet, set it on top of a bucket and flush it (with the lines
still attached) or find another way to capture all the water from the
drain pipe.

It seems know one here is on municipal water? All I need to do is note
the meter reading before and after flush.

I think most meters (at least around here), measure cubic feet of
water, not gallons. So don't forget to convert. Also, I'm not sure
they have the accuracy you need for very small measurements. You
might need to flush the toilet 100 times to get rid of rounding error.
Posted to alt.home.repair

* Take the top off the tank.
* Note the water level.
* Turn the water supply off
* FLush
* Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.
Posted to alt.home.repair

PatM wrote:

wrote:
[...]

Our utility uses meters that have both an odometer type drum and a
analog sweep hand with a fairly high resolution. I did check the meter
some time ago by dispensing a gallon according to the meter and weighing
it on an electronic scale. This was after having a wildly inaccurate
meter replaced. Usual for here is the meter reads and they bill us in
gallons. CCF is usually used for natural gas in my area.
Posted to alt.home.repair

I'm remembering the old joke about how to calcuate the
height of a building, using a barometer.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

Shut off water. Remove toilet from base, and from water
supply. Mount toilet over bucket. Reconnect water supply.
Pull flush handle.

This conversation ig getting a bit "out there" in space.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

I'm remembering the old joke about how to calcuate the
height of a building, using a barometer.

--

Wow - I was thinking the exact same thing and it's been about 33 years
since my junior high math teacher gave us that routine... It is one of
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
blueman wrote:

"Stormin Mormon" writes:

I'm remembering the old joke about how to calcuate the
height of a building, using a barometer.

--

Wow - I was thinking the exact same thing and it's been about 33 years
since my junior high math teacher gave us that routine... It is one of
my all-time favorites.

As I recall, there were *several* possibilities, none of which relied on
barometric pressure calculations. I've only got three in mind now, but I
think there were more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

And the joke is out there on the web, somewhere.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"blueman" wrote in message
"Stormin Mormon"
writes:

I'm remembering the old joke about how to calcuate the
height of a building, using a barometer.

--

Wow - I was thinking the exact same thing and it's been
about 33 years
since my junior high math teacher gave us that routine... It
is one of
my all-time favorites.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:29:08 -0400, Hipupchuck

* Take the top off the tank.
* Note the water level.
* Turn the water supply off
* FLush
* Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.

That 's retarded and inaccurate.

I take it anyone who does not agree with you is retarded and
inaccurate?

How do you figure it is inaccurate. I would suggest it is the
most accurate method. You have something more accurate?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:29:08 -0400, Hipupchuck

* Take the top off the tank.
* Note the water level.
* Turn the water supply off
* FLush
* Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.

That 's retarded and inaccurate.

I take it anyone who does not agree with you is retarded and
inaccurate?

How do you figure it is inaccurate. I would suggest it is the
most accurate method. You have something more accurate?

OK, sport. The "problem" with your method is that it ignores the water
that's in most toilets goes into the overflow tube.

You can account for this by:

1) Flush the toilet normally and time how long the float valve permits
water to flow.

2) Flush again but hold the flapper valve open and cause the water that
goes into the overflow tube to go into another contain. Let that water
flow for the time arrived at in #1, above.

3) Add water that would have gone down the overflow tube to your base
measurement.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 Jul 2009 15:12:41 -0400, "John Gilmer"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:29:08 -0400, Hipupchuck

* Take the top off the tank.
* Note the water level.
* Turn the water supply off
* FLush
* Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.

That 's retarded and inaccurate.

I take it anyone who does not agree with you is retarded and
inaccurate?

How do you figure it is inaccurate. I would suggest it is the
most accurate method. You have something more accurate?

OK, sport. The "problem" with your method is that it ignores the water
that's in most toilets goes into the overflow tube.

You have a good point there.

generator uses 25 gallons of gasoline per day estimates national grid buffalobill Home Repair 6 January 11th 06 08:06 PM
Where is the Water Leak? 6,000 Gallons missing EggRaid Home Repair 31 February 23rd 05 03:29 PM
Calculating tapers Bruno Metalworking 5 November 22nd 04 02:34 PM
Pillar (pole) able to sustain a cistern of 1000 litres (250 gallons) Cristian Home Repair 7 July 17th 03 06:00 PM