Posted to alt.home.repair
WhiteTea77581 WhiteTea77581 is offline

Default Calculating gallons used by a toilet

On Jul 15, 6:41*am, Ernie Willson wrote:
Smitty Two wrote:
In article
,
wrote:

I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.

I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.

Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?

Thanks.

1. Did you mean to say TANK, not BOWL?

2. If you found the formulas on the internet, why are you asking us for
them?

3. 18 x 14 x 9 = 2268 cubic inches

4. According to

http://www.onlineconversion.com

2268 cubic inches is approximately 9.818 US liquid gallons

5. I'm doubtful that represents the actual water used, because the tank
probably doesn't empty completely with each flush. And, 10 gallons seems
a little excessive. And, I'm not sure the tank is really a rectangular
prism. (I am sure that the bowl isn't)

The calculation is correct and likely the number is accurate enough for
most purposes. If not then I suggest the following.

Turn off the water inlet valve to the toilet. Then remove the top and
mark the water height. Flush the toilet, and then refill the tank (to
your mark) with water from a known size container, like a gallon jug.

Remember to turn the water back on when you are finished.

EJ in NJ

Thanks.

I knew that there was a way to calculate the amount of gallons without
doing the above.

Andy in Pearland, Texas