Posted to alt.home.repair
John Gilmer[_3_] John Gilmer[_3_] is offline

Default Calculating gallons used by a toilet

wrote in message
On Thu, 16 Jul 2009 08:29:08 -0400, Hipupchuck

* Take the top off the tank.
* Note the water level.
* Turn the water supply off
* FLush
* Manually refill the tank measuring the water as you fill.

That 's retarded and inaccurate.

I take it anyone who does not agree with you is retarded and
inaccurate?

How do you figure it is inaccurate. I would suggest it is the
most accurate method. You have something more accurate?

OK, sport. The "problem" with your method is that it ignores the water
that's in most toilets goes into the overflow tube.

You can account for this by:

1) Flush the toilet normally and time how long the float valve permits
water to flow.

2) Flush again but hold the flapper valve open and cause the water that
goes into the overflow tube to go into another contain. Let that water
flow for the time arrived at in #1, above.

3) Add water that would have gone down the overflow tube to your base
measurement.