Posted to alt.home.repair
George George is offline

Default Calculating gallons used by a toilet

WhiteTea77581 wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:50 am, ransley wrote:
On Jul 15, 7:43 am, Hipupchuck wrote:

WhiteTea77581wrote:
I searched the internet and found some different formulas for
calculating the volume of water used by a toilet.
I took measurements of a toilet made in the 1950's and the inside
measurements of the bowl were
18 x 14 x 9 inches . The height was measured from the bottom of the
bowl to the fill line.
Does anyone know the correct formula for calculating how many gallons
that represents?
Thanks.
I have an old toilet probably 50's era. It is 6 x 19 and the water level
goes from 2 to 6.75 inches. (6x19x4.75) = 541.5 cu in or 2.3 gallons per
flush.
What does a new toilet use?- Hide quoted text -

2.3 isnt much, 1.6 is new low flush units and my old ones use near 5.

My daughter has one of new 1.6 gallon toilets.

I have nicknamed them "3 flushers".

Andy

The early ones were. We still have one in a seldom used half bath. When
the government mandated lower volume toilets the manufacturers fitted
smaller tanks without much thought. We have the newer version of the
same toilet in another bathroom and it has a much larger fully glazed
outlet and is a one flush version