Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT - What to do with 15 gallons of shredded paper?

I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What other innovative ideas do folks here have?
Posted to alt.home.repair

" writes:

I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it
and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out.
What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

Put it out for paper recycling.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2014 11:08 AM, Tony Hwang wrote:
wrote:
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it
and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out.
What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

Hi,
You don't have recycle bin? In my city every household has 2 or 3 bins
supplied by the city. Black for real garbage for land fill, blue for
recyclables, green for organic matters to be recycled. My house
has only black and blue. I just put them in blue bin. My FP is NG
burning.

When we purchased our present home, with large yard and garden plot, our
son purchased a compost bin for me. All my vegetable scraps go in it,
along with some leaves, grass and straw. With a good sized veggie
garden, I've learned to re-use a lot of stuff. Grass clippings are
superb mulch on garden and beds. Slats from junk mini-blinds make great
markers for garden plants. Empty 2L bottles make good mini-greenhouses
for new plants when cold weather threatens. My neighbor has three huge
maple trees, and I conscripted most of his leaves to use for mulch on my
flower beds; free fertilizer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 27, 2014 10:46:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records

Spend a few years putting them back together. Great therapy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"IGot2P" wrote in message
Just curious, in what state must real estate records be shredded? After

the required period I simply put them in the recycle bin as is. Heck,
selling price, etc. are probably probably public records anyway. Yes, I
was a broker.

Most real estate records seem to be public record in NC. You can get on
line and look the up. Some records require that you make a trip to where the
records are kept to make it more diffuicult for just anyone to look at them.
I think the people that really have a daily need to can still get a special
password to look at them on line.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/27/2014 11:57 AM, Erik wrote:
On 1/27/14, 7:46 AM, wrote:
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it
and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out.
What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

I agree,the recycle bin gets the nod... and 15 gallons isn't very much.

Ever since I caught a competitor rummaging through my trash[1]... and
saw a piece on TV where someone was taking bags of shreddings and
piecing them back together; I hold off on putting them out till I happen
to be around on pickup day, and hear the truck coming, then they go out.
I also place shreddings loose in the can, so there's no tidy bag to make
off with.

Am I goofy about all this... maybe a little. However I don't generate
all that much sensitive material, but what little I do I don't want in
the competition or ID thieves hands. In reality, I only have need to
take out shreddings a few times a year...

Erik

[1] Have also heard accounts of 'trash pickers' occasionally being seen
pulling documents out of area trash cans.

Many years ago I took a class in ceramics, and shredded paper was used
to pack the fired ceramics for transport. I was unpacking my stuff at
home one day when the print on the shredded paper came into focus....the
computer paper had been shredded across the sheets so that the printing
was readable for a whole line. What actually got my attention was a
name that was very familiar, and the printout was a list of the local
phone co.'s employees, with salaries )

I separate the stuff I shred. When I shred something especially
sensitive, I fill the kitchen sink with hot water, soak the paper for a
while, then run it through the disposal. With old CD's that had
personal stuff on them, I wrapped in heavy duty foil, baked in oven for
about 10 min., took them out, scrunched up the wad while it was still in
the melt stage, and then disposed.

When I worked in HR years ago, I told a funny story about reading the
film ribbons on a typewriter. About two mos. later, my boss had word
processors for all employees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

The reason that I shredded the records was that there was a lot of financial information, and huge quantities of names and phone numbers and financial info associated with those names and my wife didn't think she wanted any of tha info made public, even after the fact.

I loved the idea of reading the typewrite ribbons to see what had been typed. I remember those typewriters, and I wish i had thought of it way back when. It could have made for some interesting blackmailg.

We have paper recycling, but I just was wondering if anyone here had some creative ideas. I am not into papier machie, but I was hoping I would get some burst of brilliance from one of our posters.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
" wrote:

I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records -
my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which had
to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I could try to burn the shredded
paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and compact it into "bricks" and then
burn them after they dired out. What other innovative ideas do folks here
have?

compost it or use it for mulch
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 07:46:33 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

Put in your compost pile?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and
compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What
other innovative ideas do folks here have?
--

Make bricks--take them to the shooting range.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Soak them in detergent and make fire starter logs.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 13:42:46 -0600, G. Morgan
wrote:

Let the garbage man take it?

--

No ****..... It amazes me why anyone would even waste their time to
post this......

Posted to alt.home.repair

Norminn posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

My neighbor has three huge
maple trees, and I conscripted most of his leaves to use for mulch on my
flower beds; free fertilizer.

My friend wanted leaves for mulch. I said come
over and rake up as many as you want. I saw his
eyes glaze over with "rake". Never did show up.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 29 Jan 2014 20:05:16 -0500, Tekkie®
wrote:

My friend wanted leaves for mulch. I said come
over and rake up as many as you want. I saw his
eyes glaze over with "rake". Never did show up.

Not a very good friend, right?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

And I know how to SNIP

wrote:

My friend wanted leaves for mulch. I said come
over and rake up as many as you want. I saw his
eyes glaze over with "rake". Never did show up.

Not a very good friend, right?

Not for raking but sometimes he was the goto guy! hehe

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 08:51:18 -0800 (PST), Thomas
wrote:

On Monday, January 27, 2014 10:46:33 AM UTC-5, wrote:
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records

Spend a few years putting them back together. Great therapy.

If he uses them for mulch, the bugs and worms will be able to read them.
They have lots of spare time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 27 Jan 2014 12:54:19 -0500, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

"IGot2P" wrote in message
Just curious, in what state must real estate records be shredded? After

the required period I simply put them in the recycle bin as is. Heck,
selling price, etc. are probably probably public records anyway. Yes, I
was a broker.

Most real estate records seem to be public record in NC. You can get on
line and look the up. Some records require that you make a trip to where the
records are kept to make it more diffuicult for just anyone to look at them.

I used to like going to the County Clerk's office, but now, there is no
point. There is no more to see there than there is at home. In fact
all they do is let you sit at a terminal.

So it's not so much fun anymore but it sure is convenient.

I think the people that really have a daily need to can still get a special
password to look at them on line.

Maybe so in your case.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, January 27, 2014 9:46:33 AM UTC-6, wrote:
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What other innovative ideas do folks here have?

I gave up on composting, my compost pile is 120 feet away from the house at my back property line, and with 24" of snow on the ground between the house and the pile, I just put it in with the rest of the paper recyling in the recycle bin, I did check with out recycling office to see that they would take shredded paper mixed in with all the other recyclables in the same bin(any paper, any metal, and plastics 1-5).
Posted to alt.home.repair

"BurfordTJustice" wrote in message ...

wrote in message
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and
compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What
other innovative ideas do folks here have?
--

Make bricks--take them to the shooting range.

I like that idea. Make them about 10 x 10 and one inch thick. Will try that
out for target practice. WW

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
I have accumulated 15 gallons of tightly packed shredded financial
records - my wife deecided to clean out her Real Estate record
accumulation which had to be shredded before disposing of it/them. I
could try to burn the shredded paper in our fireplace, or maybe wet it and
compact it into "bricks" and then burn them after they dired out. What
other innovative ideas do folks here have?

With that much shred paper, would make a heck of a
smoky fire in shred form. But that could be good,
if you were trying to drive bees away from a next.
Maybe donate the shred to a bee hive place?

--
..
Christopher A. Young