Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Shredded Plastic Tarp--Removing the Pieces

Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it in the
sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in the gravel and
some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe there's something non-toxic
that will dissolve them? Other ideas?
--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it in the
sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in the gravel and
some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe there's something non-toxic
that will dissolve them? Other ideas?

Do you have opposing thumbs?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Unfortunately, my question was posted near the start of a long trip. Now I
have an opportunity to respond. Do you something a little more positive to say?

Pardon me, I forgot to mention the particles are about 1 mm in diameter. My
guess is there's a simple chemical that will do the job, that is, dissolve
them.
Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it in the
sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in the gravel and
some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe there's something non-toxic
that will dissolve them? Other ideas?

Do you have opposing thumbs?

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net

Posted to alt.home.repair

"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it
in the sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in
the gravel and some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe
there's something non-toxic that will dissolve them? Other ideas?

Do you have opposing thumbs?

Unfortunately, my question was posted near the start of a long trip. Now I
have an opportunity to respond. Do you something a little more positive to say?

Pardon me, I forgot to mention the particles are about 1 mm in diameter. My
guess is there's a simple chemical that will do the job, that is, dissolve
them.

A chemical that dissolves plastic is bound to be toxic.
Bad idea.

Use those opposing thumbs.

A blower may help separate the plastic from the gravel but sooner
or later to you need to pick it up and dispose of it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

[...]

Ignore it and it will go away. Really. The process is already well
underway- another few months, and the UV will break down and/or bleach
those particles into invisibility. The past 3 years, visiting my other
house down is Katrina/Rita country, I've been observing the blue roofs,
and the half-life of those tarps seems to be about 18 months in the
Louisiana sun. Like the other guy said, a leaf blower may help, if you
can finnese the speed and distance and angle of attack to avoid getting
the gravel airborne.

--
aem sends...
Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote in
:

Dan Espen wrote:
"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

[...]

Birds will haul a lot of it away. Blue tarps are popular where I am. I've
found many old birds nest around containing the blue strings. I guess it
makes a kick-ass nest like the brick house of the 3 pigs story.
Posted to alt.home.repair

on 4/25/2008 12:18 AM W. Watson said the following:
Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it in
the sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in the
gravel and some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe there's
something non-toxic that will dissolve them? Other ideas?

A mower with a bagger will suck up most of it..

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dan Espen wrote:
"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

[...]

Perhaps I can train an opossum? Toxic to what?

Posted to alt.home.repair

aemeijers wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:
"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

[...]

In view of the non-answers above, this is, of course, the easiest solution
and one I'm depending upon. I'd nevertheless be willing to be there's some
simple household chemical that'll do the trick. Maybe diluted Clorox.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun 01 Jun 2008 12:02:59p, Watty told us...

aemeijers wrote:
Dan Espen wrote:
"W. Watson" writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

Well, I had a meltdown with one my blue plastic tarps by leaving it
in the sun and outdoors too long. Little blue strands are now in
the gravel and some plant areas. How to get rid of them? Maybe
there's something non-toxic that will dissolve them? Other ideas? Do
you have opposing thumbs?
[...]

Use tweezers!

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 06(VI)/01(I)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
"W. Watson" wrote:

Unfortunately, my question was posted near the start of a long trip.

Welcome home.

Now I
have an opportunity to respond. Do you something a little more positive to
say?

No. But I did crack up one of our roomies, which was my primary
intention.

Pardon me, I forgot to mention the particles are about 1 mm in diameter. My
guess is there's a simple chemical that will do the job, that is, dissolve
them.

Well, it's a bad guess. Try wikipedia's article on polyethylene:

"Most LDPE, MDPE and HDPE grades have excellent chemical resistance and
do not dissolve at room temperature because of their crystallinity.
Polyethylene (other than cross-linked polyethylene) usually can be
dissolved at elevated temperatures in aromatic hydrocarbons such as
toluene or xylene, or in chlorinated solvents such as trichloroethane or
trichlorobenzene."

Now, if you have time to run off on trips, you've got time to pick the
**** up, or pay some kid to do it. Let's say there's 10,000 pieces, and
you can pick up one piece every two seconds. Round that down to 25
pieces per minute. Figuring actively working 50 minutes per hour, that's
1250 pieces per hour. That's exactly one 8 hour day of the simplest
manual labor. I hope you're not bemoaning your terrible plight.