Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Removing paint from plastic

Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper, or is
there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I sell
it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my hand and
wrist rested while using it.

Many thanks,
Paul

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Paul Moore" wrote:
Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper, or
is there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I sell
it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my hand and
wrist rested while using it.

How can you remove something that isn't there? Or do you mean remove the
plastic from the rest of the case so that it matches the worn area? Wouldn't
paint stripper 'dissolve' plastic and possibly render this laptop
unsellable?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Paul Moore wrote:
Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper,
or is there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I
sell it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my
hand and wrist rested while using it.

I doubt there's any paint involved. This type of plastic is usually self
coloured. It can change colour where worn, though.

--
*Would a fly without wings be called a walk?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul Moore wrote:
Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper, or is
there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I sell
it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my hand and
wrist rested while using it.

Don't use paintstripper.
Many plastics have very bad reactions to the chemicals in paintstripper,
and you probably don't have a spare bit to test.
Unfortunately, there is no good solution.

Removing the affected bit, and removing the paint with very fine
sandpaper, then wire wool, then plastic polishing may work - sort of.

Also, if it's a better class of laptop, it may be metal, are you sure
it's not?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul Moore wrote:
Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper,
or is there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I
sell it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my
hand and wrist rested while using it.

I doubt there's any paint involved. This type of plastic is usually self
coloured. It can change colour where worn, though.

Not so. Its uusally sprayed with an ultra thin layer of something ultra
cheap.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Paul Moore wrote:
Just wondering. Is it just a question of using ordinary paintstripper,
or is there more to it?

I'd like to remove the paint from the sides of my laptop PC, before I
sell it. The paint at the edges and corners has worn through, where my
hand and wrist rested while using it.

I doubt there's any paint involved. This type of plastic is usually self
coloured. It can change colour where worn, though.

Not so. Its uusally sprayed with an ultra thin layer of something ultra
cheap.

I doubt it's ultra-cheap.
The wear on those areas is quite high.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Thanks for the advice.

No, it definitely is painted. On the worn areas, the black plastic is
showing through. I'll just leave it the way it is. Stupid that the
manufacturer (Toshiva) painted the bits that would be most subject to wear.

Paul