Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Shredded paper...

So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Cheers
Pete
--
http://www.GymRatZ.co.uk - Fitness+Gym Equipment.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Got a garden? If so, mix it with the (non animal product) food waste and
compost it.

Paul DS.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Paul D Smith wrote:
"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Got a garden? If so, mix it with the (non animal product) food waste and
compost it.

That's what our local authority does, we can put shredded paper and
cardboard into the garden waste bins whose contents go to be composted.

--
Chris Green
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Barnes wrote:

Some local authorities are obviously better than others. He

What Can Go In My Blue Wheelie Bin?

Newspapers
Magazines
Junk mail
Catalogues
Envelopes
Shredded paper

Wrapping paper (no foil wrapping paper)
All types of cardboard
Telephone directories
Yellow Pages
Greetings cards
Cardboard milk, juice and drink cartons.

Not necessarily better. Our council (Nottinghamshire) tells us
that shredded paper is OK in our recycling bins.

When I visited the sorting facility recently, we saw that an
early stage of the process was a screen which removed all small
"contamination" which then went straight to landfill. This would
clearly pass any paper shreddings.

It is seen in this video where the actual process begins about
2/3 through.

http://www.veoliaenvironmentalservices.co.uk/Nottinghamshire/Facilities/Existing-facilities/Materials-Recovery-Facility/Mansfield-MRF-Video1/

I queried this, and they said that I was correct, but they
felt that it was psychologically better to encourage recycling.

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-16, Paul D wrote:
ipment wrote in message
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Got a garden? If so, mix it with the (non animal product) food waste and
compost it.

S'what I do. Shredder output goes on the compost heap.

+1

But not on windy days...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2012-02-16, Paul D wrote:
ipment wrote in message
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Got a garden? If so, mix it with the (non animal product) food waste and
compost it.

S'what I do. Shredder output goes on the compost heap.

+1

But not on windy days...

I use a cheap "dalek" worm/compost bin with a lid. (Otherwise, good
point.)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 10:49, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Cheers
Pete

When I used to produce a lot, mine always went to a local animal
sanctuary for bedding.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 12:31, Nightjar wrote:

When I used to produce a lot, mine always went to a local animal
sanctuary for bedding.

I like that Idea Colin.
:¬)

Don't have a garden worthy of compost at the moment so that idea
currently a non-starter.

Guess I could have a word with the tip guys and see what they suggest.

Thanks all.

--

http://www.water-rower.co.uk
Posted to uk.d-i-y

www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Don't have a garden worthy of compost at the moment so that idea
currently a non-starter.

Do you have a garden you don't like? It's quite good as a mulch too - stops
things growing through it (I almost killed the rhubarb that way ).

I'm told it's not good as hamster bedding...

Theo
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:31:34 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 16/02/2012 10:49, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread.... I have an ever growing
store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was to mush&squash it into
brick type things to burn but the general opinion of these brick/log
makes seems to be far less than favourable. So do I just leave it in
the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable bin on passing the tip or
can I put them to a better use? (Not loft insulation as it's already up
to full spec..)

Cheers
Pete

When I used to produce a lot, mine always went to a local animal
sanctuary for bedding.

But not if it includes fragments of staples.

--
Use the BIG mirror service in the UK:
http://www.mirrorservice.org

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 16:23, Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 16 Feb 2012 12:31:34 +0000, Nightjar wrote:

On 16/02/2012 10:49, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread.... I have an ever growing
store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was to mush&squash it into
brick type things to burn but the general opinion of these brick/log
makes seems to be far less than favourable. So do I just leave it in
the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable bin on passing the tip or
can I put them to a better use? (Not loft insulation as it's already up
to full spec..)

Cheers
Pete

When I used to produce a lot, mine always went to a local animal
sanctuary for bedding.

But not if it includes fragments of staples.

All mine came out of lever arch files, so that wasn't a problem.
However, now that you mention it, I think that was one reason they liked
what I sent.

Colin Bignell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/02/2012 10:49, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Cheers
Pete

Noting all the other useful responses on this thread with great ideas
(mostly compost), and noting that some council paper recycling schemes
don't accept shredded paper, (big) if you're in North
Yorkshire/Lancashire, here in Settle, for our swimming pool, we have a
paper collection, and provided it's bagged (preferably paper-bagged),
they are happy to take shredded paper. It supports the pool (all
community funded, very little council funding) to the tune of about £5k p.a.

http://www.settleswimmingpool.co.uk/

Allan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"www.GymRatZ.co.uk" wrote in message
So, going on from the paper-recycling thread....
I have an ever growing store of shredded paper. Originally the plan was
to mush&squash it into brick type things to burn but the general opinion
of these brick/log makes seems to be far less than favourable.
So do I just leave it in the black bags and drop off in non-recyclable
bin on passing the tip or can I put them to a better use? (Not loft
insulation as it's already up to full spec..)

Along the lines of Colin's suggestion. Perhaps offer it on your local
Freegle / Freecycle group (http://www.ilovefreegle.org/). We have a woman
(found through Freegle) who takes all we can supply her with as bedding for
her ferrets.