Posted to rec.woodworking

Default gallons of glue

on amazon i saw gallons of titebond for $16-17 with free shipping

seemed too good to be true then i noticed the price was only for prime
customers and i did not see a price for non-prime customers

something new afoot at amazon

do not look there that often so maybe i never noticed that

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/10/2016 1:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

on amazon i saw gallons of titebond for $16-17 with free shipping

seemed too good to be true then i noticed the price was only for prime
customers and i did not see a price for non-prime customers

something new afoot at amazon

do not look there that often so maybe i never noticed that

Titebond HAS an expiration date I would not advise buying any more than
you can use in a year and if it has an extended open time feature you
have to shake it periodically, monthly, so that the ingredient stay
mixed. I have had half a gallon go bad in less than 18 months.
Posted to rec.woodworking

I suspect the note on prime is the vender is a prime customer shipper.
There are non-prime shippers that slow boat stuff. Prime expresses out
stuff if you are prime. Otherwise slow or medium boat.

Martin - aka Amazon Prime and vendor.

On 4/10/2016 3:14 PM, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2016 1:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

on amazon i saw gallons of titebond for $16-17 with free shipping

seemed too good to be true then i noticed the price was only for prime
customers and i did not see a price for non-prime customers

something new afoot at amazon

do not look there that often so maybe i never noticed that

Titebond HAS an expiration date I would not advise buying any more than
you can use in a year and if it has an extended open time feature you
have to shake it periodically, monthly, so that the ingredient stay
mixed. I have had half a gallon go bad in less than 18 months.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sunday, April 10, 2016 at 4:15:16 PM UTC-4, Leon wrote:
On 4/10/2016 1:39 PM, Electric Comet wrote:

on amazon i saw gallons of titebond for $16-17 with free shipping

seemed too good to be true then i noticed the price was only for prime
customers and i did not see a price for non-prime customers

something new afoot at amazon

do not look there that often so maybe i never noticed that

Titebond HAS an expiration date I would not advise buying any more than
you can use in a year and if it has an extended open time feature you
have to shake it periodically, monthly, so that the ingredient stay
mixed. I have had half a gallon go bad in less than 18 months.

Does Festool glue dry green? ;-)

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, John McCoy wrote:

for most people it's a false economy.

True, to a point.

I live in the CO Rockies, at least 100 mis from the closest urban
center. Cheaper to mail order than to drive 200 mi, round trip.
Still, Prime does encourage one to order more than one really needs.
I recall ordering something for less the $2.50 and receiving it, on my
doorstep, in 2 days, exactly as Prime promises. OTOH, I didn't really
need it and I no longer subscribe to Prime. I now spend less $$$$ on
junk I don't really need. Those higher shipping prices keep me and my
impulsive spending quirks in check.

nb
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, John McCoy wrote:

for most people it's a false economy.

True, to a point.

I live in the CO Rockies, at least 100 mis from the closest urban
center. Cheaper to mail order than to drive 200 mi, round trip.
Still, Prime does encourage one to order more than one really needs.
I recall ordering something for less the $2.50 and receiving it, on my
doorstep, in 2 days, exactly as Prime promises. OTOH, I didn't really
need it and I no longer subscribe to Prime. I now spend less $$$$ on
junk I don't really need. Those higher shipping prices keep me and my
impulsive spending quirks in check.

nb

I'm a non-Prime user.

An Amazon technique that I often use is to look on the right hand side of
the main listing page of an item for the "Other Sellers on Amazon" heading.
I then click on the link at the bottom of that list that will say something
like:

"14 used & new from $11.86"

I then sort the resulting list by Price + Shipping. Quite often I can find
the same item as the "main listing" for a cheaper "Price + Shipping".
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I then sort the resulting list by Price + Shipping. Quite often I can find
the same item as the "main listing" for a cheaper "Price + Shipping".

One of the things I dislike about the current Amazon policy, quite
often the shipping price is now hidden. The shipping price (w/o
Prime) usta be displayed in the price box. Now, Amazon does not
reveal the shipping costs until they come up on the check-out page.
IOW, I gotta order it, go through all the rigmarole of providing a
payment source, etc, and then it finally provides the shipping price
info. Screw that! More and more, I'm becoming disenchanted with
Amazon and the cheap junk they sell.

BTW, watch those "used" options. I once bought a used book from
Amazon. The price was amazing, but it took almost 30 days to ship to
me (within USA!). I didn't know USPS service could be so slow.
Something else I purchased(new) on Amazon, which was shipped directly
from Japan, took only 10 days. 8|

nb

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I then sort the resulting list by Price + Shipping. Quite often I can find
the same item as the "main listing" for a cheaper "Price + Shipping".

One of the things I dislike about the current Amazon policy, quite
often the shipping price is now hidden. The shipping price (w/o
Prime) usta be displayed in the price box. Now, Amazon does not
reveal the shipping costs until they come up on the check-out page.

Makes perfect sense.

They do display the shipping cost on items shipped by a third part.

They do not display shipping cost for Amazon item because they don't
know until the order is complete. If you order one item, easy to
calculate and display, but when packaging a group of things, 2 + 2 may
equal 3 when combined, saving you money. I've had items that would cost
$9 shipping for one, but for two the shipping is still $9.

They also offer a few shipping options to choose from at varying cost.
Same rules apply when grouping items.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

I agree.

I'm not a prime member, but I am a member. Amazon knows my address and my
payment method whenever I log in. All I need to do is add something to
my cart and I can get a shipping cost. Unless the seller ships at a flat
rate to anyone/anywhere (it happens) the "system" needs to know the
"where & what" associated with an order before it can tell you the shipping
cost.
Posted to rec.woodworking

notbob wrote in
:

One of the things I dislike about the current Amazon policy, quite
often the shipping price is now hidden. The shipping price (w/o
Prime) usta be displayed in the price box. Now, Amazon does not
reveal the shipping costs until they come up on the check-out page.
IOW, I gotta order it, go through all the rigmarole of providing a
payment source, etc, and then it finally provides the shipping price
info. Screw that! More and more, I'm becoming disenchanted with
Amazon and the cheap junk they sell.

BTW, watch those "used" options. I once bought a used book from
Amazon. The price was amazing, but it took almost 30 days to ship to
me (within USA!). I didn't know USPS service could be so slow.
Something else I purchased(new) on Amazon, which was shipped directly
from Japan, took only 10 days. 8|

nb

The shipping price for third party sellers is clearly displayed. For
items sold & shipped by Amazon, all I see is the Prime logo. A $35
purchase is all it takes to get free shipping, so most people try for
that.

When it comes to third party sellers, yes it can take forever. I've had
two (usually slow boat from China sellers) that have sent me half the
order and then made good when I complained. When you click on the
"used" or the "other buying options" page, you'll see the price,
shipping, any tax collected by Amazon, condition, estimated shipping
time, and where it's shipping from.

Puckdropper
Posted to rec.woodworking

On 2016-04-11, DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

Yep! They don't know if you're eligible for free shipping, either.
I'm not a Prime member but I've never paid shipping either. I just
keep things in my basket, or a list, until it gets to the point where
I can get free shipping.

Amazon knows, better than anyone, how to fulfill orders and has the
shipping companies under their thumb. Anyone who thinks they know how
to do order fulfillment is certainly welcome to start a company to
compete with Amazon.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 11 Apr 2016 19:56:26 GMT, Puckdropper
puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:

notbob wrote in
:

[...]

nitpick $49 now.

When it comes to third party sellers, yes it can take forever. I've had
two (usually slow boat from China sellers) that have sent me half the
order and then made good when I complained. When you click on the
"used" or the "other buying options" page, you'll see the price,
shipping, any tax collected by Amazon, condition, estimated shipping
time, and where it's shipping from.

Puckdropper

Posted to rec.woodworking

On 4/11/2016 11:31 AM, Leon wrote:

Actually you also get Prime TV and music, the TV can be worth it by itself.

Been a Prime member since its inception and I've saved a bunch buying
from Amazon.

Although I do buy quite a bit for personal use, I also do a lot of
ordering/buying fixtures and items for clients, many of which are hard
to get locally, but can be delivered in two days/free shipping using Prime.

If I went to a local supplier for many of these things which are not
normally in stock, I would have to pay much more in shipping, and wait
much longer for delivery.

--
eWoodShop: www.eWoodShop.com
Wood Shop: www.e-WoodShop.net

Posted to rec.woodworking

krw wrote:
I'm not a Prime member but I've never paid shipping either. I just
keep things in my basket, or a list, until it gets to the point where
I can get free shipping.

When they raised their free-shipping cutoff from $25 to $35, they
significantly impacted their sales to me. Typically, what I wanted was
less than $25, but I could add something. I only need so many razor
blades...lol
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Mon, 11 Apr 2016 17:26:35 -0400, Bill
wrote:

krw wrote:
I'm not a Prime member but I've never paid shipping either. I just
keep things in my basket, or a list, until it gets to the point where
I can get free shipping.

When they raised their free-shipping cutoff from $25 to $35, they
significantly impacted their sales to me. Typically, what I wanted was
less than $25, but I could add something. I only need so many razor
blades...lol

It could be $25, $50 (now), or $100, and it wouldn't change how much I
order from them. It would just affect the timing. Nothing I buy from
Amazon is an emergency. I can wait a few weeks or even a month.
Likewise, two day shipping doesn't thrill me much either.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I am a PRIME customer and subscribe. I buy from Amazon who is PRIME.

I buy on Amazon from vendors other than Amazon who are PRIME vendors -
they comply to strict shipping rules set forth by Amazon to be Prime.

I buy from non-Prime vendors and get the material whenever.

Prime(Amazon or other) sends me most things in 2 days. I might get it
from New York book seller or from the Dallas area Amazon or from California.

Yea I also have free movies, but I buy movies also. I've bought
groceries when I could not find that product in local stores.

I'm an Amazon vendor - e.g. you buy a book from them and you see new and
used - you go to that hyperlink and you can select only Prime vendors or
all vendors.... I am Not a Prime Amazon Vendor myself.

Martin

On 4/11/2016 7:57 AM, John McCoy wrote:
Martin Eastburn wrote in news:WpEOy.11706$__
:

I suspect the note on prime is the vender is a prime customer shipper.

No, Prime is Amazon's subscription service. For $100 per
year you get free shipping, discounts, and a few other perks.
Worth it if you buy lots and lots of stuff from Amazon, but
for most people it's a false economy.

John

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Sun, 10 Apr 2016 21:58:39 -0500
Martin Eastburn wrote:

I suspect the note on prime is the vender is a prime customer shipper.

not sure who was doing the fulfillment on the glue but i did not see
other prices there was only a prime offer

i found it locally

i do not like to get too low on glue