Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Heat Pump -- proper orientation of the A-coil

I have what is a simple question I hope. For a horizontally installed heat pump system what is the proper orientation of the A-coil () relative to the airflow?

1. supply return
2. supply return

My new system is a 2., and I am wondering if this could have something to do with the coil not drying properly between cycles when in AC causing musty smell.

Thanks for any input.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/3/2017 8:17 AM, Cental VA wrote:
I have what is a simple question I hope. For a horizontally installed heat pump system what is the proper orientation of the A-coil () relative to the airflow?

1. supply return
2. supply return

My new system is a 2., and I am wondering if this could have something to do with the coil not drying properly between cycles when in AC causing musty smell.

Thanks for any input.

Regarding A-coil orientation, check the manufacturers install guide.

Also, make sure the A-coil condensate pan is draining properly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 7:17:16 AM UTC-6, Cental VA wrote:
I have what is a simple question I hope. For a horizontally installed heat pump system what is the proper orientation of the A-coil () relative to the airflow?

1. supply return
2. supply return

My new system is a 2., and I am wondering if this could have something to do with the coil not drying properly between cycles when in AC causing musty smell.

Thanks for any input.

The A-coil should be situated with the top of the A pointing up because the condensation drips down the sides to the drip pan. The direction of air flow really doesn't matter. What can often happen is crud can build up in the drip pan surrounding the sides of the A-coil and cause the water to drip into the air handler/furnace. You can get coil cleaner from Home Depot, Lowe's, Amazon and even Walmart. Sometime the coil is so dirty that it must be removed from the housing to clean it. Depends or your setup. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Web-AC-Fl...WACF/202319836

https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Cleans-...ls/1000024695#

https://www.amazon.com/Evaporator-Co...i l%20Cleaner

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Aerosol-E...Rinse/39088018

https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...clean+ac+coils

[8~{} Uncle Dirty Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 07:04:55 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

On an air handler designed to be mounted horizontally the A coil is
really a coil pointing in the direction of the air flow. I would
suggest that the fan is not running long enough after the compressor
turns off. He may have the wrong thermostat or it may be installed or
adjusted wrong.
RTFM
Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.war.vietnam,alt.support.depression,alt.slack

On 3/3/2017 5:17 AM, Cental VA wrote:
I have what is a simple question I hope. For a horizontally installed heat pump system what is the proper orientation of the A-coil () relative to the airflow?

Well.... Furst off, that depends upon which hemisphere you live in.
The primary A-coil should, under most situations, induce a
counter-demand fluxation when activated. This is, of course, applicable
to locations considered supra-hemispherical. Contrariwise, A-coils
located within influence of the sub-hemisphere are bound by Flocktam's
Law of Reciprocity, where C=2BË.

I hope this helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, March 3, 2017 at 10:35:06 AM UTC-6, wrote:
[...]

Oh hell, I forgot about those because most of the horizontal flow systems I worked on were commercial systems with a flat evap coil standing upright. Come to think of it some were slanted but it was rare for me to see an A-coil on its side. He still needs to clean it. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Slanted Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 09:09:34 -0800 (PST)
Uncle Monster wrote:

I forgot about those because most of the horizontal flow systems

Yet that is exactly what the OP asked about..

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 05:17:11 -0800 (PST)

For a horizontally installed heat pump system

Posted to alt.home.repair

Cental VA wrote:

For a horizontally installed heat pump system

Glad you're an expert on HVAC systems burford Turd juicer. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle AC Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

They are pretty common here where air handlers end up in 3:12 attics
or hanging from garage ceilings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It's been several years since I've been able to do any work but ironically the last AC units I repaired were for the widow of my late friend GB. GB and me did a lot of HVAC work together. The 2 air handlers are in the attic and I'm visualizing the evaporators and the drain pans. I'm getting a brain tickle about multi position evaporators we were buying from the suppliers we were using. Like I wrote, most of the HVAC work I was doing was on larger commercial units which had flat evaporator coils. I liked them better because there is more room in those things and they're easier to clean. It's also a lot easier to service the big ones. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Big Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 6:23:07 AM UTC-6, burfordTjustice wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 11:08:51 -0800 (PST)
Uncle Monster wrote:

Butt out burfor Turd juicer! Grow up über-troll! Get out of your mommy's basement and get a job!

[8~{} Uncle Adult Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 09:09:34 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote in

[8~{} Uncle Slanted Monster

Hey U.M! How goes it!!! I've been away in the hospital for a while
and haven't been able to get in here. How's it going for you Bud?
Last I read you were having some health problems down in Birmingham.
Any improvement on that?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 7:04:56 AM UTC-6, JoeJo1431 wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 09:09:34 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote in

[8~{} Uncle Slanted Monster

Hey U.M! How goes it!!! I've been away in the hospital for a while
and haven't been able to get in here. How's it going for you Bud?
Last I read you were having some health problems down in Birmingham.
Any improvement on that?

Thanks for asking my friend! I'm dealing with chronic pain as usual. Next week, I have an appointment at the UAB orthopedic clinic to get checked out. I need new knees and shoulders so I'll see what the doctors think. I haven't been able to walk since late 2014 when I fell at home. It's so frustrating to be unable to get up and go to do something or crawl under a bed or table when I drop something. At least I can play on the computer. When I was in my 50's I could still pick up a car engine and climb ladders like a big monkey. Now I can't take care of myself and that makes me angry. It used to be me holding the door for somebody in a wheelchair. I can chase girls but I can't catch them anymore because they just walk up stairs and get away. I'm a survivor and too dang ornery to die but I'm so fraking frustrated that I can't take care of myself. Grrrr! ”Œ( à²*_à²*)”˜

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 4 Mar 2017 06:23:52 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote in

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 7:04:56 AM UTC-6, JoeJo1431 wrote:
On Fri, 3 Mar 2017 09:09:34 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote in

[8~{} Uncle Slanted Monster

Hey U.M! How goes it!!! I've been away in the hospital for a while
and haven't been able to get in here. How's it going for you Bud?
Last I read you were having some health problems down in Birmingham.
Any improvement on that?

Thanks for asking my friend! I'm dealing with chronic pain as usual.

Bummer man. Sorry to read that. Chronic pain can really wear you out.

Next week, I have an appointment at the UAB orthopedic clinic to get checked out.

Good luck with that. I'm glad you can still contribute via computer.
Every little bit helps.

Take care.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 3:54:50 PM UTC-6, JoeJo1431 wrote:
[...]

Thanks my friend. I'd go nuts without The Internet and being able to converse with people from all over the country and the world. When I'm online and concentrating on something, the pain fades into the background. That's why I read a lot.

You get a different perspective of the world when your eye level is four feet off the ground after it's been six feet up for about a half century. I now remember what it was like when I was a little kid and could neither reach a lot of things nor had the strength to pick up many items. Dang it's so frustrating to be unable to take care of myself! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/03/2017 04:24, Uncle Monster wrote:
[....]
Thanks my friend. I'd go nuts without The Internet and being able to converse with people from all over the country and the world. When I'm online and concentrating on something, the pain fades into the background. That's why I read a lot.

You get a different perspective of the world when your eye level is four feet off the ground after it's been six feet up for about a half century. I now remember what it was like when I was a little kid and could neither reach a lot of things nor had the strength to pick up many items. Dang it's so frustrating to be unable to take care of myself! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

Hello UFM :-)

I've been thinking of you - I've left an item of interest for you he-

Subject: How to Install Debian, Ubuntu, or Kali Linux on Your Chromebook

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNCLE MONSTER! (was - Heat Pump -- proper orientation of theA-coil)

On 05/03/2017 12:26, David B. wrote:
On 05/03/2017 04:24, Uncle Monster wrote:
[....]
Thanks my friend. I'd go nuts without The Internet and being able to
converse with people from all over the country and the world. When I'm
online and concentrating on something, the pain fades into the
background. That's why I read a lot.

You get a different perspective of the world when your eye level is
four feet off the ground after it's been six feet up for about a half
century. I now remember what it was like when I was a little kid and
could neither reach a lot of things nor had the strength to pick up
many items. Dang it's so frustrating to be unable to take care of
myself! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Frustrated Monster

Hello UFM :-)

I've been thinking of you - I've left an item of interest for you he-

*Can you not hear me*?!!!

http://al.howardknight.net/msgid.cgi...%40fx31.fr7%3E

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, March 6, 2017 at 11:46:14 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
[...]

OK, I see it now. I'd seen something about loading Linux on Chromebooks and considered it but I'd need to put another hard drive in Chrommie. The little Chromebook has an SSD drive the size of my thumb with a capacity of only 16gb. Older versions of the Chromebook came with a 320gb hard drive and are a better choice for experimenting on. t(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Shiny Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2017 06:23, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

Good Morning, Uncle Shiny Monster! :-)

I wasn't really trying to 'ram it down your throat' but I find it
frustrating when I TRY to help someone and my post is apparently ignored.

Thank you for explaining the technical limitation of your hardware.

--
"Do something wonderful, people may imitate it." (Albert Schweitzer)
"The important thing is not to stop questioning."
- Albert Einstein

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:21:02 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:
[...]

I wasn't ignoring you. When I went to howardknight.net I saw a word wall and I usually skip over such things. When I took the time to scroll down, I saw the information you referred to. It's that simple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Simple Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/03/2017 07:19, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Tuesday, March 7, 2017 at 5:21:02 AM UTC-6, David B. wrote:

[....]
Good Morning, Uncle Shiny Monster! :-)

I wasn't really trying to 'ram it down your throat' but I find it
frustrating when I TRY to help someone and my post is apparently ignored.

Thank you for explaining the technical limitation of your hardware.
--

I wasn't ignoring you. When I went to howardknight.net I saw a word wall and I usually skip over such things. When I took the time to scroll down, I saw the information you referred to. It's that simple. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

[8~{} Uncle Simple Monster

That's good to know. :-)

If you get bored today, have a glance he-

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/03...rground_sales/