Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Evaporator coil orientation question

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds strange. Where does the water condensate go?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message
I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame
evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame
evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned
exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on
its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect
that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?

Posted to alt.home.repair

.

wrote in message

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame

evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame

evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned

exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on

its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect

that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?

To the pan below the coil, what else?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame

evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame

evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned

exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on

its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect

that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?

To the pan below the coil, what else?- Hide quoted text -

so the one side of the a-coil is laying in the pan??
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 4:13:01 PM UTC-7, hr(bob) wrote:
On Aug 21, 6:06*pm, wrote:

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 3:23:07 PM UTC-7, Stormin Mormon wrote:

Sounds strange. Where does the water condensate go?

Christopher A. Young

Learn more about Jesus

*
www.lds.org

.

wrote in message

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame

evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame

evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned

exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on

its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect

that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?

To the pan below the coil, what else?- Hide quoted text -

so the one side of the a-coil is laying in the pan??

No only the foot of the A is. I did say “the letter A turned exactly 90 degrees” NOT 135 degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Most A coils I've worked with, the condensate pan is on the open end of the
A. So, if the coils is like a orientation, the pan is on the side.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

I have a client with a horizontal flow air-handler that has his A-frame

evaporator with the air flow coming from the head of the A. The A-frame

evaporator has been installed on its side (imagine the letter A turned

exactly 90 degrees) instead of on its back (imagine the letter A lying on

its back). I have never seen an evaporator installed this way and suspect

that it is wrong. Can anyone give me any information please?

To the pan below the coil, what else?

Posted to alt.home.repair

The A coils I've seen, that would put the condensate tray on the side.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

No only the foot of the A is. I did say “the letter A turned exactly 90
degrees” NOT 135 degrees.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

No only the foot of the A is. I did say “the letter A turned exactly 90
degrees” NOT 135 degrees.

how is the coil set at 90, when the A is upright, it rests on the pan,
at 90 something must be holding it up
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message

No only the foot of the A is. I did say “the letter A turned exactly 90

degrees” NOT 135 degrees.

how is the coil set at 90, when the A is upright, it rests on the pan,

at 90 something must be holding it up

Frame of the coil is rigid so that’s not hard to do. The frame can be screwed on to the housing in any orientation. My guess is that the installer couldn’t get the lines to come out in the direction that he wanted so to make it easy on himself he removed the coil from its housing, turned it 90 degrees and re-inserted it back into its housing. Here is a picture of a normal coil with housing. Just imagine removing the coil, turning it 90 degrees and re-inserting it into the same housing.

http://s3.pexsupply.com/images/produ...rator-coil.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, August 21, 2012 10:49:46 PM UTC-7, micky wrote:
On Tue, 21 Aug 2012 16:17:35 -0700 (PDT),

wrote:

so the one side of the a-coil is laying in the pan??

No only the foot of the A is. I did say �the letter A turned exactly 90 degrees� NOT 135 degrees.

If you want help, you're going to have to talk nicer to these people.

Two of your four posts so far have a measure of sarcasm. Above, it's

not necessary to prove you said it right the first time, nor to go

into numeric detail when you try to do so.

Does the AC function as expected? Or do you think there is a problem

related to the air coming to the A from the top versus the bottom.

I'll admit that that is not the same as bloging in one end of a straw

versus blowing in the other end, but in general I don't see why it

should matter.

Even if someone with experience here said, " I think it's better if

the air comes in through the bottom of the A", I don't think that's

enough to warrant charging a customer to turn the evaporator around,

even if it were easy, and even you think it will be hard.

Look at their webpages, and if that doesn't answer your questoin, call

the manufacturer of the A-frame and ask a tech if it matters which way

t he air goes.

Is the AC newsgroup still around?

The problem was that the evaporator was freezing over. It may have been because most of the registers were closed. It remains to be seen if it was due to that or some other reason. I will be waiting to hear from my client. It seems to me however that in its present configuration the top leg of the A blows the condensate on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in the air flow and to eventually cause it to freeze over.
I apologize to anyone who may feel that I wasn’t nice but sometimes I get frustrated when I think for an hour as to how to put something into words that I hope will be understood but get misunderstood anyway.
I didn’t see a name plate on the coil. There may be one inside its housing but I didn’t want to waste my time taking it apart if my theory is wrong.
If anyone knows the exact name of the AC newsgroup I would appreciate it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Yes, alt.hvac is still around.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

"micky" wrote in message

Is the AC newsgroup still around?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Coil freezing over, is often due to reduced air flow. Or, oddly enough, can
be due to low freon. Sometimes due to a restriction in the freon line.

The AC group is alt.hvac but most of those folks read here, too.

Would you like to *do* something about the freezing over? Or, is that just
something you mention in passing? Maybe freezing over isn't a concern?

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..

wrote in message

The problem was that the evaporator was freezing over. It may have been
because most of the registers were closed. It remains to be seen if it was
due to that or some other reason. I will be waiting to hear from my client.
It seems to me however that in its present configuration the top leg of the
A blows the condensate on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in
the air flow and to eventually cause it to freeze over.
I apologize to anyone who may feel that I wasn’t nice but sometimes I get
frustrated when I think for an hour as to how to put something into words
that I hope will be understood but get misunderstood anyway.
I didn’t see a name plate on the coil. There may be one inside its housing
but I didn’t want to waste my time taking it apart if my theory is wrong.
If anyone knows the exact name of the AC newsgroup I would appreciate it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Good grief. Of course if you close off most of the
registers there is a good chance you're going to
freeze the coils. Surely that will do more to reduce
the airflow than the air flowing through the coil
backwards. Also, if it were the coil orientation, how
long has it been installed? If the coil has been there
for a substantial time and this problem is new, it
would suggest that it's not the coil orientation.

The units I've seen, I have never seen a coil
installed that way though. Very likely it was installed
wrong. Did you google for the install manual?

I will be waiting to hear from my client. It seems to me however that
in its present configuration the top leg of the A blows the condensate
on to the bottom leg and would cause a restriction in the air flow and
to eventually cause it to freeze over.

I would think it would take a hell of a lot of condensate
for the condensate to significantly reduce the airflow.
Likely more than the unit could produce. It's not like
water is coming out at 1 GPM.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 22 Aug 2012 08:12:07 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

Yes, alt.hvac is still around.

Thanks you two. I found it. It wasn't in my selected groups, I guess
because I changed computers a year ago, and I'd forgotten its name. .

Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

The quality of manners there, about the same.

Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
www.lds.org
..