Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Evaporator coil - repair or replace??

Hi, I recently had my condensor unit and compressor changed when I
bought my house. It was actually over 20 years old - any A/C guy that
came to look at it was in disbelief. Anyway, the fan turns on and off
pretty much at random (just like it did before I had anything
replaced). My A/C guy said he believed it was an electrical problem
(He thought the dampers were causing a problem). Anyway, his
electrician/A/C buddy came over and said that the evaporator coil was
extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned. He said this would stop the
unit from freezing over and keep the fan going. He says this will
also stop the severe leaks I am having from under the coil (I guess
the pan?). His price to clean the coil is $575. I have seen new
coils for less than that - only problem is that I don't know how to
install it. I am very handy and can do anything at home if I can find
the right book. Home Depot sells books that get me through any
project I tackle. They dont sell a book that shows how to clean or
change an indoor evaporator coil. Does anyone know a good book?
Also, how does the electricians story sound, and is his price OK? I
live in New York City where prices are high, but just want to check.
Any help would be greatly appreciated - we are melting and my wife is
on bedrest (first pregnancy). Thank you.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:28 am, loujr1977 wrote:
[...]

First, it's not clear what exactly went on here. You say you
recently had the condensor/compressor unit replaced on a 20+ year old
system. That makes no sense and I would seriously question the
competence of any AC company that would do that, instead of replace
the entire AC/furnace system. Did they not recommend that? Did you
get other quotes? Did the system work properly when they were done
and before you paid them in full? Another key to their incompetence
is that they have to call in an electician, who then tells you the
evaporator is dirty and freezing?

Second, it's not clear what you mean by saying the fan turns on and
off randomly. Does it cool or not? If it were me, I'd get another
company in who you have checked out and believe to be honest and
competent. See what they tell you. Then it might be time to do
whatever it takes to fix it right, then take the previous company to
small claims if they won't refund an appropriate amount.

Finally, $575 sounds high to clean evaporator coils, even in NYC.
However, we don't know all the details as to how accessible it is,
etc. In any case, you need a solution to the total problem, not
going with an electrician who proposes to clean your coils.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"loujr1977" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi, I recently had my condensor unit and compressor changed when I
bought my house. It was actually over 20 years old - any A/C guy that
came to look at it was in disbelief. Anyway, the fan turns on and off
pretty much at random (just like it did before I had anything
replaced). My A/C guy said he believed it was an electrical problem
(He thought the dampers were causing a problem). Anyway, his
electrician/A/C buddy came over and said that the evaporator coil was
extremely dirty and needed to be cleaned. He said this would stop the
unit from freezing over and keep the fan going. He says this will
also stop the severe leaks I am having from under the coil (I guess
the pan?). His price to clean the coil is $575.

Refrigeration must be done by a license technician to handle the Freon.
This is not a DIY job.

Cleaning the coil can be done for much less than you were quoted in most
places (I don't know about NYC). Shop around and find someone competent.
Call a couple of places and just ask them how much to clean the coil.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On May 28, 10:59 am, wrote:
[...]

going with an electrician who proposes to clean your coils.- Hide quoted text -

Thank you for responding. The A/C guy recommended entire replacement
which I told him I could not afford. He said changing the outdoor
components may or may not fix the problem but in either case, that I
should change the outdoor components and take it from there. The
system still did not work right even when he first finished, but he
said he could find the problem when I was ready. He said he suspected
the problem to be either the dampers or the EWC Ultra Zone Control
board. In either case, the system does not cool my house in the
least. It will not even bring the temperature down one degree. I can
have the thermostat set to 70 degrees while the actual temp is much
higher, and the fan will turn off anyway. It runs anywhere from 5 to
10 minutes and shuts off. It will not cool off the house. Thanks
again.