Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking Instructions for Cleaning Evaporator Coil?

I'd like to learn to clean my evaporator coils myself. My HVAC units
are hanging from rafters in my attic. Is this as simple as removing a
duct, reaching in and spraying aerosol coil cleaner, then rinsing it
with a garden sprayer? I assume the runoff will exit through the
condensation pipes.

Help?

Pictures of my units:

http://jeffshvac.googlepages.com/

Thanks!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 2, 9:17 am, "Spare" wrote:
On Feb 28, 7:08 pm, "Spare" wrote:

I'd like to learn to clean myevaporatorcoils myself. My HVAC units
are hanging from rafters in my attic. Is this as simple as removing a
duct, reaching in and spraying aerosol coil cleaner, then rinsing it
with a garden sprayer? I assume the runoff will exit through the
condensation pipes.

Help?

Pictures of my units:

http://jeffshvac.googlepages.com/

Thanks!

Anyone?

Read the nameplate and prodide us with make/model of your unit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Spare wrote:

On Feb 28, 7:08 pm, "Spare" wrote:

I'd like to learn to clean myevaporatorcoils myself. My HVAC units
are hanging from rafters in my attic. Is this as simple as removing a
duct, reaching in and spraying aerosol coil cleaner, then rinsing it
with a garden sprayer? I assume the runoff will exit through the
condensation pipes.

Help?

Pictures of my units:

http://jeffshvac.googlepages.com/

Thanks!

Anyone?

It depends on whether it is lint clogged!
If it is lint clogged it many have to be pulled & that requires a
licensed Tech!
Keep the return air well filtered!
http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b...syste ms.html

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENT
Posted to alt.home.repair

Keep the return air well filtered!http://www.udarrell.com/proper_cfm_b..._conditioning_...

--
WISDOM PRINCIPLED EMPOWERMENT COMMUNICATIONS -
THE REAL POLITICAL ISSUES and PEOPLE EMPOWERMENThttp://www.udarrell.com/- Hide quoted text -

Thanks avid_hiker and udarrell,

a bit of background.. we have been in this house for 3 years. It
appears that the former homeowner didn't do a good job maintaining the
house because when we moved in, I instected the air filters, and they
were so dirty that they had collapsed into the duct. I change the
filters monthly.

I'd like to try removing the ducts, spraying the coil with coil
cleaner, rinsing with water (via a garden sprayer), then reattach
duct.

I updated the site with photos of the model numbers, and they a

Unit #1
Furnace: MAKE: Lennox MODEL: GS18Q3-50-5 MFG: 1987
Evaporator: MAKE: American Standards Trane MODEL: TXH033A4HPA1
MFG: 03/99

Unit #2
Furnace: MAKE Lennox MODEL: G50UH-36A-070-02
Evaporator: MAKE: Lennox MODEL: CH23-41-1

Posted to alt.home.repair

if its lint covered, i use a long brush to clean it off,,,like
one of those window scrapers with a long brush on it.brush the lint to a
pile and vac it out. hosing it works but i think you might have
trouble with the water drainiing where it shouldnt..lucas

Posted to alt.home.repair

Before you go removing ducts, just take the front panel off the coil.
Then, first check to see if the coil is actually dirty enough to justify
the work of cleaning it. If it is, see if you have enough access to get
in and clean the coil. Run the unit for an hour or so-- long enough to
get the coil and buildup thoroughly wet, then get a powerful shop vac
and vac the entire coil surface. You may have to get creative and rig a
special extension/attatchment to get to all the coil, but it doesn't
have to be anything fancy-- some 3/4 PVC and duct tape. Try not to ever
brush a coil-- if you are not VERY careful, you will force the crud into
the fins instead of removing it, and also bent up the fins. If you are
going to use any chemical cleaner, also be very careful. Even if the
directions say it is not necessary, I would rinse it afterwards. The
problem is that the drain setup on the coils is designed to take a slow
steady trickle of water, not a blast with a garden hose. Good luck
Larry

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mar 3, 8:58 am, (lp13-30) wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tips. Stupid question, but how can I even inspect the
coil..?! There is no access door, and the leading edge of the coil is
behind the furnace assy, which I assume would block access. I could
get to the trailing edge by removing a duct, but that back side won't
have the lint buildup.. only the leading edge. Do I have to disect
the unit? I was hoping to aviod that.