Posted to alt.home.repair
DesignGuy

Default Evaporator coil needs replacing?

Over the last 2 or 3 summers I've had to have the HVAC tech come out once
the temp starts to climb, to re-charge the upstairs a/c with Freon (Trane
XE1000, 10 yr old unit). Obviously a leak, but cheaper to re-charge than to
fix. Since last summer the Freon charge didn't last the season, I've bit the
bullet and decided to repair the leak.

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted to
check to see if in fact it is.

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

1) Running a/c at low outside temperatures. I don't do this but am the
second owner of the home so don't know what the previous owner did.

2) Dirty filters. I change them pretty regularly, every 45 to 60 days.
Again, don't know what first owner of the home did.

Will running the fan constantly help in case any ice does form on the
evaporator coil? I usually run the fan 24/7 to help distribute the air more
evenly.

Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
Over the last 2 or 3 summers I've had to have the HVAC tech come out once
the temp starts to climb, to re-charge the upstairs a/c with Freon (Trane
XE1000, 10 yr old unit). Obviously a leak, but cheaper to re-charge than

fix. Since last summer the Freon charge didn't last the season, I've bit

the
bullet and decided to repair the leak.

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing

the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted to
check to see if in fact it is.

Not from where I sit...

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

1) Running a/c at low outside temperatures. I don't do this but am the
second owner of the home so don't know what the previous owner did.

IMO, nope.

2) Dirty filters. I change them pretty regularly, every 45 to 60 days.
Again, don't know what first owner of the home did.

not really.

Will running the fan constantly help in case any ice does form on the
evaporator coil? I usually run the fan 24/7 to help distribute the air

more
evenly.

It won't help any icing, but it will help indoor air quality if you use a
good filter.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Colbyt

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
[...]

This is a lay-person's opinion.

Depending on where you are the price may be really fair. I paid $600 last
year and we are not in a high cost area. I was hot enough that it seemed
like a bargain. It was not my high estimate.

The crap they use to make the coils is caustic. A manufacturing failure to
properly clean the coil can lead to failure. Moisture inside the system
leads to premature failure. Make sure that the price you are paying
includes a new "filter/dryer". I have two units one failed after 7 years
and the other worked on Saturday. 12 years old this past month.

Running the unit at OS temps below the recommendation can cause problems.
EV coil failure is not one of them. RTFM. And in most cases if it is cool
enough outside to cause problems the unit won't be running anyway.

Filter don't have a d%$# thing to do with it. Ice on the outside of the
coils is a different problem. Keeping clean filters and good air flow does
help with this. It is the moisture on the inside of the coils that cause
the failure. The outside of the coils almost always are wet. That is why
the unit drips water to the drain.

In all fairness to the tech. He felt a need to answer your questions and
gave you the BS he had been programmed to say.

Get a couple of more estimates to be sure that you are getting the best
price.

--
Colbyt
One picture can be worth a 1000 words.

Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

DesignGuy wrote:
[...]

Are you telling us he didn't actually find a leak, but wants to replace
one of the major components of the system after only 10 years on the
conjecture that some corrosion he sees might be the problem?

I'd get a second opinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

"DesignGuy" wrote in message

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing
the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Surface corrosion does not necessarily mean a leak. Did he use a leak
detector? Did he pinpoint the actual leak? Was it a joint or the tubing?

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted to
check to see if in fact it is.

Not that high for a job done right

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

1) Running a/c at low outside temperatures.

2) Dirty filters. I change them pretty regularly, every 45 to 60 days.
Again, don't know what first owner of the home did.

Never hear dof all of that. Corrosion is a chemical reaction. Icing may
cause some moisture to helpt it along, but I have my doubt.

I'd get a different tech out for an oinion.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Richard J Kinch

DesignGuy writes:

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted to
check to see if in fact it is.

You can find marked-up prices for parts at grainger.com.

Your tech is grossing about $500 profit for himself or his boss.

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

Research "formicary corrosion".

Failures in the 5-year and up ages are surprisingly common. It's not your
fault.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
DesignGuy writes:

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted

check to see if in fact it is.

You can find marked-up prices for parts at grainger.com.

Your tech is grossing about $500 profit for himself or his boss.

How did you get that figure?

Did you add in licensing, insurance, consumables, time, etc? Sure he made
some money, but not $500.00...

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stormin Mormon

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was
causing the
leak.
CY: Didn't he use a beeper? You mean he just looked at it and then
guessed?

The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed
corrosion.
CY: Actually, it's a sign of a slow leak increasing to a moderate
leak. That leak could be in any of several places in the system. So
replacing the evaporator doesn't guarantee a fix. The leak may be some
where else.

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted
check to see if in fact it is.
CY: Of course, we don't know if the evaporator is in the cellar, or
attic, or how easy it is to service. But from what I know of
evaporators (have installed several) it sounds high.

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

1) Running a/c at low outside temperatures. I don't do this but am the
second owner of the home so don't know what the previous owner did.
CY: Could contribute to icing, but don't know that it promotes
corrosion.

2) Dirty filters. I change them pretty regularly, every 45 to 60 days.
Again, don't know what first owner of the home did.
CY: A dirty filter is the one which is working. A clean filter is
something to be worried, cause all the dirt is going right through. Of
coruse, dirt clogging the evaporator might be corrosive.

Will running the fan constantly help in case any ice does form on the
evaporator coil? I usually run the fan 24/7 to help distribute the air
more
evenly.
CY: Yes, running the fan full time I think it's a good idea. Sounds
like time to get a second opinion. Sounds like you need a tech with a
leak detector beeper to see where the leak really is.

--

Christopher A. Young
You can't shout down a troll.

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

DesignGuy writes:

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted

check to see if in fact it is.

You can find marked-up prices for parts at grainger.com.

Your tech is grossing about $500 profit for himself or his boss.

How did you get that figure?

Did you add in licensing, insurance, consumables, time, etc? Sure he made
some money, but not $500.00...

What part of "grossing" did you not understand?

Pete C.
Posted to alt.home.repair
HeatMan

DesignGuy writes:

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but

wanted
check to see if in fact it is.

You can find marked-up prices for parts at grainger.com.

Your tech is grossing about $500 profit for himself or his boss.

How did you get that figure?

Did you add in licensing, insurance, consumables, time, etc? Sure he

made
some money, but not $500.00...

What part of "grossing" did you not understand?

I understand Gross profit, but how do YOU come by that? Just the coil price
or all material used in the changeout?

FWIW, I'm done. I do not have to justify my pricing to anyone on the 'net.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

DesignGuy writes:

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted

check to see if in fact it is.

You can find marked-up prices for parts at grainger.com.

Your tech is grossing about $500 profit for himself or his boss.

How did you get that figure?

Did you add in licensing, insurance, consumables, time, etc? Sure he made
some money, but not $500.00...

What part of "grossing" did you not understand?

The whole thing. "Grossing" didn't register. I thought he meant
"grousing".

Pete C.

Posted to alt.home.repair
gerry

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:45:13 GMT, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

Over the last 2 or 3 summers I've had to have the HVAC tech come out once
the temp starts to climb, to re-charge the upstairs a/c with Freon (Trane
XE1000, 10 yr old unit). Obviously a leak, but cheaper to re-charge than to
fix. Since last summer the Freon charge didn't last the season, I've bit the
bullet and decided to repair the leak.

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Did he actually find the leak or take a guess? Visible corrosion doesn't
imply a leak. Actually it is a pretty bad way of guessing where a leak is.

Perhaps he should do a leak test or at least warrant that the system will
be leak free after his work.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com

Posted to alt.home.repair
DesignGuy

"DesignGuy" wrote in message
[...]

Thanks everyone for your replies. To answer a common question put forth -
yes the tech did check for leaks when the system was running, using a spray
bottle with a blue fluid in it. I didn't see him use an electronic "sniffer"
but then again didn't follow him up into the attic. The repair sheet states
"leak found in evaporator coil" and I did check it myself after he left and
found corrosion and rust on several visible portions of the coil.

I guess I won't really know until next summer if it's fixed or not, as by
then if it's not fixed any Freon would have leaked out.