Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default Evaporator coil needs replacing?

"DesignGuy" wrote in message

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing
the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Surface corrosion does not necessarily mean a leak. Did he use a leak
detector? Did he pinpoint the actual leak? Was it a joint or the tubing?

Cost (parts, labor, installation) was $825. This seems high but wanted to
check to see if in fact it is.

Not that high for a job done right

Also, was told two things can cause corrosion of coil:

1) Running a/c at low outside temperatures.

2) Dirty filters. I change them pretty regularly, every 45 to 60 days.
Again, don't know what first owner of the home did.

Never hear dof all of that. Corrosion is a chemical reaction. Icing may
cause some moisture to helpt it along, but I have my doubt.

I'd get a different tech out for an oinion.