Posted to alt.home.repair
gerry

Default Evaporator coil needs replacing?

On Tue, 18 Apr 2006 19:45:13 GMT, "DesignGuy"
wrote:

Over the last 2 or 3 summers I've had to have the HVAC tech come out once
the temp starts to climb, to re-charge the upstairs a/c with Freon (Trane
XE1000, 10 yr old unit). Obviously a leak, but cheaper to re-charge than to
fix. Since last summer the Freon charge didn't last the season, I've bit the
bullet and decided to repair the leak.

Tech came out and said the evaporator coil was corroded and was causing the
leak. The slow degradation of cooling power (versus sudden loss) was
indicatory of a bad evaporator coil, plus he visually observed corrosion.

Did he actually find the leak or take a guess? Visible corrosion doesn't
imply a leak. Actually it is a pretty bad way of guessing where a leak is.

Perhaps he should do a leak test or at least warrant that the system will
be leak free after his work.

gerry

--

Personal home page - http://gogood.com