Home Ownership (misc.consumers.house)

Ablang

Default THIS OLD HOUSE: Replacing Your Dishwasher

Replacing Your Dishwasher
Dishwasher on its last legs? When you buy a new one, pocket the
installation fee by doing the job yourself.

by Scott Gibson

Dishwashers have come a long way since Illinois socialite Josephine
Cochrane invented back in the 1880s what later became the KitchenAid.
Still, they don't last forever. Removing an undercounter dishwasher
and replacing it will take an experienced installer less than an hour.

You probably won't manage the job that quickly, but it is a relatively
simple procedure, especially because the plumbing and electrical
hookups are already in place. And by doing the work yourself, you can
save the $100 or more a retailer will charge, or step up to a model
with more features.

Dishwashers come in a variety of price ranges and styles (see
Dishwasher Options), but all standard machines fit in a 24-in.-wide
opening. So no matter which model you choose, you won't need to modify
cabinets.

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/know...202345,00.html

===
"Until last October, Christ had a very limited involvement in my life. I believed in God; I just never had to prove I believed. Belief is an absence of proof."
-- Boston Red Sox pitcher Curt Schilling
QB3

"Ablang" wrote in message
Replacing Your Dishwasher
Dishwasher on its last legs? When you buy a new one, pocket the
installation fee by doing the job yourself.
CHOP the article

If you have good, modern plumbing and electrical hookups where your new
dishwasher will go, then I agree that the job can be done by an amateur. It
should be an amateur with good dexterity because the tight working space at
the bottom/front of a modern tall-tub dishwasher requires significant manual
dexterity to get the connections where they need to go and to get them
leakproof.

In my case, the dishwasher's electrical circuit was shared by too many other
outlets, and the connection to the main plumbing was definitely a home
project from 1980. I am quite happy to have spent a small amount of money
to get an isolated circuit installed and all of the under-sink plumbing
corrected before the new dishwasher was installed. I can confidently run
the dishwasher when I am not home without worrying about finding a flooded
kitchen when I return. I have also prevented the possibility of the circuit
breaker being tripped by an overload. Isolated electrical circuits on
heavy-draw appliances are a rule for me.

Evaluate your risks before trying to do these things on your own. DIY
projects can end up costing more than professionally-done projects, if the
needed skills, tools and infrastructure is not in place.