Posted to alt.home.repair
Spare Spare is offline

Default Seeking Instructions for Cleaning Evaporator Coil?

On Mar 3, 8:58 am, (lp13-30) wrote:
Before you go removing ducts, just take the front panel off the coil.
Then, first check to see if the coil is actually dirty enough to justify
the work of cleaning it. If it is, see if you have enough access to get
in and clean the coil. Run the unit for an hour or so-- long enough to
get the coil and buildup thoroughly wet, then get a powerful shop vac
and vac the entire coil surface. You may have to get creative and rig a
special extension/attatchment to get to all the coil, but it doesn't
have to be anything fancy-- some 3/4 PVC and duct tape. Try not to ever
brush a coil-- if you are not VERY careful, you will force the crud into
the fins instead of removing it, and also bent up the fins. If you are
going to use any chemical cleaner, also be very careful. Even if the
directions say it is not necessary, I would rinse it afterwards. The
problem is that the drain setup on the coils is designed to take a slow
steady trickle of water, not a blast with a garden hose. Good luck
Larry

Thanks for the tips. Stupid question, but how can I even inspect the
coil..?! There is no access door, and the leading edge of the coil is
behind the furnace assy, which I assume would block access. I could
get to the trailing edge by removing a duct, but that back side won't
have the lint buildup.. only the leading edge. Do I have to disect
the unit? I was hoping to aviod that.