Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Amazon Shipping Is So Weird

I was looking for some LED bulbs for my trailer. I found a bulb that I like was getting ready to order it.

Based on how my corporate network works, my computer looks to many web sites like I am located
in NYC, which I am not.

Leaving it as the default zip of 10001 (NYC), I can get Free Prime Same Day *delivery*,
total cost $12.98.

If I use the shipping drop down to change it to my actual zip, the item is not eligible for Prime.
It's $9.99 + $2.99 shipping, total cost $12.98.

But wait...there's a link that says "Avaiable with free Prime Shipping from other sellers on
Amazon". If I use that link, it is eligible for Prime and I can get Free 2 Day shipping,
total cost $12.98.

So, obviously the Prime shipping isn't really free and your location matters and the
seller matters. It's obvious that Amazon wants you to join Prime because they point
you to Prime-eligible sellers for the same item, even though the total cost is going
to be the same. The only difference might be the 2-day shipping via Prime vs.
standard shipping when you actually "pay" for shipping separately.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 9:15:19 AM UTC-6, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I haven't had any problems with Amazon (I'm a Prime member) as long as I pay close attention to every little thing with my account and web browser. I turn off the proxy extension when shopping on Amazon to prevent confusing the company's system. I can use a proxy in Singapore if I want to frak with someone. Amazon has fulfillment centers all over the country and you may be taxed for your purchase depending on where you are located. It's quite a dance behind the scenes when you order something from Amazon. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

http://blog.taxjar.com/amazon-warehouse-locations/

https://trustfile.avalara.com/resour...use-locations/

http://mwpvl.com/html/amazon_com.html

[8~{} Uncle Fulfilled Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

I was looking for some LED bulbs for my trailer. I found a bulb that I
like was getting ready to order it.
So, obviously the Prime shipping isn't really free and your location
matters and the seller matters. It's obvious that Amazon wants you to
join Prime because they point you to Prime-eligible sellers for the
same item, even though the total cost is going to be the same. The
only difference might be the 2-day shipping via Prime vs. standard
shipping when you actually "pay" for shipping separately.

I have not seen any reason to become a prime member. If you combine items
so your order is $49 or more, you can usually select free shipping when you
check out. Actually, I think they lowered the $49 limit recently to compete
with Walmart. In any case, I almost always have something to order from
Amazon, so I haven't paid shipping charges in years.

For example, search for "LED trailer bulb" on Amazon, then click the option
on the left side of the screen for "Free Shipping by Amazon".

I looked at their Prime video offerings but wasn't impressed. Netflix is
cheaper and offers a better selection.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 07:15:14 -0800 (PST)
DerbyDad03 wrote:

[...]

You are always whining about Amazon.
Get your stuff somewhere else and STFU.
Trader sells on ebay,,buy from him/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2017 10:57 AM, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

Prime's not worth it to me either. Just don't buy enough. Had wondered
about their video offerings and good to know it is not worth it.

Have seen a couple squirrely things from them as they put prime up front
and you might think free shipping without it but get charged at
checkout. Also you think you are getting direct from them but you are
getting from a supplier. Suppliers can be fine but if item is defective
and you have to ship back they may be more difficult to work with. Even
software which you download for no charge can put you back with the
supplier. I had a problem like this a few years ago with MS Office from
Amazon ending with MS working with my computer to fix.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 10:59:40 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
[...]

I'm not a prime member but my daughter is. She gets a substantial discount as a student
so there are a bunch of us that use her account. It's kind of funny. When you open the page
for the shipping address, the list of names and addresses is quite lengthy. The same holds
true for the payment options. We all have different cards under our own names. Amazon has
never complained.

It may all end in May when she graduates, but we'll keep using it for as long as we can.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 12:24:16 -0500
Frank "frank wrote:

Had wondered
about their video offerings and good to know it is not worth it.

that was merely one persons opinion...not Gospel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

DerbyDad03 posted for all of us...

[...]

Repeat after me; again.

Nothing in life if free.

The customer pays for everything.

That said I will join Prime for their limited trial time. The last time it
appeared something I ordered was prime and wasn't (discount). One has to be
extremely diligent when ordering from Amazon. My latest order has a span of
over two weeks for shipping...

Has anyone noticed that when ordering obscure or non bestseller paper bound
books that the back page gives a company in Delaware that printed-assembled
it with the date on it closely matches the order date? Never heard of this
but I suppose they can't have everything on a shelf.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/02/2017 11:24 AM, Frank wrote:

Also you think you are getting direct from them but you are
getting from a supplier. Suppliers can be fine but if item is defective
and you have to ship back they may be more difficult to work with. Even
software which you download for no charge can put you back with the
supplier. I had a problem like this a few years ago with MS Office from
Amazon ending with MS working with my computer to fix.

The last time I got a defective product from a supplier (rather than
from Amazon), the supplier gave a refund and didn't require a return
(although I had no use for a used printer that doesn't work).

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Entertainment is a thing of the past, today we've got television" --
Archie Bunker
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 3/2/2017 12:24 PM, Frank wrote:

Have seen a couple squirrely things from them as they put prime up front
and you might think free shipping without it but get charged at
checkout. Also you think you are getting direct from them but you are
getting from a supplier. Suppliers can be fine but if item is defective
and you have to ship back they may be more difficult to work with. Even
software which you download for no charge can put you back with the
supplier. I had a problem like this a few years ago with MS Office from
Amazon ending with MS working with my computer to fix.

You have to read the offering as there are many variations.
Sold by third party but shipped by Amazon
Sold by Amazon but shipped by third party
Prime shipping, free 2 days
Not Prime, but free shipping.
No Prime, shipping added

I bought a phone at Staples for $30. Used half gallon of gas to go get
it. Could have had it delivered under Prime in two days for $20.

I never bought anything that said Prime and got charged for shipping.

Nothing is ever truly free
Carefully read the offering.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017 17:37:57 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

You have to read the offering as there are many variations.
Sold by third party but shipped by Amazon
Sold by Amazon but shipped by third party
Prime shipping, free 2 days
Not Prime, but free shipping.
No Prime, shipping added

I bought a phone at Staples for $30. Used half gallon of gas to go get
it. Could have had it delivered under Prime in two days for $20.

I never bought anything that said Prime and got charged for shipping.

Nothing is ever truly free
Carefully read the offering.

I have used free ground shipping. My last order got here yesterday
that would have been $70 shipping but I waited a week. Part of the
order came the day before. I don't see a need for Prime because I'm
not in a hurry and save a few dollars.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , says...

On 3/2/2017 12:24 PM, Frank wrote:

You have to read the offering as there are many variations.
Sold by third party but shipped by Amazon
Sold by Amazon but shipped by third party
Prime shipping, free 2 days
Not Prime, but free shipping.
No Prime, shipping added

I bought a phone at Staples for $30. Used half gallon of gas to go get
it. Could have had it delivered under Prime in two days for $20.

I never bought anything that said Prime and got charged for shipping.

I don't have Prime but order about 20 items from Amazone each year.
Good thing about the internet is Ican compair prices from many places
and pick the lesser price. Just have to be sure I add in the shipping.

Just ordered a power supply off ebay as the were less expensive. Their
price was way under the others, but the shipping seemed high to me.
However even with that they were still less.

All most everything I get from Amazon takes them a week to ship and a
few days to get here. If Amazone has another vender to ship,they usually
ship it out the next day. Just about all the other places shipe by the
end of the next day at the latest.

I have ordered some things like a 60 inch TV from Bset Buy as the
nearest store is about half an hour or more away. That would tie me up
for a good 2 hours . The tv was shipped free, two people brought it out
and unboxed it and set it on the stand. They plugged it in and turned
it on. They said the policy was they did not hook up the cable or
antenna to the sets. Then carried off the box it came in. They even
offered to carry off the old 47 inch TV, but I was going to give it to
my son. They did move it to another room for me. Sure beats me trying
to have to handle that big of a set.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 03/02/2017 01:16 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Has anyone noticed that when ordering obscure or non bestseller paper bound
books that the back page gives a company in Delaware that printed-assembled
it with the date on it closely matches the order date? Never heard of this
but I suppose they can't have everything on a shelf.

Print on demand. It's been around for years.

[OT] Netflix, Amazon Prime, Amazon Fire etc. News UK diy 29 July 30th 15 10:37 PM
Amazon Tool Shipping Leon Woodworking 3 December 10th 05 12:56 AM
Bessey Clamps on Amazon - Watch your shipping D Steck Woodworking 12 October 27th 05 05:57 PM
Amazon quick Shipping Larry Bud Woodworking 1 February 10th 05 04:23 PM
What TYPE PC 557 is Amazon Shipping Fly-by-Night CC Woodworking 3 July 13th 03 03:56 PM