Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Amazon Shipping Is So Weird

On Thursday, March 2, 2017 at 10:59:40 AM UTC-5, HerHusband wrote:
I was looking for some LED bulbs for my trailer. I found a bulb that I
like was getting ready to order it.
So, obviously the Prime shipping isn't really free and your location
matters and the seller matters. It's obvious that Amazon wants you to
join Prime because they point you to Prime-eligible sellers for the
same item, even though the total cost is going to be the same. The
only difference might be the 2-day shipping via Prime vs. standard
shipping when you actually "pay" for shipping separately.

I have not seen any reason to become a prime member. If you combine items
so your order is $49 or more, you can usually select free shipping when you
check out. Actually, I think they lowered the $49 limit recently to compete
with Walmart. In any case, I almost always have something to order from
Amazon, so I haven't paid shipping charges in years.

For example, search for "LED trailer bulb" on Amazon, then click the option
on the left side of the screen for "Free Shipping by Amazon".

I looked at their Prime video offerings but wasn't impressed. Netflix is
cheaper and offers a better selection.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com

I'm not a prime member but my daughter is. She gets a substantial discount as a student
so there are a bunch of us that use her account. It's kind of funny. When you open the page
for the shipping address, the list of names and addresses is quite lengthy. The same holds
true for the payment options. We all have different cards under our own names. Amazon has
never complained.

It may all end in May when she graduates, but we'll keep using it for as long as we can.