Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Kenmore Stoves

I have an old Kenmore stove that I need to replace and is Kenmore still a good brand?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2017 11:25 AM, Percival P. Cassidy wrote:
On 02/23/2017 11:11 AM, wrote:

I have an old Kenmore stove that I need to replace and is Kenmore
still a good brand?

Kenmore products are merely rebranded versions by Sears of products
by the actual manufacturers. E.g., our "Kenmore" front-loading washer
and dryer were by Frigidaire or Electrolux, our "Kenmore"
refrigerator and dishwasher are by Whirlpool, our "Kenmore" microwave
is by LG. I'm sure the actual manufacturer of any given category of
"Kenmore"-branded appliance may change from time to time. E.g.,
"Kenmore"-branded microwaves may have been made by companies other
than LG.

Since Sears seems to be advancing rapidly toward the cliff edge, you
could find yourself with an appliance for which no warranty service
is available if needed.

Perce

Even if needed, you've got a good chance of not getting a repair on the
first several attempts. At least in my area, the contractor Sears uses
for service is very poor. Sears doesn't seem to have a repair shop of
their own but use a national contractor with local hubs. 6 visits over
2 1/2 months were required before my Kenmore refrigerator (only 2+ years
old) was apparently repaired (running OK now for about 3 months).
Fortunately we have a second fridge (Whirlpool, 34 years old) that still
works perfectly although not energy efficiently, that we were able to
use in the interim. No repair person had any idea why they were making
a service call on the unit, had no replacement parts on the truck to
substitute, and a few even denied that there was a problem with the unit
even though it would stop and start every few seconds for about 2
minutes before turning off for a few hours after having been on
continuously for more than 12 hours. Then the cycle would repeat.
Finally, it stopped cooling and the problem was taken more seriously.
Some insisted on wanting to replace parts that were just replaced by the
previous "repair" person. The final "repair" was made when the guy
noticed that a wire had accidentally been left disconnected by the
previous guy during a replacement of the third different part to be
swapped out. Apparently they don't have a diagnostic algorithm to
follow, and most were dismissive of my observations and recital of what
was previously tried without success. I'd never buy any Sears appliance
again because I wouldn't want to put myself at the mercy of their - in
or out of warranty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 1:12:57 PM UTC-6, Frank wrote:
On 2/23/2017 11:15 AM,
wrote:
On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 08:11:09 -0800 (PST),
wrote:

I have an old Kenmore stove that I need to replace and is Kenmore still a good brand?

Kenmore is not a brand. It is just Sears' way of rebadging someone
else's product. Since Sears is on the verge of being as dead as disco,
I think I would just go for a real brand name. (GE, Whirlpool etc)

Sears joined the walking dead years ago but don't be surprised to buy
another brand and find them belly up or sold out.

Sears failed to embrace The Internet as other retailers did early on. Sears management failed to get people to find a good reason to visit the brick and mortar stores. It's a real shame because it was a place the whole family looked forward to go shopping when I was a kid. I got my own set of

Craftsman mechanics tools when I was a teen. My family had a charge account at Sears and we had all sorts products from Sears. The Sears catalog weighed a ton and was something I spent a lot of time perusing. I hate to see Sears sink. (^_^

https://www.forbes.com/sites/walterl.../#6119a5db19ac

http://tinyurl.com/jmvdmyb

http://www.salon.com/2014/04/13/sear...about_america/

http://tinyurl.com/nvotxvz

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster

The Sears catalog was a major supplier of toilet paper in many outhouses
in its day! [g]

--
RonNNN
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2017 03:43 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I have an old Kenmore stove that I need to replace and is Kenmore
still a good brand?

Kenmore is not a brand. It is just Sears' way of rebadging someone
else's product. Since Sears is on the verge of being as dead as disco,
I think I would just go for a real brand name. (GE, Whirlpool etc)

Thanks. I had an idea Sears was going in the tank and I will check out
the ones at Home Depot.

No appliance stores in your area? The one near us is about the same
price as the big box stores but gives much better service and delivery.

A little less than a year ago, we bought a Maytag washer and dryer pair
from Lowes. The washer was $599, but I don't recall the price of the
dryer. Free delivery the next day. And we got another 10% off for using
the store charge card.

A few weeks later, I had occasion to go with a friend to the independent
appliance store about a mile away to look for a used washer -- and there
was the same washer for which we had paid $599 with a price using the
same digits but in a different order: $959!

Perce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, a damn shame. Growing up, I used to go to the local Sears store on
Saturday mornings with my father and grandfather. I've still got and use
Craftsman hand tools we bought back in the 50's, including a bunch I
subsequently inherited,

Married and furnishing a new house with my starter-wife, we ordered lots
of stuff from the Sears sale catalogs that came out a few times a month.
Picked up our orders at the local store as there were no shipping
charges if you did that.

I kinda gave up on Sears years ago when they bagged the catalog division.

--
If 12 million+ illegal aliens from Mexico will help the US economy, why
didnt they help the Mexican economy before they left?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 12:58:58 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

Sears failed to embrace The Internet as other retailers did early on.

The irony in this whole thing is Sears was principally a catalog
operation from the beginning. It should have been easy for them to hit
the internet ground running if they just had a few of those old mail
order guys around to push them off in that direction. They could have
easily been Amazon. You used to be able to order everything from
underwear to car parts to complete house kits from Sears,
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 3:02:28 PM UTC-6, RonNNN wrote:
In article ,
Uncle Monster says...

[...]

It was a major scandal for young men to wipe their backsides with pages from the women's lingerie section so those pages were often torn out before the old catalog appeared in the outhouse. ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Scandalous Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Sears failed to embrace The Internet as other retailers did early on.

The irony in this whole thing is Sears was principally a catalog
operation from the beginning. It should have been easy for them to hit
the internet ground running if they just had a few of those old mail
order guys around to push them off in that direction. They could have
easily been Amazon. You used to be able to order everything from
underwear to car parts to complete house kits from Sears,

Didn't Sears once sell prefab homes that came in a crate or two? Is that the house kit you referred to? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle House Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2017 4:45 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

Some fancy financing and it's sure nice of the boss to loan them all
that money... what a deal, when will the 1% start eating their own?
http://ww2.cfo.com/credit/2017/01/se...-million-loan/
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Used to be like that but most dealers saw the light a long time ago. I
bought a few appliances in the past five years and the local guy was
from equal to $20 less and another $25 since I paid cash.

They use co-operatives now to buy at better prices. When I needed a
repair on a 17 year old refrigerator they were here in about 4 hours.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 13:57:56 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

It was a major scandal for young men to wipe their backsides with pages from the women's lingerie section so those pages were often torn out before the old catalog appeared in the outhouse. ?(?)?

Yeah, the young boys ripped those pages out and stashed them under
their bed.

BTW Who remembers the "page 602 scandal" from the mid 70s?
That was the page women ripped out and out in their underwear drawer.

Anthony Wiener's inspiration.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 14:45:26 -0800 (PST), Uncle Monster
wrote:

The irony in this whole thing is Sears was principally a catalog
operation from the beginning. It should have been easy for them to hit
the internet ground running if they just had a few of those old mail
order guys around to push them off in that direction. They could have
easily been Amazon. You used to be able to order everything from
underwear to car parts to complete house kits from Sears,

Didn't Sears once sell prefab homes that came in a crate or two? Is that the house kit you referred to? ?(?)?

Yes. There are still some of them around.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 23 Feb 2017 18:02:26 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I bought a wall oven from Best Buy on the internet for store delivery
but it never showed up and when I asked, they said they just canceled
the order without asking me. No more Best Buy for me. Then I looked on
Craigslist and found a used one for about 1/3d the price of a new one
(stainless GE convection for $400) and I am not sure it was ever
turned on. The inside was pristine and the elements looked brand new.
It did look like it had been installed and removed tho. My guess is it
was in a walk through kitchen where they never actually cooked
anything. I bet there was some cheap granite around too. ;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sears failed to embrace The Internet as other retailers did early on. Sears management failed to get people to find a good reason to visit the brick and mortar stores. It's a real shame because it was a place the whole family looked forward to go shopping when I was a kid. I got my own set of Craftsman mechanics tools when I was a teen. My family had a charge account at Sears and we had all sorts products from Sears. The Sears catalog weighed a ton and was something I spent a lot of time perusing. I hate to see Sears sink. (^_^

they have a pretty good online parts system.

I was able to look up a manual for and buy parts for a very old Sears lawnmower. I have to give them credit for that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2/23/2017 8:11 AM, wrote:

I have an old Kenmore stove that I need to replace and is Kenmore still a good brand?

Howz about I brand yer arse with NEMO?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

[8~{} Uncle Vaseline Monster

Uncle Monster gets his AnalEze at Walmart now.
LOL

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 02/23/2017 03:16 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:

[snip]

I kinda gave up on Sears years ago when they bagged the catalog division.

I can remember spending a lot of time with the bug Sears catalogs that
came out twice a year.

One of the things I remember most is an oddity from the index. I came
across a category called "shells". The first subcategory was "gun"
followed (unexpectedly) by "chubby girls".

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The certainty with which a religious belief is held is usually in
direct proportion to its absurdity." [Rev. Donald Morgan]

Pellet stoves Joe Home Repair 0 May 25th 09 03:19 AM
Flue-less stoves Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 13 December 5th 08 06:55 PM
Do old stoves have any $ value? Crabshell Home Repair 12 January 26th 08 10:31 AM
Pineridge Stoves SteveB Home Repair 0 August 12th 05 06:38 AM
Jotul Stoves - Anyone sell these stoves Online? M Wilson Home Repair 3 October 28th 04 10:23 PM