Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

posted for all of us...

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:04:26 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

Tekkie® wrote:
Arnie Goetchius posted for all of us...

trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run.
Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it
will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon
can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the
sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity
quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?

One part of me says you're right, it's getting old. The other part
of me tells me that if you replace it, what you get today will probably
not last nearly as long and many new products today fail after just a
few years.

The battery operated pump (Watchdog) is only a year old and it is hooked up to 3
deep cycle marine batteries. If the pedestal failed, the battery pump would keep
me going through the wet season and I could replace the pedestal at my convenience.

Why did you ask the question if you already had a solution in mind?

Just trying to get an idea of how long the current pedestal will last

Anywhere between about 5 seconds and another 20 years, give or take.

That's about as close as you are going to get.

Thank you for saving my crystal ball. It gets very cloudy when asked this
type of question.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/24/17 5:30 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run.
Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it
will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon
can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the
sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity
quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?

Do you have maintenance chargers on the batteries?

Yes, I use a Deltran Battery Tender for the 4 months that I need the sump. I
also have a 50 ft cord that I can connect to my car in the garage if the power
is out for more than 1-2 days.

After about May, I disconnect the charger because the sump will be dry until the
next November-Decmber. At that time, I connect the charger back up. After a full
charge, I test the batteries with a Dactron battery load tester and replace any
battery that does not pass the test. I've been getting 5-7 years on the batteries.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Why did you ask the question if you already had a solution in mind?

Just trying to get an idea of how long the current pedestal will last

You'll never know, until it's dead....

No one can answer a question like that. How long will YOU live? Can you
answer that????

Well there are actuarial table that can give you the
probabilities of life expectancy for a person who is
X years old. Don't know of any tables for sump pumps
though.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 10:41:33 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

The battery tender should be on the batteries even when they
are not being used. In fact, that's my main use for a battery
tender. I pulled the batteries out of my boat for the winter,
put them in the garage on a tender. Same thing with motorcycle
batteries. Lead acid batteries self-discharge over time and
a battery that's kept at less than full charge will not last
as long.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that and will now leave the battery tender
on all year around.