Posted to alt.home.repair
Arnie Goetchius[_2_] Arnie Goetchius[_2_] is offline

Default Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

trader_4 wrote:
On Saturday, February 4, 2017 at 10:41:33 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 1/24/17 5:30 PM, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run.
Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it
will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon
can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the
sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity
quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?

Do you have maintenance chargers on the batteries?

Yes, I use a Deltran Battery Tender for the 4 months that I need the sump. I
also have a 50 ft cord that I can connect to my car in the garage if the power
is out for more than 1-2 days.

After about May, I disconnect the charger because the sump will be dry until the
next November-Decmber. At that time, I connect the charger back up. After a full
charge, I test the batteries with a Dactron battery load tester and replace any
battery that does not pass the test. I've been getting 5-7 years on the batteries.

The battery tender should be on the batteries even when they
are not being used. In fact, that's my main use for a battery
tender. I pulled the batteries out of my boat for the winter,
put them in the garage on a tender. Same thing with motorcycle
batteries. Lead acid batteries self-discharge over time and
a battery that's kept at less than full charge will not last
as long.

Thanks for the tip. I did not realize that and will now leave the battery tender
on all year around.