Posted to alt.home.repair
Tekkie® Tekkie® is offline

Default Expected Life Of a Pedestal Sump Pump ?

posted for all of us...

On Thu, 26 Jan 2017 17:04:26 -0500, Arnie Goetchius
wrote:

Tekkie® wrote:
Arnie Goetchius posted for all of us...

trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 6:30:24 PM UTC-5, Arnie Goetchius wrote:
I have a pedestal sump going on 14 years. I wonder how much longer it will run.
Typically, it runs 3-4 months a year between Dec and Apr. During heavy rain, it
will run about once every 2 minutes for about 10 seconds. It sits in a 5 gallon
can dug into the basement floor. There is also a battery operated pump in the
sump which will run if the the pedestal sump either fails or the electricity
quits. I figure after 14 years, it is getting near the end of life. Any thoughts?

One part of me says you're right, it's getting old. The other part
of me tells me that if you replace it, what you get today will probably
not last nearly as long and many new products today fail after just a
few years.

The battery operated pump (Watchdog) is only a year old and it is hooked up to 3
deep cycle marine batteries. If the pedestal failed, the battery pump would keep
me going through the wet season and I could replace the pedestal at my convenience.

Why did you ask the question if you already had a solution in mind?

Just trying to get an idea of how long the current pedestal will last

Anywhere between about 5 seconds and another 20 years, give or take.

That's about as close as you are going to get.

Thank you for saving my crystal ball. It gets very cloudy when asked this
type of question.

--
Tekkie