Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install

Had a Zoeller Model 98 sump pump with a Flotec checkvalve. All was
good and the pump operated quitely.

This weekend, I added a Basement Watchdog Big Dog battery backup pump
to supplement my Zoeller. I wye'd off the 1.5" main line and added
two new flapper type checkvalves from Lowes (each one about 12" above
the pump). I discarded the old Flotec flapper type checkvalve.

The system seems to work fine. Only difference is that now when the
Zoeller cycles off, I hear a mild clunk that I never heard before.
Any idea how I might quiet it down?

BTW, there are 1/8" downward angled weep holes just below each of the
checkvalves to prevent air lock.

Thanks,
Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Apr 18, 9:42�am, " wrote:
Had a Zoeller Model 98 sump pump with a Flotec checkvalve. *All was
good and the pump operated quitely.

This weekend, I added a Basement Watchdog Big Dog battery backup pump
to supplement my Zoeller. *I wye'd off the 1.5" main line and added
two new flapper type checkvalves from Lowes *(each one about 12" above
the pump). * I discarded the old Flotec flapper type checkvalve.

The system seems to work fine. *Only difference is that now when the
Zoeller cycles off, I hear a mild clunk that I never heard before.
Any idea how I might quiet it down?

BTW, there are 1/8" downward angled weep holes just below each of the
checkvalves to prevent air lock.

Thanks,
Kevin

probably the check valves.

Honestly if I were you I would run a completely seperate line for the
backup pump. In case that single drain line ever fails or a check
valve malfunctions where the pump could just cycle water endlessely.

Just get the water out of the immedioate area, like out a wall if it
can run away from building.

I am a belt AND suspenders kinda guy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 18, 9:42?am, " wrote:
[...]

_______________

I installed a water powered back up for someone. If it breaks, water will
pour into the sump, AND the main sump pump will mainly pump through the
broken back up rather than out. Sure isn't what I would want in my
basement; I am not sure belt and suspenders are enough there. I wouldn't be
concerned except that the pump was so poorly made that failure is quite
possible; he bought the pump....

Posted to alt.home.repair

I'll put the Flotec check valve back in and see what happens then.

Thanks guys...

Kevin

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Wed, 18 Apr 2007 15:03:55 GMT, "Toller" wrote:

I installed a water powered back up for someone. If it breaks, water will

I have sump pump issues, so I really want to understand this, but I
can't follow this paragraph at all. If the water powered backup
breaks or if the electric sump pump breaks?

pour into the sump,

Water will pour into the sump if the water powered back up breaks?
Only a certain kind of breaking at most, and wouldn't the water just
blow out the designed exit if the valve fails?

AND the main sump pump will mainly pump through the
broken back up rather than out.

The two pumps are connected to each other? The only water powered one
I know sucks the water up to the ceiling and blows it out sideways,
like a perfume atomizer but using water instead of air, and isn't
connected to the original pump at all, except the input tube sits in
the same water.

Sure isn't what I would want in my
basement; I am not sure belt and suspenders are enough there. I wouldn't be
concerned except that the pump was so poorly made that failure is quite
possible; he bought the pump....

What brand of pump did he buy? I don't want to buy the same thing.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Turns out that the Flotec check valve does NOT hammer when my pump
shuts off. So, problem solved.

The flapper in the Lowes check valves moves to freely and causes water
hammer in the pipe. The Flotec flapper is just slightly damped in
it's movement.