Posted to alt.home.repair
Toller Toller is offline

Default Sump Pump Clunk After Backup Pump Install

wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 18, 9:42?am, " wrote:
Had a Zoeller Model 98 sump pump with a Flotec checkvalve. All was
good and the pump operated quitely.

This weekend, I added a Basement Watchdog Big Dog battery backup pump
to supplement my Zoeller. I wye'd off the 1.5" main line and added
two new flapper type checkvalves from Lowes (each one about 12" above
the pump). I discarded the old Flotec flapper type checkvalve.

The system seems to work fine. Only difference is that now when the
Zoeller cycles off, I hear a mild clunk that I never heard before.
Any idea how I might quiet it down?

BTW, there are 1/8" downward angled weep holes just below each of the
checkvalves to prevent air lock.

Thanks,
Kevin

probably the check valves.

Honestly if I were you I would run a completely seperate line for the
backup pump. In case that single drain line ever fails or a check
valve malfunctions where the pump could just cycle water endlessely.

Just get the water out of the immedioate area, like out a wall if it
can run away from building.

I am a belt AND suspenders kinda guy.

I installed a water powered back up for someone. If it breaks, water will
pour into the sump, AND the main sump pump will mainly pump through the
broken back up rather than out. Sure isn't what I would want in my
basement; I am not sure belt and suspenders are enough there. I wouldn't be
concerned except that the pump was so poorly made that failure is quite
possible; he bought the pump....