Posted to alt.home.repair

Default painting furniture with tinted primer

To cut down steps on painting an old headboard and night stand, I want to know
if I can have the paint store add a tint of color to the primer?

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...r-1118601-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 7:44:09 AM UTC-5, Diane wrote:
To cut down steps on painting an old headboard and night stand, I want to know
if I can have the paint store add a tint of color to the primer?

It's not a simple yes or no answer.

The paint store can tint the primer or you can tint it yourself by adding
a little regular paint to the primer. However, you don't want to add so much
that you change the properties of the primer.

Some folks say that tinting primer with some black tint to turn it slightly
grey is the best solution. I would go to a local paint store (as opposed to
a home center paint counter*) and talk to an expert*. A lot of it depends
on what you are painting, what you are painting with, the color, etc.

*I'm not denigrating all home center paint personnel. They can be hit or
miss. I like the personal touch of a dedicated paint store where there
is a better chance of talking to someone with expertise.

You could also call the paint company and get their instructions for their
paint.
Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/20/2016 6:44 AM, Diane wrote:
To cut down steps on painting an old headboard and night stand, I want
to know
if I can have the paint store add a tint of color to the primer?

Sure, virtually all primer is tintable (but they don't use paint to do
it as the other poster suggested).

But, it's also getting much harder to even find pure primer; most paints
now are combination primer/paint so depending on what you're thinking of
using mayhaps the step to cut out is the primer itself.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I prefer primer to be a distinctly different color from the final coat.

That way I know when I have a good coat of primer everywhere, and then the contrast with the final paint coat lets me know that I've done a nice job of putting the paint where it goes.

If the two colors are too close together, my aging eyes have trouble seeing the difference.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 20, 2016 at 10:55:35 AM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 12/20/2016 6:44 AM, Diane wrote:
To cut down steps on painting an old headboard and night stand, I want
to know
if I can have the paint store add a tint of color to the primer?

Sure, virtually all primer is tintable (but they don't use paint to do
it as the other poster suggested).

But, it's also getting much harder to even find pure primer; most paints
now are combination primer/paint so depending on what you're thinking of
using mayhaps the step to cut out is the primer itself.

I don't know where you shop, but you can buy "pure primer" just about
anywhere paint is sold. I would certainly not characterize it as "getting
harder to find".

Heck, even Home Depot has pages of "pure primer" products.

http://www.homedepot.com/b/Paint-Primers/N-5yc1vZbt0t

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/20/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't know where you shop, but you can buy "pure primer" just about
anywhere paint is sold. I would certainly not characterize it as "getting
harder to find".

Well, latex, yes...was thinking of the search I went through to find a
gallon of exterior oil-based primer last week when writing...only one
gallon on any shelf in town other than the "high-priced spread" at the
S-W store and I really didn't want to pay their price premium for the
particular job...
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message news
On 12/20/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't know where you shop, but you can buy "pure primer" just about
anywhere paint is sold. I would certainly not characterize it as "getting
harder to find".

Well, latex, yes...was thinking of the search I went through to find a
gallon of exterior oil-based primer last week when writing...only one
gallon on any shelf in town other than the "high-priced spread" at the S-W
store and I really didn't want to pay their price premium for the
particular job...

Check Ace Hardware. I was in the local store yesterday looking for hammer
paint. They had one but I noticed some oil base primer.

Posted to alt.home.repair
dpb dpb is offline

On 12/20/2016 1:12 PM, dadiOH wrote:
wrote in message news
On 12/20/2016 10:38 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I don't know where you shop, but you can buy "pure primer" just about
anywhere paint is sold. I would certainly not characterize it as "getting
harder to find".

Well, latex, yes...was thinking of the search I went through to find a
gallon of exterior oil-based primer last week when writing...only one
gallon on any shelf in town other than the "high-priced spread" at the S-W
store and I really didn't want to pay their price premium for the
particular job...

Check Ace Hardware. I was in the local store yesterday looking for hammer
paint. They had one but I noticed some oil base primer.

Neither had any oil-base anything other than the farm supply the line of
Van Sickle equipment OEM paint colors...but they didn't have any primer
in stock in anything but rattle cans.

The Best Value franchisee (Mead Lumber) had a couple gallons of a
Zinnser product and that was it for town.