Ah10201

Default painting MDF w/o primer?

i have to paint some MDF but ran out of primer. Has anyone painted MDF without
primer, and if so, does it make a huge difference?

thanks
David

Yes, you pretty much NEED to use primer.

David

Ah10201 wrote:
i have to paint some MDF but ran out of primer. Has anyone painted MDF without
primer, and if so, does it make a huge difference?

thanks

Leon

"Ah10201" wrote in message
i have to paint some MDF but ran out of primer. Has anyone painted MDF
without
primer, and if so, does it make a huge difference?

I have never primed MDF before painting. I have a customer that buys houses
restores the kitchens and sells the houses. I rebuild the kitchen drawers
and door fronts out of MDF and he sprays them with out primer. They look
fine to me. That said however he does spray several coats. I only put on
one coat when painting with a brush.
I suggest that you try it on a few scraps to see if the difference will be
significant enough to warrant priming the rest of the job.

David

Ok...so I won't bore you with the too-numerous-to-mention expert's
opinions who advise priming MDF before painting. I'm surprised you've
had ANY luck with painting MDF without a primer. But hey, I'm sure
there's plenty more things I don't understand! g

David

Leon wrote:

"Ah10201" wrote in message

i have to paint some MDF but ran out of primer. Has anyone painted MDF
without
primer, and if so, does it make a huge difference?

I have never primed MDF before painting. I have a customer that buys houses
restores the kitchens and sells the houses. I rebuild the kitchen drawers
and door fronts out of MDF and he sprays them with out primer. They look
fine to me. That said however he does spray several coats. I only put on
one coat when painting with a brush.
I suggest that you try it on a few scraps to see if the difference will be
significant enough to warrant priming the rest of the job.

Slowhand

"Ah10201" wrote in message
i have to paint some MDF but ran out of primer. Has anyone painted MDF
without
primer, and if so, does it make a huge difference?

Depends what type of paint you are using. I typically use laquer or enamel
spray paint so I always prime so I can sand out any blemishes. To answer
your question directly, no, you don't have to prime. But you will probably
need more coats of whatever finish you are using.
SH

Leon

"David" wrote in message
Ok...so I won't bore you with the too-numerous-to-mention expert's
opinions who advise priming MDF before painting. I'm surprised you've had
ANY luck with painting MDF without a primer. But hey, I'm sure there's
plenty more things I don't understand! g

In all fairness, I don't think there is a paint company out there that dies
not recommend a primer first coat on a new surface. But, they are in the
business of selling paint. ;~)

David

They'll probably sell MORE paint to the guy who opts to skip the
primer. But hey, if you can get MDF looking good without priming it
first, I'm not gonna get stressed.

David

Leon wrote:

"David" wrote in message

Ok...so I won't bore you with the too-numerous-to-mention expert's
opinions who advise priming MDF before painting. I'm surprised you've had
ANY luck with painting MDF without a primer. But hey, I'm sure there's
plenty more things I don't understand! g

In all fairness, I don't think there is a paint company out there that dies
not recommend a primer first coat on a new surface. But, they are in the
business of selling paint. ;~)

Leon

"David" wrote in message
They'll probably sell MORE paint to the guy who opts to skip the
primer.

The just might do that.