Tom

Default Primer/sealer for Painted Furniture

What BRAND of primer/sealer would you use for unfinished wood furniture?
I like what I read about Krylon bursh on Primer/sealer but can't locate a
supplier in the St. Louis, Mo area.
(Increases paint adhesion, Smooths uneven surfaces & Ensures true paint
color is achieved)

firstjois

Tom wrote:
What BRAND of primer/sealer would you use for unfinished wood
furniture? I like what I read about Krylon bursh on Primer/sealer
but can't locate a supplier in the St. Louis, Mo area.
(Increases paint adhesion, Smooths uneven surfaces & Ensures true
paint color is achieved)

If you have knots, you need to get something designed to block
discoloration from the knots from coming though the paint; takes a year or
so but they always show up. An oil based product is best: www.zinsser.com
zinsser makes one. Follow directions on the can then go ahead as you'd
planned.

If no knots you can make use of just about anything called a wood sealer.
I've used "sanding sealer" , water based sealers and the home centers
usually have a brand or two. I've never tried the Krylon.

Josie

Patriarch

"firstjois" wrote in
:

Tom wrote:
What BRAND of primer/sealer would you use for unfinished wood
furniture? I like what I read about Krylon bursh on Primer/sealer
but can't locate a supplier in the St. Louis, Mo area.
(Increases paint adhesion, Smooths uneven surfaces & Ensures true
paint color is achieved)

If you have knots, you need to get something designed to block
discoloration from the knots from coming though the paint; takes a
year or so but they always show up. An oil based product is best:
www.zinsser.com zinsser makes one. Follow directions on the can then
go ahead as you'd planned.

If no knots you can make use of just about anything called a wood
sealer. I've used "sanding sealer" , water based sealers and the home
centers usually have a brand or two. I've never tried the Krylon.

I've had much better experience with Zinnser BIN shellac primer sealer than
with their oil-based product. Both spray and brush types are available.

Patriarch
Stephen M

I've had much better experience with Zinnser BIN shellac primer sealer

than
with their oil-based product. Both spray and brush types are available.

Patriarch

I'll second that. I like the BIN because it dries faster than anything else
and sands very well to remove imperfections (dust nibs).

BTW, these are properties of shellac, not necessarily unique to BIN, but BIN
is probably the most widely available pigmented shellac primer/sealer.
Shellac is also known for it's excellent adhesion.

-Steve