Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Newsreader Survey -- Which do you use?

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 12:32 PM, TomR wrote:
So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thunderbird. I use it on Windows and Linux for an uniform cross-platform
experience. I never liked OE and haven't used it in 15 years or so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 2:32 PM, TomR wrote:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

I miss OE. It worked well.

On this portable I have Thunderbird, on my desktop I have Agent. They
both work well for me.

If you use different computers you can put Thunderbird Portable on a
thumb drive. I use it at work at times.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 12/17/2016 12:32 PM, TomR wrote:
So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thunderbird. I use it on Windows and Linux for an uniform
cross-platform experience. I never liked OE and haven't used it in 15
years or so.

OE/Quotefix , just one of many reasons that almost every computer in my
house runs XP . My wife likes her Win7 Pro 64bit laptop , she's using T-bird
.. I've used it in the past and liked it when I couldn't have OE ...
--
Snag

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Been using Forté Agent for 20+ years, and older 32bit version now on
Win7. Simple and stable, never had a problem. My server is
Eternal-September (free) Text only for Usenet. Never used the E-mail
feature. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort%C3%A9_Agent
It is portable so you can move/copy it to another machine and run it
standalone.

It ain't broke so it ain't gettin' fixed

Version 8 is he http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php with a
video for binaries...

There is a Usenet group for Agent. Might poke around in there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote
in

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

I've been using Forte Agent for about 20 years. I use it for both
email and NGs

http://www.forteinc.com/agent/index.php

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

By the way, if you look at the headers of most posts the newsreader
being used to make the post is listed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

BTW, also see _Comparison of Usenet newsreaders_

Wik: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Usenet_newsreaders
Posted to alt.home.repair

"TomR" wrote in message
news
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers,
and the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as
well as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Checking the headers of a post will tell you what the poster is using.

I use Outlook Express from runasdxp,com on Windows 10
http://runasxp.com/Thread-OE-for-windows-7-8-and-10

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using. My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers,
and the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.
So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.
So, I am taking a quick survey -- Which Newsreader(s) are you using?
Thanks.

Forte Agent a version from ~ 2002.
Has worked fine on my desktops and laptops
from Xp Pro to Win 8.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

Forte Agent. Works good for me.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Per TomR:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

Forte's "Agent".

My only gripe is that it does not work dependably over a LAN - i.e. I
have to keep it's files on my PC instead of the NAS box.
--
Pete Cresswell

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 01:45 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/17/2016 12:32 PM, TomR wrote:
So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thunderbird. I use it on Windows and Linux for an uniform cross-platform
experience. I never liked OE and haven't used it in 15 years or so.

Same for me.

--
8 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Being surprised at the fact that the universe is fine tuned for life is
akin to a puddle being surprised at how well it fits its hole" --
Douglas Adams
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.
My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.
So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.
So, I am taking a quick survey --
Which Newsreader(s) are you using?
Thanks.

Usenet reader for android

Works good enough

--
Usenet Reader for Android
http://android.newsgroupstats.hk
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, December 17, 2016 at 3:06:56 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

If you use different computers *and* you can use a thumb drive on them.

There are certain situations where no external media devices are not allowed
and therefore won't be recognized. DAMHIKT
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Forte Agent 5 on Xubuntu/wine.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 2:32 PM, TomR wrote:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

Thunderbird on Win10.

Don't know about OE but it may still be available:

http://runasxp.com/Thread-OE-for-windows-7-8-and-10

I have to use old IE on Win10 which now has MS Next browser and found it
was still there. I just had to look for it. I needed it to access
clients network.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2016-12-17, TomR wrote:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

Have been using slrn for quite a few years, it works fine. (Before that
I used rn.)

NSA sedition and treason -- http://www.DeathToNSAthugs.com
Don't talk to cops! -- http://www.DontTalkToCops.com
Badges don't grant extra rights -- http://www.CopBlock.org
Posted to alt.home.repair

Google groups..

works everywhere on any PC

I know a few years ago GG was responsible for a lot of
spam hitting Usenet, that problem seems to be
resolved these days.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 14:32:17 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

Forte Agent for 15 years
Posted to alt.home.repair

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

I have been using Xnews for many years. Works great for me.

Anthony Watson
www.watsondiy.com
www.mountainsoftware.com
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/16 2:37 PM, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 12/17/2016 01:45 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/17/2016 12:32 PM, TomR wrote:
So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thunderbird. I use it on Windows and Linux for an uniform cross-platform
experience. I never liked OE and haven't used it in 15 years or so.

Same for me.

Yep. I really like the filtering ability of T-bird, especially the
"ignore subthread" option.

OE had some better keyboard shortcuts, but I got over that soon enough.

Jon

Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.online-service.webtv

On 12/17/2016 11:32 AM, TomR wrote:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10 computers, and
the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using on a Windows XP
computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work as well
as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

Well..... I wood tell you but that's classified.
You see, after my final Nam tour, I joined up with the C.I.A.
I'm in deep Usenet cover; and like a submarine, I only come up every so
often.

Colonel E. Burke...over 'n out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/16 8:16 AM, Jon Danniken wrote:

Some cut.

Yep. I really like the filtering ability of T-bird, especially the
"ignore subthread" option.

That ignore option is good to have after reading the 12th or 30th
post in a thread. Rewrap under edit is nice too. I use it on my Mac.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/17/2016 7:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On this portable I have Thunderbird, on my desktop I have Agent. They
both work well for me.

If you use different computers you can put Thunderbird Portable on a
thumb drive. I use it at work at times.

If you use different computers *and* you can use a thumb drive on them.

There are certain situations where no external media devices are not allowed
and therefore won't be recognized. DAMHIKT

Ran into that at the hospital where they have a waiting area for family
of Critical Care and surgery. There are two computers you can use. Of
course, restricted. I did have a form of entertainment though, someone
left their Gmail account signed in. Now Robert's friends know how much
he truly loves them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Dec 2016 10:07:34 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/17/2016 7:10 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

On this portable I have Thunderbird, on my desktop I have Agent. They
both work well for me.

If you use different computers you can put Thunderbird Portable on a
thumb drive. I use it at work at times.

If you use different computers *and* you can use a thumb drive on them.

There are certain situations where no external media devices are not allowed
and therefore won't be recognized. DAMHIKT

Ran into that at the hospital where they have a waiting area for family
of Critical Care and surgery. There are two computers you can use. Of
course, restricted. I did have a form of entertainment though, someone
left their Gmail account signed in. Now Robert's friends know how much
he truly loves them.

I load my Agent off onto a thumb drive when I travel but I am still
using computers that are open. I like it because it runs as a polite
guest and leaves no tracks when you pull the drive out.
There is nothing magic about that. Agent.Exe simply runs as a stand
alone program, not beholden to any Windows registry resources. (it is
not "installed")
I haven't tried it but with the right drivers, it might run under DOS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Dec 2016 19:48:18 -0800 (PST), advised:

Ug.

I use tin. But what does this have to do with building something,
maintaining something, and/or repairing it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
(PeteCresswell) typed:
Per TomR:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here
are using.

Forte's "Agent".

My only gripe is that it does not work dependably over a LAN - i.e. I
have to keep it's files on my PC instead of the NAS box.

Just curious..., what does "I have to keep it's files on my PC instead of
the NAS box" mean?

I am not sure what an NAS box is..

Posted to alt.home.repair

In news TomR typed:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here are
using.

Thanks all.

So far, on my Windows 10 computers, I have been trying Thunderbird and
Windows Live Mail (WLM).

The WLM seems to be the closest to the Outlook Express that I am used to
using, and I can do things like mark a thread as "Watched" which makes the
customize the menu bars to include icons such as "Next Unread". And, when I
reply to a message in WLM, it doesn't include the "" attributes showing the
prior text vs. my new text.

I can get Thunderbird to show menu icons such as "Next Unread" for
navigating, and Thunderbird does include the"" attributes for quoting the
prior text when submitting a reply to a message. But, when I want to mark a
thread as "Watched" all it will do is place a small tag next to the first
message in the thread but not next to the subthread messages. And, I
haven't figured any way to get the "Watched" thread, and all messages in
that Watched thread to become red or otherwise highlighted.

I am going to try Forte Agent -- maybe the paid version on a 30-day free
trial, or may an older free version, and see how that works.

I also tried Opera based on suggestions from others elsewhere, but I haven't
figured out how to get it to even work as a Newsreader -- which supposedly
it can do.

Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR has brought this to us :
In ,
(PeteCresswell) typed:
Per TomR:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here
are using.

Forte's "Agent".

My only gripe is that it does not work dependably over a LAN - i.e. I
have to keep it's files on my PC instead of the NAS box.

Just curious..., what does "I have to keep it's files on my PC instead of the
NAS box" mean?

I am not sure what an NAS box is..

Network Attached Storage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, December 18, 2016 at 10:38:09 AM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

I'm talking about computers that complain as soon as you plug the thumb drive
in. (You may be too)

In that situation, running under DOS wouldn't work either. In fact, some of the
computers I'm talking about won't even let you access the command prompt.
Posted to alt.home.repair

TomR wrote:

I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here
are using.

My reason for asking is that I am now migrating to Windows 10
computers, and the Outlook Express (with QuoteFix) that I was using
on a Windows XP computer does not work on Windows 10 computers.

So, I have been trying Thunderbird and Windows Live Mail (WLM) as a
newsreader on the Windows 10 computers, but I can't get them to work
as well as Outlook Express worked on my XP computer.

So, I am taking a quick survey --

Which Newsreader(s) are you using?

Thanks.

When I switched from Outlook Express many years ago I wasn't satisfied
with any newsreader until I found Xananews. It has the closest "feel"
to OE, but the functionality of a real newsreader that OE lacked. I've
continued testing many other newsreaders over the years but can't bring
myself to switch.

For my iPhone I use NewsTap or NewsTap Lite. It's not ideal, but far
better than any other mobile ones available for iOS.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/18/2016 1:23 PM, FromTheRafters wrote:
TomR has brought this to us :
In ,
(PeteCresswell) typed:
Per TomR:
I would be interested in finding out which newsreaders people here
are using.

Forte's "Agent".

My only gripe is that it does not work dependably over a LAN - i.e. I
have to keep it's files on my PC instead of the NAS box.

Just curious..., what does "I have to keep it's files on my PC instead
of the NAS box" mean?

I am not sure what an NAS box is..

Network Attached Storage.

Okay, thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per TomR:

Just curious..., what does "I have to keep it's files on my PC instead of
the NAS box" mean?

I am not sure what an NAS box is..

Network-Attached Storage: basically a PC with multiple hard drives and a
few bells and whistles that optimize it for storing data.

If you have multiple PCs/phones/tablets it provides the convenience of
one-stop shopping: everything is on the NAS box and you can get to it
from any device you happen to be using at the moment - as long as you
can get to the LAN.
--
Pete Cresswell