Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Pan newsreader again

I've looked back at a request to make Pan sort articles similar to OE/
Windows Mail i.e. watched contributions at the top then the rest in date
order as when you sort by date.

Normal Pan behaviour is to display threads in date order of the thread
start.
This is what I would expect from a newsreader.

If I score a thread by watching it, then sort by score, the watched
threads go to the top but the rest of the posts appear unthreaded and they
appear to be displayed by date of posting.

Anyone know how I can maintain the standard threaded layout but get the
watched threads to appear at the top?

I assume I also have to set up a scoring rule to get threads I have
started to be automatically watched.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Pan in Vista on second Vista PC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:19:21 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Anyone know how I can maintain the standard threaded layout but get the
watched threads to appear at the top?

Try asking in this active Pan newsgroup:

gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

For gmane, ther is a registration procedure)

--
/\/\aurice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:19:21 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Anyone know how I can maintain the standard threaded layout but get the
watched threads to appear at the top?

Try asking in this active Pan newsgroup:

gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

For gmane, ther is a registration procedure)

Can't see it on my news server

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 2013-01-24, Maurice Batey wrote:

gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

WTF is *that*? It ain't a newsgroup ...

GMANE run mailing list - usenet gateways, also mail archives

http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:52:35 +0000, Huge wrote:

There is no newsgroup called "comp.gnome.apps.pan.user"

Thats strange, my newsreader there is!

It may be a Mailing-List that is presented in newsgroup form.

It's up to you if you want to try. I can almost guarantee you will find
a solution there to your problem...

--
/\/\aurice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:47:35 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:52:35 +0000, Huge wrote:

There is no newsgroup called "comp.gnome.apps.pan.user"

Thats strange, my newsreader there is!

It may be a Mailing-List that is presented in newsgroup form.

It's up to you if you want to try. I can almost guarantee you will find
a solution there to your problem...

Which news server are you using?

Not visible on news.individual.net

--
Pan in Vista on second Vista PC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

David.WE.Roberts wrote:
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 16:47:35 +0000, Maurice Batey wrote:

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 07:52:35 +0000, Huge wrote:

There is no newsgroup called "comp.gnome.apps.pan.user"

Thats strange, my newsreader there is!

It may be a Mailing-List that is presented in newsgroup form.

It's up to you if you want to try. I can almost guarantee you will find
a solution there to your problem...

Which news server are you using?

Not visible on news.individual.net

nntp://news.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnome.apps.pan.user

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:08:35 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Which news server are you using?

news.gmane.org
--
/\/\aurice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Maurice Batey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 25 Jan 2013 22:08:35 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

Which news server are you using?

news.gmane.org
--
/\/\aurice

O.K. - finally got all signed up for that.

Very small group of enthusiasts which gives a picture of where Pan is at the
moment.
Nice that there is still an active developer involved.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 23 Jan 2013 21:19:21 +0000, David.WE.Roberts wrote:

I've looked back at a request to make Pan sort articles similar to OE/
Windows Mail i.e. watched contributions at the top then the rest in date
order as when you sort by date.

Normal Pan behaviour is to display threads in date order of the thread
start.
This is what I would expect from a newsreader.

If I score a thread by watching it, then sort by score, the watched
threads go to the top but the rest of the posts appear unthreaded and
they appear to be displayed by date of posting.

Anyone know how I can maintain the standard threaded layout but get the
watched threads to appear at the top?

I assume I also have to set up a scoring rule to get threads I have
started to be automatically watched.

Finally (with much help) worked out how to do this.

(1) Click on Date column until oldest thread is shown at top of header
pane.

(2) Click on Score column - highest score then at bottom of header pane.

(3) Click on Score column again and highest score is at the top of the
header pane, and everything is sorted in 'latest thread first' order.

You have to get the Date column into the correct sort key order before
selecting the Score column as your sort key.

Pan remembers the last column you sorted on and takes the sort order as
your secondary sort key.

I still don't know why you have to do it in what seems to me to be an arse
about face way of doing things but at least I have a solution.

Cheers

Dave R