Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default [OT] -- Pan Newsreader Help

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008 22:47:17 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Thank you Mr. President...we all have always wanted to live under a
bridge..and now we get our wish.

TMT

Goldman sees $1.2 trillion global credit loss Tue Mar 25, 1:30 PM ET

Goldman Sachs forecasts global credit losses stemming from the current
market turmoil will reach $1.2 trillion, with Wall Street accounting for
nearly 40 percent of the losses.

U.S. leveraged institutions, which include banks, brokers-dealers, hedge
funds and government-sponsored enterprises, will suffer roughly $460
billion in credit losses after loan loss provisions, Goldman Sachs
economists wrote in a research note released late on Monday.

Losses from this group of players are crucial because they have led to a
dramatic pullback in credit availability as they have pared lending to
shore up their capital and preserve their capital requirements, they
said.

Goldman estimated $120 billion in write-offs have been reported by these
leveraged institutions since the credit crunch began last summer.

"U.S. leveraged institutions have written off less than half of the
losses associated with the bursting of the credit bubble," they said.
"There is light at the end of the tunnel, but it is still rather dim."

Of the cumulative losses expected by these leveraged players, bad
residential home loans will represent about half, while poor- performing
commercial mortgages will represent 15 percent to 20 percent.

The rest of the losses will come from credit card loans, car loans,
commercial and industrial lending and non-financial corporate bonds,
Goldman economists said.

Facing more credit losses, leveraged institutions have raised about $100
billion in new capital from domestic and foreign investors and reduced
dividend payouts. This amount is more than three-quarters of the
write-offs to date, the report said.

(Reporting by Richard Leong)

Well, I _tried_ to block any posts that included misc.survivalism, but
PAN doesn't seem to know what the heck I mean.

Any pointers on how to get 'er done?

And out of curiosity -- does anything useful _ever_ get posted to
misc.survivalism, or is it just a dumping ground for political posts?

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2008-03-26, Tim Wescott wrote:
Well, I _tried_ to block any posts that included misc.survivalism, but
PAN doesn't seem to know what the heck I mean.

Any pointers on how to get 'er done?

Try slrn.

And out of curiosity -- does anything useful _ever_ get posted to
misc.survivalism, or is it just a dumping ground for political posts?

It is mostly a looney bin, however, it is a good place to ask camping
or gun storage questions.