Posted to alt.home.repair

Default colling: wall

What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/13/2016 10:28 PM, micky wrote:
What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

One problem with through the wall air conditioners is that
when it comes time to replace them how do you find any the
same size?

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:29:38 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Maybe they mean mini-splits, which mount on the wall? But since it
has forced air, was built 10 years ago, that doesn't sound right.
My guess is it's a typo/mistake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 10:39:01 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Tuesday, December 13, 2016 at 11:29:38 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Maybe they mean mini-splits, which mount on the wall? But since it
has forced air, was built 10 years ago, that doesn't sound right.
My guess is it's a typo/mistake.

I don't think they're talking conventional AC like a minisplit.

There is something called cold plate cooling, which is essentially a cold radiator. It requires you to dehumidify the air first, which is sometimes done anyway in a building with tempered fresh air, or might not be necessary in a dry climate.

That hydrogel wall in the other link looks like another system that could cool but would not dehumidify, so like swamp coolers will only work in limited locations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 11:23:08 AM UTC-5, TimR wrote:
[...]

And it's not avail yet, let alone in 2007 when the house was built.

Technology like those in a $265K house? My bet is still it's most
likely just a typo/mistake. A house like that, in DE, with forced air
heat, would almost certainly have typical central air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:28:45 -0500, micky
wrote:

What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Maybe a motel style wall unit?

https://www.heatandcool.com/15-000-btu-klimaire-ptac-cooling-only-with-5-kw-electric-heater-9-5-eer.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Maybe a motel style wall unit?

https://www.heatandcool.com/15-000-btu-klimaire-ptac-cooling-only-with-5-kw-electric-heater-9-5-eer.html

It's certainly a *wall* unit but I still doubt that's what's used. Even
they don't suggest it for homes, "Klimaire Package Terminal Air
Conditioner (PTAC) units are designed to provide year-round comfort in
hotel, motel, office buildings, nursing homes, classrooms, apartments,
dormitories, and hospitals. PTAC's are conveniently installed on an
interior wall with the back of the unit vented to the exterior. No
ducting is required. Klimaire's KTHN PTAC's are built to the industry
standard 42 inch width and fit standard 16 inch existing wall sleeves."

I quoted to the last part for Bill's sake becuase it refers to a
"standard 16" wall sleeve." I've also noticed that there's a standard
because you can see from the outside in many apartment buildings of a
certain type and age that, to the extent I can measure with my eyes, the
sleeve is always the same size. Way back in 1973, in a building built
10 or 20 years earlier, they had a sleeve of that size.

I'm willing to go with Trader's idea that it's a mistake.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:42:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
It's certainly a *wall* unit but I still doubt that's what's used. Even
they don't suggest it for homes, "Klimaire Package Terminal Air
Conditioner (PTAC) units are designed to provide year-round comfort in
hotel, motel, office buildings, nursing homes, classrooms, apartments,
dormitories, and hospitals. PTAC's are conveniently installed on an
interior wall with the back of the unit vented to the exterior. No
ducting is required.

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2016 9:21 AM, Bill Gill wrote:

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

One problem with through the wall air conditioners is that
when it comes time to replace them how do you find any the
same size?

Bill

My first house I put a window AC through the wall. It was fairly common
and mini-splits did not exist back then. I did it about 1965 or so.
Probably a half dozen houses on my block did that and I know of many
more. Common solution back then.

With improvements in technology, newer AC units were usually a bit
smaller so it was easy to add a filler panel on top. That is what I did.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2016 3:20 PM, TimR wrote:

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

Most are, because they are going for a low price point. I worked for
the Nesbitt Company a few decades ago and they built units that were so
quiet you could not hear them a couple of feet away. They were the
highest priced unit at the time too. The compam went out of business in
the 70's.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 18:35:40 -0500, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 12/14/2016 3:20 PM, TimR wrote:

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

I try to find motels where the windows open. Not always easy,
especially newer buildings.

Most are, because they are going for a low price point. I worked for
the Nesbitt Company a few decades ago and they built units that were so
quiet you could not hear them a couple of feet away. They were the
highest priced unit at the time too. The compam went out of business in
the 70's.

It was 50 years ago but a friend had a quiet window air conditioner.
Designed so the double hung window closed to an inch or two above the
sill, Just pipes from the front to the bakc so the compressor was
outside and the noise was less.

I never saw one of these for sale, even though I t hink people would
have always liked them..
Posted to alt.home.repair

TimR posted for all of us...

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 12:42:08 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:
It's certainly a *wall* unit but I still doubt that's what's used. Even
they don't suggest it for homes, "Klimaire Package Terminal Air
Conditioner (PTAC) units are designed to provide year-round comfort in
hotel, motel, office buildings, nursing homes, classrooms, apartments,
dormitories, and hospitals. PTAC's are conveniently installed on an
interior wall with the back of the unit vented to the exterior. No
ducting is required.

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

+1 If you ever stayed in a motel/hotel with these you will remember them.
They also have a wide hysteris range providing no comfort. Many times not
well maintained. Get a mini split.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 12/14/2016 3:20 PM, TimR wrote:

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

Most are, because they are going for a low price point. I worked for
the Nesbitt Company a few decades ago and they built units that were so
quiet you could not hear them a couple of feet away. They were the
highest priced unit at the time too. The compam went out of business in
the 70's.

Exactly, I remember the Nesbitt's.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 9:21:12 AM UTC-5, Bill Gill wrote:
On 12/13/2016 10:28 PM, micky wrote:
What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

One problem with through the wall air conditioners is that
when it comes time to replace them how do you find any the
same size?

Bill

Worse yet:

Install 2 through the *brick* wall AC units, then a few years later install
central AC and then a few years later get the house ready to be put on the
market.

Do you pay someone to remove them, repair the interior wall and exterior
brick wall or do you leave them in place and deal with the buyers when they
put in an offer?

That's where we're at with my dad's house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/14/2016 10:50 PM, micky wrote:

It was 50 years ago but a friend had a quiet window air conditioner.
Designed so the double hung window closed to an inch or two above the
sill, Just pipes from the front to the bakc so the compressor was
outside and the noise was less.

I never saw one of these for sale, even though I t hink people would
have always liked them..

Frigidaire made the Vista model in the 90's. Never saw one installed so
I have no idea how well they worked. They cost more than standard units
so were less popular.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/15/2016 3:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Worse yet:

Install 2 through the *brick* wall AC units, then a few years later install
central AC and then a few years later get the house ready to be put on the
market.

Do you pay someone to remove them, repair the interior wall and exterior
brick wall or do you leave them in place and deal with the buyers when they
put in an offer?

That's where we're at with my dad's house.

Never got to stage 2. Sold the house with the AC in the wall. That was
35 years ago so I have no idea what took place since.

I'd probably leave them. Use it as a selling point, back up AC. Only
cool the space you are using and save energy. You should get a premium.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 15, 2016 at 5:32:28 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/15/2016 3:58 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Worse yet:

Install 2 through the *brick* wall AC units, then a few years later install
central AC and then a few years later get the house ready to be put on the
market.

Do you pay someone to remove them, repair the interior wall and exterior
brick wall or do you leave them in place and deal with the buyers when they
put in an offer?

That's where we're at with my dad's house.

Never got to stage 2. Sold the house with the AC in the wall. That was
35 years ago so I have no idea what took place since.

I'd probably leave them. Use it as a selling point, back up AC. Only
cool the space you are using and save energy. You should get a premium.

Good idea, except that at least one of them doesn't work. Not sure about the
other one.

Another negotiating point, I guess. ;-)

BTW...we are almost 100% sure that they are staying where they are. We would
rather discount the house based on a reasonable estimate to have them removed
than do it ourselves and run into problems once the job gets started. We could
probably do a most of the work ourselves, but Grandpa was the mason, not any
of us. He built the house in his "spare time".

We don't really know how the holes were cut, how they were supported, etc.
The brothers and I all live 200-300 miles away so this is not a job we feel
like tackling.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 14, 2016 at 6:35:44 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/14/2016 3:20 PM, TimR wrote:

Hate PTACs, would never have one in a house. A garage or shed, sure.

There is no humidity control and they put the loud compressor right next to you, plus they are energy hogs.

Most are, because they are going for a low price point. I worked for
the Nesbitt Company a few decades ago and they built units that were so
quiet you could not hear them a couple of feet away.

Quieter still are corks plugging the holes in the sashes of the windows in
the barracks at USCG Lorsta Port Clarence, AK.

http://www.loran-history.info/port_c...ence1000FT.JPG

We attached styrofoam lined wooden boxes to the inside window sills to
chill our beverages. You could chill 2 Miller 7 oz bottles in the time
it took to change from your uniform into your civvies. Leave 'em in
there too long and they would freeze.