Posted to alt.home.repair
micky micky is offline

Default colling: wall

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 14 Dec 2016 09:21:39 -0800, Oren
wrote:

On Tue, 13 Dec 2016 23:28:45 -0500, micky
wrote:

What is wall cooling?

This house seems to have it
http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/11...99339017_zpid/

This is some fancy method that isnt' ready yet.
http://www.citymetric.com/horizons/t...nditioning-399

Another page says "A wall cooling system is a sleeve air conditioner.
This is much like a window air conditioner, but it is set in the wall.
This wall unit is only a few years old. "

I don't think a 250K house built in 2007 on a half-acre lot would have a
room AC through the wall, but the other method isn't ready.

Maybe a motel style wall unit?

https://www.heatandcool.com/15-000-btu-klimaire-ptac-cooling-only-with-5-kw-electric-heater-9-5-eer.html

It's certainly a *wall* unit but I still doubt that's what's used. Even
they don't suggest it for homes, "Klimaire Package Terminal Air
Conditioner (PTAC) units are designed to provide year-round comfort in
hotel, motel, office buildings, nursing homes, classrooms, apartments,
dormitories, and hospitals. PTAC's are conveniently installed on an
interior wall with the back of the unit vented to the exterior. No
ducting is required. Klimaire's KTHN PTAC's are built to the industry
standard 42 inch width and fit standard 16 inch existing wall sleeves."

I quoted to the last part for Bill's sake becuase it refers to a
"standard 16" wall sleeve." I've also noticed that there's a standard
because you can see from the outside in many apartment buildings of a
certain type and age that, to the extent I can measure with my eyes, the
sleeve is always the same size. Way back in 1973, in a building built
10 or 20 years earlier, they had a sleeve of that size.

I'm willing to go with Trader's idea that it's a mistake.