Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carbon Monoxide

Had to go back on-line for this even though I was going to be signing
off for a few days

A friend of mine is doing repair work at a house.

The guy who owns the house is giving him free room and board in exchange
for labor.

The owner had warmed his car up inside of the built-in garage.

Even though the overhead door was open, the fumes filtered into the
bedroom above where my friend was staying.

He furiously told the owner not to do that.

The next day the owner did it again while my buddy was sleeping and for
some reason miraculously woke up just in time to call 911. They told him
in a few more minutes he would have been dead.

I told the guy to call the police and report it as attempted negligent
homicide then get the hell out at once.

I am worried that it may take him a few days to find some other place to
move.

Since I posted recently that a friend of a friend died this year from CO

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 3:18 PM, philo wrote:

Since I posted recently that a friend of a friend died this year from CO

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

They are mandatory in most new homes, smart people have them in their
older homes too.

They do make dual smoke/CO alarms but a standard smoke alarm does
nothing to help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 14:18:49 -0600, philo wrote:

[...]

They ARE mandatory in Ontario Canada, and they should be everywhere.
A standard smoke detector does not detect CO - but there ARE
combination detectors available.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

http://www.pertheast.ca/en/municipal...oxide--CO-.asp

Posted to alt.home.repair

Per Ralph Mowery:
As the smoke alarm is uusually mounted high and the
CO is mostly low, they peobalby will not go off soon enough.

That's good to know.... Thanks.
--
Pete Cresswell
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carbon Monoxide Thanks everyone

On 12/09/2016 02:18 PM, philo wrote:
Had to go back on-line for this even though I was going to be signing
off for a few days

A friend of mine is doing repair work at a house.

The guy who owns the house is giving him free room and board in exchange
for labor.

The owner had warmed his car up inside of the built-in garage.

Even though the overhead door was open, the fumes filtered into the
bedroom above where my friend was staying.

He furiously told the owner not to do that.

I told the guy that if he does not move out today to get a CO detector
for sure.

I have one in my house...it's in the basement where the furnace is.

Though we would never use our gas range for heating I wonder if it would
be a good precaution to put a CO detector in the kitchen

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 12:18 PM, philo wrote:

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

Why do you care if it's mandatory???
If I were in that situation, I'd get my ass down to home depot
and buy one.
A lot cheaper than preordering a headstone with "it was the landlord's
fault" engraved on it.

Would you live there for one more instant??? Not me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 4:05 PM, philo wrote:

I have one in my house...it's in the basement where the furnace is.

Though we would never use our gas range for heating I wonder if it would
be a good precaution to put a CO detector in the kitchen

Usually outside the bedroom, but check he
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/...-of-CO-alarms/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 03:40 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2016 4:05 PM, philo wrote:

I have one in my house...it's in the basement where the furnace is.

Though we would never use our gas range for heating I wonder if it would
be a good precaution to put a CO detector in the kitchen

Usually outside the bedroom, but check he
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/...-of-CO-alarms/

Thanks. Might as well play it safe and get at least one more.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 03:09 PM, mike wrote:
On 12/9/2016 12:18 PM, philo wrote:

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

Why do you care if it's mandatory???
If I were in that situation, I'd get my ass down to home depot
and buy one.
A lot cheaper than preordering a headstone with "it was the landlord's
fault" engraved on it.

Would you live there for one more instant??? Not me.

Whether it's mandatory or not I have one and will probably get another.

Considering I've heard of one death this year and one more near
death...it really should be mandatory for everyone I'd think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 02:47 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 12/9/2016 3:18 PM, philo wrote:

Since I posted recently that a friend of a friend died this year from CO

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

They are mandatory in most new homes, smart people have them in their
older homes too.

That's good of course but they should be mandatory in existing homes as
well. I'd think the older homes would be more likely to have problems

They do make dual smoke/CO alarms but a standard smoke alarm does
nothing to help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
news
That's good of course but they should be mandatory in existing homes as
well. I'd think the older homes would be more likely to have problems

QUICK! Let's get this passed now so that the feds will pay for them for
those who can't afford them. Maybe add a penalty if the people don't
comply.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"philo" wrote in message
news
[...]

So was the car owner in the garage or car while the car was warming up?
Have you never done the same?

Despite what the MD call taker at 911 told him I personally wouldn't worry
about being in a bedroom in a house where an engine was running in an open
garage.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 1:05 PM, philo wrote:
On 12/09/2016 02:18 PM, philo wrote:
Had to go back on-line for this even though I was going to be signing
off for a few days

A friend of mine is doing repair work at a house.

The guy who owns the house is giving him free room and board in exchange
for labor.

The owner had warmed his car up inside of the built-in garage.

Even though the overhead door was open, the fumes filtered into the
bedroom above where my friend was staying.

He furiously told the owner not to do that.

I told the guy that if he does not move out today to get a CO detector
for sure.

I have one in my house...it's in the basement where the furnace is.

Though we would never use our gas range for heating I wonder if it would
be a good precaution to put a CO detector in the kitchen

I won't discourage an early warning system, but the most important CO
detector
is the one that DIRECTLY samples the air you're breathing
THIS VERY MINUTE and has an alarm that you can easily hear over other
ambient noise where you're currently located.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 6:34 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
news
That's good of course but they should be mandatory in existing homes as
well. I'd think the older homes would be more likely to have problems

QUICK! Let's get this passed now so that the feds will pay for them for
those who can't afford them. Maybe add a penalty if the people don't
comply.

I've seen many give aways for them. Various towns or fire departments
make them available for anyone that cannot afford them.

I don't know if they can make it mandatory for private homes, but rental
properties are usually covered.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/9/2016 6:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:

Since I posted recently that a friend of a friend died this year from CO

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

So was the car owner in the garage or car while the car was warming up?
Have you never done the same?

Despite what the MD call taker at 911 told him I personally wouldn't worry
about being in a bedroom in a house where an engine was running in an open
garage.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

My guess is the guy had an older car in need of a tune-up. Maybe an oil
burning POS and the exhaust really smelled. Newer cars with cat
converters don't give off a lot of CO these days, but in a closed
garage, it can kill you. There were a couple of kids killed in bed
recently from a car left running in a closed garage. Carelessness and
stupidity are factors.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...618-story.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 9 Dec 2016 16:40:15 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 12/9/2016 4:05 PM, philo wrote:

I have one in my house...it's in the basement where the furnace is.

Though we would never use our gas range for heating I wonder if it would
be a good precaution to put a CO detector in the kitchen

Usually outside the bedroom, but check he
http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/...-of-CO-alarms/

Here they are required wherever there is a "fuel burning appliance"
or an attached garage, next to all sleeping areas..

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 05:42 PM, dadiOH wrote:
"philo" wrote in message

I am worried that it may take him a few days to find some other place to
move.

Since I posted recently that a friend of a friend died this year from CO

I am wondering if CO alarms should be mandatory....or does a standard
smoke alarm also warn the occupants of CO

So was the car owner in the garage or car while the car was warming up?
Have you never done the same?

Despite what the MD call taker at 911 told him I personally wouldn't worry
about being in a bedroom in a house where an engine was running in an open
garage.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

Oh no! This was absolutely NOT a false alarm, they rushed him to the
hospital ASAP and the whole time had him on oxygen,,,they absolutely
said a few more minutes he would have been dead.

Yes, CO is odorless but a car also emits hydrocarbons and I suspect it
was probably and old junker and might have had odoriferous fumes
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 08:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Ondroom in a house where an engine was running in an
open
garage.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

My guess is the guy had an older car in need of a tune-up. Maybe an oil
burning POS and the exhaust really smelled. Newer cars with cat
converters don't give off a lot of CO these days, but in a closed
garage, it can kill you. There were a couple of kids killed in bed
recently from a car left running in a closed garage. Carelessness and
stupidity are factors.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...618-story.html

Yep, I'm sure the car was a POS
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 3:18:54 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

They are mandatory today in many states for new construction, when you
get a CO for sale, in rentals, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 9, 2016 at 7:42:13 PM UTC-5, dadiOH wrote:
"philo" wrote in message
news
[...]

I'd be worried about it, especially when it's apparently a rental
and the tenant probably doesn't know much about how the garage is
constructed. It's not unheard of for there to be a path from the
garage to the home HVAC intake, for example. A lot can also depend
on the wind, ie is it blowing the exhaust back into the garage?

I can tell you that I was affected by CO from the generator on my
boat one day. I was anchored in a bay, with the gen running.
The exhaust comes out the back, near the water level. I was
inside the cabin, with the door open, and enough exhaust apparently was
blowing back that after 30 mins or so, I started to feel light
headed. Quite a few people have died while swimming close
behind boats like that too. I turned off the gen, stayed outside
for 15 mins or so and was fine.

I think running an engine in a garage like that is a very bad idea.
Even if it doesn't kill someone in the house, foolish people can get
used to it, not be thinking and maybe go back into the garage to
do something while the car is warming up, not realizing that the
CO level there can be high.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/10/2016 09:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The guy who got CO poisoned said the house is a cheap POS and the floor
of the room directly over the car does not even have insulation.

Since he posted on FB today I assume is is not dead yet.

I never wanted a house with a built-in garage just for reasons like that.

I do not even have a garage at all and knew if I built one, I'd just be
one of those people who would fill it with crap and still end up parking
the car outside.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 10 Dec 2016 05:41:59 -0600, philo wrote:

On 12/09/2016 08:30 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Ondroom in a house where an engine was running in an
open
garage.

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

My guess is the guy had an older car in need of a tune-up. Maybe an oil
burning POS and the exhaust really smelled. Newer cars with cat
converters don't give off a lot of CO these days, but in a closed
garage, it can kill you. There were a couple of kids killed in bed
recently from a car left running in a closed garage. Carelessness and
stupidity are factors.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburb...618-story.html

Yep, I'm sure the car was a POS

People have failed in their attempts to commit suicide running a late
model Subaru in an enclosed garage because the co level is SO low.
They MAY have succeded if they started the car cold in the garage
instead of coming in all steemed up with the engine fully warmed up
and deciding to end it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/09/2016 04:52 PM, philo wrote:

[snip]

Whether it's mandatory or not I have one and will probably get another.

Considering I've heard of one death this year and one more near
death...it really should be mandatory for everyone I'd think.

I have a friend who has one in an all-electric apartment (there should
be no fuel of any kind anywhere in the building).

--
15 days until the winter celebration (Sunday December 25, 2016 12:00:00
AM for 1 day).

Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"The unnatural, that too is natural." [Goethe]

Carbon Monoxide Weatherlawyer UK diy 75 January 29th 15 05:29 PM
Carbon Monoxide detector DerbyBorn[_5_] UK diy 52 November 7th 13 02:16 PM
Carbon Monoxide Detector DerbyBorn[_4_] UK diy 13 October 25th 13 09:49 PM
Carbon monoxide Dee UK diy 5 October 5th 05 05:01 PM