Posted to alt.home.repair
philo philo is offline

Default Carbon Monoxide

On 12/10/2016 09:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:

BTW, you can't smell carbon monoxide.

I'd be worried about it, especially when it's apparently a rental
and the tenant probably doesn't know much about how the garage is
constructed. It's not unheard of for there to be a path from the
garage to the home HVAC intake, for example. A lot can also depend
on the wind, ie is it blowing the exhaust back into the garage?

I can tell you that I was affected by CO from the generator on my
boat one day. I was anchored in a bay, with the gen running.
The exhaust comes out the back, near the water level. I was
inside the cabin, with the door open, and enough exhaust apparently was
blowing back that after 30 mins or so, I started to feel light
headed. Quite a few people have died while swimming close
behind boats like that too. I turned off the gen, stayed outside
for 15 mins or so and was fine.

I think running an engine in a garage like that is a very bad idea.
Even if it doesn't kill someone in the house, foolish people can get
used to it, not be thinking and maybe go back into the garage to
do something while the car is warming up, not realizing that the
CO level there can be high.

The guy who got CO poisoned said the house is a cheap POS and the floor
of the room directly over the car does not even have insulation.

Since he posted on FB today I assume is is not dead yet.

I never wanted a house with a built-in garage just for reasons like that.

I do not even have a garage at all and knew if I built one, I'd just be
one of those people who would fill it with crap and still end up parking
the car outside.