Posted to alt.home.repair

Default New furnace

My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off allot It
doesn't run consistently

--
for full context, visit http://www.homeownershub.com/mainten...e-1114803-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2016 10:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off allot It
doesn't run consistently

How new? You should get the installer to check it out
Posted to alt.home.repair

Penni Snyder m wrote:

My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off allot It
doesn't run consistently

Modern furnace fans are designed to run after the burner shuts down to transfer
latent heat from the burner to the house. Once the burner cools off, the fan
stops.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off allot It
doesn't run consistently

What sort of furnace? I have a forced air/gas furnace. In the warmer
months the pilot light generates enough heat to trigger the circulating
fan. The furnace itself does not come on just. I turn the pilot off in
the summer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/15/2016 10:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off allot It
doesn't run consistently

What sort of furnace? I have a forced air/gas furnace. In the warmer
months the pilot light generates enough heat to trigger the circulating
fan. The furnace itself does not come on just. I turn the pilot off in
the summer.

Pilot light?

Furnaces have not had pilot lights for 30 (?) years.

Yours must be ancient.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 06:49:40 -0600
philo wrote:

On 11/15/2016 10:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off
allot It doesn't run consistently

What sort of furnace? I have a forced air/gas furnace. In the warmer
months the pilot light generates enough heat to trigger the
circulating fan. The furnace itself does not come on just. I turn
the pilot off in the summer.

Pilot light?

Furnaces have not had pilot lights for 30 (?) years.

Yours must be ancient.

Modern gas furnaces use electronic ignition systems to light the
burners in modern furnaces. One can still purchase a gas furnace or
water heater with the old standing pilot ignition systems. These
systems have been proven reliable and safe over time. However, why
would someone want to purchase a gas furnace or water with a standing
pilot ignition system rather than purchase a gas furnace or water
heater with an electronic ignition system? Lets define the two
different types of gas furnace or water heater ignition systems. Then
we will surmise based on that why someone would purchase a standing
pilot gas ignition system over an electronic ignition system.

https://highperformancehvac.com/elec...tanding-pilot/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2016 05:49 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/15/2016 10:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off
allot It
doesn't run consistently

What sort of furnace? I have a forced air/gas furnace. In the warmer
months the pilot light generates enough heat to trigger the circulating
fan. The furnace itself does not come on just. I turn the pilot off in
the summer.

Pilot light?

Furnaces have not had pilot lights for 30 (?) years.

Yours must be ancient.

It is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lgCyXw2EWuA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:14:56 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 11/16/2016 05:49 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/15/2016 10:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off
allot It
doesn't run consistently

do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:14:56 AM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 11/16/2016 05:49 AM, philo wrote:
On 11/15/2016 10:32 PM, rbowman wrote:
On 11/15/2016 08:14 PM, Penni Snyder wrote:
My thermostat is off but my furnace still runs it turns on off
allot It
doesn't run consistently

do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 17:47:30 -0500, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

What's a 'hot water hater'? smile

The one that heats the hot water. If you want the cold water warm, then
you get a cold water heater.

I'm still looking for a hot water cooler ....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2016 6:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....

Or maybe you're an idiot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+furnace

an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:21:33 -0500, Buzz wrote:

On 11/16/2016 6:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....

Or maybe you're an idiot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+furnace

an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

Mabee??? Come on, it's TRADER you are talking about - - - -

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/16/2016 04:48 PM, wrote:
I'm still looking for a hot water cooler ....

Second law of thermodynamics...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 9:00:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Wed, 16 Nov 2016 19:21:33 -0500, Buzz wrote:

On 11/16/2016 6:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?
I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....

Or maybe you're an idiot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+furnace

an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

Mabee??? Come on, it's TRADER you are talking about - - - -

Go **** yourself Clarabelle!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:21:43 PM UTC-5, Buzz wrote:
On 11/16/2016 6:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?

I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....

Or maybe you're an idiot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+furnace

an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

Instead of going to google for a definition, why don't you look at
how the manufacturers use the terms, how the HVAC trade uses the terms?
That's what we're talking about here, a home heating system. Show us
some manufacturers of boilers that call them furnaces or vice-versa.
Show me a spec sheet for some home boilers where they call it a furnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2016 10:02 AM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Today we accept any definition we think sounds good or makes us have
good self esteem. Many years ago I worked for a company that made HVAC
products. I was taught by the head engineer: Boiler = water Furnace =
air.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:07:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

Agreed, and here is some additional reinforcement for your definition.

http://www.slantfin.com/difference-b...oiler-furnace/
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 2:07:52 PM UTC-5, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

That's the commonly accepted terms. If you walk into a supply house
and say you need a part for your furnace, they will take it to mean
it's an air based system. But Clarabelle up there in Canada apparently
disagrees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 19:13:57 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

[...]

That was HIS definition and opininion.

Agreed, and here is some additional reinforcement for your definition.

http://www.slantfin.com/difference-b...oiler-furnace/

You are both wrong. or at least pedantic.

Oxford Online Dictionary:
fur·nace

noun

noun: furnace; plural noun: furnaces

an enclosed structure in which material can be heated to very high
temperatures, e.g., for smelting metals.

•North American
an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is
heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

•used to describe a very hot place.
"her car was a furnace"

or

www.dictionary.com/browse/furnace

an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to generate steam,
destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc. 2. a very hot or stifling
place. furnace-like, adjective. ... C13: from Old French fornais, from
Latin fornax oven, furnace; related to Latin formus warm.
?Furnace · ?Recuperative furnace · ?Gas furnace · ?Holding furnace

or

From Merriam Webster:
: an enclosed structure in which heat is produced (as for heating a house or for reducing ore)
chiefly US
one for heating a building or apartment
— called also (chiefly British) boiler

Cambrige dictionary:

a container that is heated to a very high temperature, so that
substances that are put inside it, such as metal, will melt or burn:

People who work with furnaces in a steel factory need to wear
protective clothing.

This room's like a furnace (= is very hot)!

US a piece of equipment for heating a building:

It's cold in here - should I turn on the furnace?

or, from Wikipedia:

A furnace is a device used for high-temperature heating. The name
derives from Greek word fornax, which means oven.

In American English and Canadian English usage, the term furnace on
its own refers to the household heating systems based on a central
furnace (known either as a boiler, or a heater in British English),
and sometimes as a synonym for kiln, a device used in the production
of ceramics. In British English, a furnace is an industrial furnace
used for many things, such as the extraction of metal from ore
(smelting) or in oil refineries and other chemical plants, for example
as the heat source for fractional distillation columns.

The term furnace can also refer to a direct fired heater, used in
boiler applications in chemical industries or for providing heat to
chemical reactions for processes like cracking, and is part of the
standard English names for many metallurgical furnaces worldwide.

The heat energy to fuel a furnace may be supplied directly by fuel
combustion, by electricity such as the electric arc furnace, or
through induction heating in induction furnaces.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

"Boiler" never does it for me if its not making steam, but that's
because I was a boilerman in the Navy. I never say boiler when
talking residential heat unless it's steam.
I just say hot water heating or forced air to keep it simple.
Everybody seems to get that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

From Merriam Webster:
[...]

The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

(Dictionary definitions snipped)

There sure are a lot of "pedantic" companies and government agencies out
there...

http://www.sunsetair.com/blog/furnac...pros-and-cons/
http://www.slantfin.com/difference-b...oiler-furnace/
http://www.kompareit.com/homeandgard...s-furnace.html
http://wilcox-energy.com/the-differe...-and-a-boiler/
http://energy.gov/energysaver/furnaces-and-boilers
http://www.timothyoffheating.com/how...es-vs-boilers/

I could go on (and on).

I'll stick with the definitions/descriptions from those in the heating
industry.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?

you are correct,

except that IN THIS CASE the context
is a home owner who is not a heating equipment expert, asking a question about their heating system.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/2016 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

http://www.waterfurnace.com/how-it-works.aspx

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 10:41:47 AM UTC-5, wrote:
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?

you are correct,

except that IN THIS CASE the context
is a home owner who is not a heating equipment expert, asking a question about their heating system.

Which I acknowledged in my first post.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, November 18, 2016 at 10:44:20 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On 11/18/2016 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

http://www.waterfurnace.com/how-it-works.aspx

Yeah, you got one **** ant manufacturer that nobody ever heard of
that sells heat pump systems, that used that as a cute name for
their product line. When you can show us Rheem,
Trane, Weil-McLain, Goodman, Burnhan, ie that the majors call boilers
furnaces and vice-versa, then I'll agree you have something. Show us
even one of the majors. If you walked into a supply house for a part
for a boiler, would you refer to it as a "furnace" at the counter?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 07:58:03 -0800 (PST), trader_4 wrote:

Yeah, you got one **** ant manufacturer that nobody ever heard of
that sells heat pump systems, that used that as a cute name for
their product line. When you can show us Rheem,
Trane, Weil-McLain, Goodman, Burnhan, ie that the majors call boilers
furnaces and vice-versa, then I'll agree you have something. Show us
even one of the majors. If you walked into a supply house for a part
for a boiler, would you refer to it as a "furnace" at the counter?

I think use of either term in acceptable. Furnace is a more generic term that requires further explanation to
fully define the heating system. If you use the word boiler, the other party instantly knows you are
referring to some kind of hot water heating or propulsion system, but they will not know if you are talking
about steam or circulating hot water without further description.

One large HVAC contractor publishes a glossary of terms and they define furnace as follows:

Furnace

The major component in heating a home. A device that facilitates the combustion of fuel and air to create
heat.

http://www.smcduct.com/hvac-industry-dictionary-terms

Let's face it, if you are buying parts, you have to provide a make, model and description, so, this argument
is kind of silly. I suppose if one wants to be precise, one would refer to the type of heating system, e.g.
gas fired forced hot air, oil fired baseboard radiant heat, coal fired steam, electric heat pump, etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 18 Nov 2016 10:44:14 -0500, "
wrote:

On 11/18/2016 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

http://www.waterfurnace.com/how-it-works.aspx

Except trader didn't read the article. A "water furnace" is a
water/ground source heat pump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/18/2016 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

http://www.waterfurnace.com/how-it-works.aspx

How about an "outdoor woodburning furnace" like the heatmaster.
http://www.heatmasterss.com/
and Northern Stoker
http://northernstoker.ca/
or the "heatmor" from greenvalley
http://www.greenvalleyheating.ca/
or the "polarfurnace"
http://polarfurnace.com/
and it's not just a Canadian thing - Heatmor is located in Warroad,
MN

And how about a "hydronic furnace"
http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/...dronic-furnace

and
http://www.steffes.com/off-peak-heat...c-furnace.html

Also look up Rinnai AHB60 60,000 BTU/Hr Hydronic Furnace
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

OMG! Canadians are burning coal! They're killing all the cute little polar bears! The North Pole is going to melt! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/18/16 11:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Also look up Rinnai AHB60 60,000 BTU/Hr Hydronic Furnace

OMG! Canadians are burning coal! They're killing all the cute little
polar bears! The North Pole is going to melt! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster

Good. Then there will be the Northwest Passage shipping companies
can use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 11/18/2016 9:52 AM, trader_4 wrote:
The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.

Proving you wrong is like shootin' fish in a barrel.

http://www.waterfurnace.com/how-it-works.aspx

Except trader didn't read the article. A "water furnace" is a
water/ground source heat pump.

Of course I read it Clarabelle. What in my reply makes you think I
didn't? It's one **** ant manufacturer that uses a cute name.
The major manufacturers of furnaces and boilers know what to call them
and don't need cute marketing names. Walk into a supply house, where
the pros go, mention furnace and see what the guy at the counter thinks
you mean. You're an embarrassment to Canada.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, November 19, 2016 at 8:11:18 AM UTC-6, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 11/18/16 11:20 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
Also look up Rinnai AHB60 60,000 BTU/Hr Hydronic Furnace

OMG! Canadians are burning coal! They're killing all the cute little
polar bears! The North Pole is going to melt! ヽ(à²*_à²*)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Ice Monster

Good. Then there will be the Northwest Passage shipping companies
can use.

The law of unintended consequences. ヽ(€¢€¿€¢)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Melted Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

Except we burn wood in them things, not coal -----

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting clickclack Home Repair 7 July 7th 06 10:55 PM
Thick accordion-type furnace filters - can I retrofit furnace for standard? bryanska Home Ownership 1 August 9th 05 09:24 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Ownership 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM
Replacing gas furnace (was New Gas Furnace Time) [email protected] Home Repair 0 February 18th 05 09:31 PM