Posted to alt.home.repair

Default run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from rusting

I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer tokee...

Running it one a month wont help. High basement humidity will rust
everything, you will notice your tools first, running it once a month
only dries it out for a few hours, if your humidity is to high get a
dehumidifier. But will it make it last longer, maybe not.

Posted to alt.home.repair

We had oil forever when I was a kid, and my ex and everyone in her
family has it still and I've never heard of that. I see from Google
you should replace your filter once a month in the winter.

Posted to alt.home.repair

clickclack wrote:
I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

In short, the answer is NO. You are likely to increase any possible
problem not reduce it.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair

"clickclack" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

Never heard of that.

Closest thing to that was running the car AC every 2-4 weeks in winter to
keep the seals lubed so they don't dry out. How true is that? Dunno for a
fact. Maybe another old wives tale.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Al Bundy wrote:
"clickclack" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

Never heard of that.

Closest thing to that was running the car AC every 2-4 weeks in winter to
keep the seals lubed so they don't dry out. How true is that? Dunno for a
fact. Maybe another old wives tale.

It might have been true when A/Cs first came out,
but later it didn't make any difference. The
point is moot anymore because most modern vehicles
run the A/C automatically under many heat
settings, most common is the A/C running whenever
the defrost is turned on. My pickup has about 8
settings and it runs the A/C with all but 3 settings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Al Bundy wrote:

"clickclack" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

Never heard of that.

Closest thing to that was running the car AC every 2-4 weeks in
winter to keep the seals lubed so they don't dry out. How true is
that? Dunno for a fact. Maybe another old wives tale. (It used to be
true.)

It might have been true when A/Cs first came out, but later it didn't
make any difference. The point is moot anymore because most modern
vehicles run the A/C automatically under many heat settings, most
common is the A/C running whenever the defrost is turned on. My
pickup has about 8 settings and it runs the A/C with all but 3 settings.

I own a 1988 Buick in mint condition. The A/C worked fantastic until
this season, when it appears to have lost some R-12 as the clutch is
short cycling the compressor.
The problem is that the R-12 will have to be recovered and then it will
need leak testing with a 700-micron or below vacuum drawn and then
charged with a refrigerant replacement. The refrigerant hoses may need
to be replaced for the new refrigerants. Your opinions... .

http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html
What is the score on Autofrost/R-406A replacing R-12?
http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html

I need all the information anyone has concerning not having to recover
the R-12 yet!
It could be just a clutch problem, I need to have it checked.

- udarrell - Darrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html
Posted to alt.home.repair

udarrell wrote:
George E. Cawthon wrote:

Al Bundy wrote:

"clickclack" wrote in
ups.com:

[...]

Can't help much, but I can tell you that you can't
trust even major car dealers on A/C repair. I had
a clutch burn up on the A/C of a 1973 Pontiac, oil
got on the pads and swelled them just enough to
burn up the rubber attachments. I told them it
burned up when I didn't have the A/C on. They
told me I need a new compressor even though it was
obvious that the compressor had nothing to do with
the clutch burning up. The jerks fixed the clutch
but didn't fix the idler bearing (which I asked
them to include) and it seized in another 5-10,000
miles. Bought the tool and did it myself with a
completely new bearing and clutch since the
package cost about the same as one of the components.

If you are going to have someone do the work, I
suggest you just buy a new car!