Posted to alt.home.repair
udarrell udarrell is offline

Default run my oil forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keepthefurnace from rusting

George E. Cawthon wrote:

Al Bundy wrote:

"clickclack" wrote in
ups.com:

I'm new to owning a home. Someone told me that I have to run my oil
forced air furnace once a month in the summer to keep the furnace from
rusting. Is this true? I have a hard time accepting this as I'm trying
to cool the house off..why turn up the heat?

Never heard of that.

Closest thing to that was running the car AC every 2-4 weeks in
winter to keep the seals lubed so they don't dry out. How true is
that? Dunno for a fact. Maybe another old wives tale. (It used to be
true.)

It might have been true when A/Cs first came out, but later it didn't
make any difference. The point is moot anymore because most modern
vehicles run the A/C automatically under many heat settings, most
common is the A/C running whenever the defrost is turned on. My
pickup has about 8 settings and it runs the A/C with all but 3 settings.

I own a 1988 Buick in mint condition. The A/C worked fantastic until
this season, when it appears to have lost some R-12 as the clutch is
short cycling the compressor.
The problem is that the R-12 will have to be recovered and then it will
need leak testing with a 700-micron or below vacuum drawn and then
charged with a refrigerant replacement. The refrigerant hoses may need
to be replaced for the new refrigerants. Your opinions... .

http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html
What is the score on Autofrost/R-406A replacing R-12?
http://www.cooltop.net/autofrost.html

I need all the information anyone has concerning not having to recover
the R-12 yet!
It could be just a clutch problem, I need to have it checked.

- udarrell - Darrell

--
Air Conditioning's Affordable Path to the "Human Comfort Zone Goal"
http://www.udarrell.com/air-conditio...tent-heat.html