Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default New furnace

On Thursday, November 17, 2016 at 10:00:54 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 19:13:57 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

On Thu, 17 Nov 2016 14:07:46 -0500, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 11/17/2016 10:02 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 7:21:43 PM UTC-5, Buzz wrote:
On 11/16/2016 6:29 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, November 16, 2016 at 10:59:19 AM UTC-5, wrote:
do you have a separate hot water hater or does your furnace also supply hot water for your house?
I've never seen a furnace heat water. Furnaces heat air, boilers
heat water. But then the post did come from home moaners hub,
so who knows, you may be on to something....

Or maybe you're an idiot?

https://www.google.com/search?q=define%3A+furnace

an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

Instead of going to google for a definition, why don't you look at
how the manufacturers use the terms, how the HVAC trade uses the terms?
That's what we're talking about here, a home heating system. Show us
some manufacturers of boilers that call them furnaces or vice-versa.
Show me a spec sheet for some home boilers where they call it a furnace.

Today we accept any definition we think sounds good or makes us have
good self esteem. Many years ago I worked for a company that made HVAC
products. I was taught by the head engineer: Boiler = water Furnace =
air.

That was HIS definition and opininion.

Agreed, and here is some additional reinforcement for your definition.

http://www.slantfin.com/difference-b...oiler-furnace/

You are both wrong. or at least pedantic.

Oxford Online Dictionary:
fur·nace

noun

noun: furnace; plural noun: furnaces

an enclosed structure in which material can be heated to very high
temperatures, e.g., for smelting metals.

€¢North American
an appliance fired by gas, oil, or wood in which air or water is
heated to be circulated throughout a building in a heating system.

€¢used to describe a very hot place.
"her car was a furnace"

or

www.dictionary.com/browse/furnace

an enclosed chamber in which heat is produced to generate steam,
destroy refuse, smelt or refine ores, etc. 2. a very hot or stifling
place. furnace-like, adjective. ... C13: from Old French fornais, from
Latin fornax oven, furnace; related to Latin formus warm.
?Furnace · ?Recuperative furnace · ?Gas furnace · ?Holding furnace

or

From Merriam Webster:
: an enclosed structure in which heat is produced (as for heating a house or for reducing ore)
chiefly US
one for heating a building or apartment
€” called also (chiefly British) boiler

Cambrige dictionary:

a container that is heated to a very high temperature, so that
substances that are put inside it, such as metal, will melt or burn:

People who work with furnaces in a steel factory need to wear
protective clothing.

This room's like a furnace (= is very hot)!

US a piece of equipment for heating a building:

It's cold in here - should I turn on the furnace?

or, from Wikipedia:

A furnace is a device used for high-temperature heating. The name
derives from Greek word fornax, which means oven.

In American English and Canadian English usage, the term furnace on
its own refers to the household heating systems based on a central
furnace (known either as a boiler, or a heater in British English),
and sometimes as a synonym for kiln, a device used in the production
of ceramics. In British English, a furnace is an industrial furnace
used for many things, such as the extraction of metal from ore
(smelting) or in oil refineries and other chemical plants, for example
as the heat source for fractional distillation columns.

The term furnace can also refer to a direct fired heater, used in
boiler applications in chemical industries or for providing heat to
chemical reactions for processes like cracking, and is part of the
standard English names for many metallurgical furnaces worldwide.

The heat energy to fuel a furnace may be supplied directly by fuel
combustion, by electricity such as the electric arc furnace, or
through induction heating in induction furnaces.

The Oxford dictionary does not make heating equipment. Show us some
examples of furnace manufacturers that refer to boilers as "furnaces".
Show us some boiler makers that call them furnaces. Show us spec sheets
for home heating equipment where they call a hydronic system a furnace.
Context of the usage is everything. Would you walk into a supply house
and ask for a part for a furnace when it was a hydronic system?
Yeah, you probably would. Almost everyone else here would ask for a
part for a boiler.