Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stump removal - Very Interesting Video

If you have ever had to remove a stump, you will appreciate how this
guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc
Posted to alt.home.repair

In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
If you have ever had to remove a stump, you will appreciate how this
guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc

Interesting video. I have done stump pulling on my own using a
all-wheel-drive 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.5L engine, a tow hitch, and a
tow strap.

The tree stumps (and some bushes etc) were not that big, but two of the
stumps were about 16 inches in diameter. One thing that id did do is do a
little digging around the stumps and fill the whole stump area with water
from a hose and let it sink in. And I ran the hose on high pressure into
the ground around the stump to try to completely soak the area.

I didn't have the devices to change the ratios of the pulleys etc -- I just
did straight pulling.

But, for people who have the equipment that this guy had, it seems like a
good way to rip out an entire sump from the ground.

Of course, another option is to cut the tree off at ground level and hire
someone with a stump grinder to grind the remaining stump and big surface
roots. In my case, I didn't want to pay extra for that, plus I wanted to
play around in the mud and see if my trick would work. It was lots of fun,
and it worked!

Meanwhile, on another larger tree that I had cut down later on, I left the
stump there rather than pay extra to grind the stump. Then, some
entrepreneurial person put a flyer in my mailbox saying "This Stump" -- will
grind for $50. I called the guy, he did it, and I left $75 for him instead
of $50 since he did what he said he would do, when he said he would do it,
and at a great price. In my area, the price would probably have been $150
to $175 to have someone come out and do the job.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 11:48:41 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
If you have ever had to remove a stump, you will appreciate how this
guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc

Interesting video. I have done stump pulling on my own using a
all-wheel-drive 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.5L engine, a tow hitch, and a
tow strap.

The tree stumps (and some bushes etc) were not that big, but two of the
stumps were about 16 inches in diameter. One thing that id did do is do a
little digging around the stumps and fill the whole stump area with water
from a hose and let it sink in. And I ran the hose on high pressure into
the ground around the stump to try to completely soak the area.

I spent about at least 2 weeks worth of evenings hosing down the roots of a
locust tree stump to expose them so I could cut them with an ax and handsaws.
When the stump was free, a friend pulled it out of the hole with his truck.

If you've never seen the roots of a locust, this is what I was dealing with.
Lots of intertwined roots, some of which formed solid masses of wood.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningg...s_225x154.ashx

The next spring I had hundreds of tiny locust trees sprouting from the long,
shallow roots that ran through the yard. I had to remove all of them in
order to stop the trees from growing. Tore up the yard 2 years in a row.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 17:13:54 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

[...]

You can save yourself some pain and suffering by using a reciprocating
saw (Sawzall), with super tough demolition blades, e.g. Milwaukee
brand, AX blades, see: http://thd.co/2eE7GDf This is a 25 pack, but
you can get lesser quantities.

These are ideal for cutting roots and removing stumps and they don't
get ruined like a chainsaw chain when used in the dirt.

If you've never seen the roots of a locust, this is what I was dealing with.
Lots of intertwined roots, some of which formed solid masses of wood.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningg...s_225x154.ashx

The next spring I had hundreds of tiny locust trees sprouting from the long,
shallow roots that ran through the yard. I had to remove all of them in
order to stop the trees from growing. Tore up the yard 2 years in a row.

There is a fantastic chemical, quite powerful, that can be used to
treat a cut stump and within a short period of time it will kill the
roots / rhizomes, this would probably have prevented your sprouting
problem. The product is called Tordon RTU. See:
http://amzn.to/2eE7fci The customer questions and answers are
interesting.

I have used it on a So. Cal. nightmare shrub called Cape Honeysuckle
(not related to regular honeysuckle) and on several trees including
Brazilian Pepper trees.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I was a young, reciprocating-saw-less, new homeowner. These days, plunging
a reciprocating saw down a post hole to cut a root, sending dirt flying
everywhere, is a no-brainer.

As a wise man told me many years ago, "If you're working too hard, you're
probably using the wrong tool". ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-5, Stormin' Norman wrote:

....snip...

There is a fantastic chemical, quite powerful, that can be used to
treat a cut stump and within a short period of time it will kill the
roots / rhizomes, this would probably have prevented your sprouting
problem. The product is called Tordon RTU. See:
http://amzn.to/2eE7fci The customer questions and answers are
interesting.

Young kids, puppies, kittens, SWMBO. Fantastic, quite powerful chemicals
were not an option.

Besides, the roots were substantial and in sandy soil. They were becoming
more and more exposed every year. Manual removal was really the best option.
Once they were gone (and the kids stopped playing in the mud) the lawn
came in great and was easier to maintain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 11:49:31 -0500, "TomR" wrote:

In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
[...]

The othe reason to pull rather than grind is if you want to put
something - particularly something that requires digging a hole - in
it's place.
Meanwhile, on another larger tree that I had cut down later on, I left the
stump there rather than pay extra to grind the stump. Then, some
entrepreneurial person put a flyer in my mailbox saying "This Stump" -- will
grind for $50. I called the guy, he did it, and I left $75 for him instead
of $50 since he did what he said he would do, when he said he would do it,
and at a great price. In my area, the price would probably have been $150
to $175 to have someone come out and do the job.

Up hjear it's a $300 job - but in Yankee Greenbacks that's only about
$225
'

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 08 Nov 2016 22:49:29 +0000, Stormin' Norman
wrote:

If you have ever had to remove a stump,

Not remove a STump, I want to remove a TRump !!!

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The story came across as if it was a more recent episode.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 9 Nov 2016 18:21:14 -0800 (PST), DerbyDad03
wrote:

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 8:46:00 PM UTC-5, Stormin' Norman wrote:

...snip...

There is a fantastic chemical, quite powerful, that can be used to
treat a cut stump and within a short period of time it will kill the
roots / rhizomes, this would probably have prevented your sprouting
problem. The product is called Tordon RTU. See:
http://amzn.to/2eE7fci The customer questions and answers are
interesting.

Young kids, puppies, kittens, SWMBO. Fantastic, quite powerful chemicals
were not an option.

Besides, the roots were substantial and in sandy soil. They were becoming
more and more exposed every year. Manual removal was really the best option.
Once they were gone (and the kids stopped playing in the mud) the lawn
came in great and was easier to maintain.

The beauty or TORDON RTU is, one brushes it on the stump with a cheap
chipping brush. A relatively miniscule amount will kill the entire
root structure of a 70 year old ficus tree fairly quickly. After the
chemical soaks in and dries, about 30 minutes, it is perfectly safe.

Regardless, my comments were offered as suggestions for future
projects not as a critique of past methods.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The story was *taken* as if it was a more recent episode. There is nothing
in the words that indicates any time period. (Just like your story).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Phrase it however you wish.

Stump removal rick UK diy 53 August 13th 16 05:21 PM
Stump removal Mike Barnes[_2_] UK diy 29 May 8th 14 12:29 AM
HELP: stump removal Zz Yzx Home Repair 28 January 31st 12 01:11 AM
Stump Removal Bob Simon Home Repair 2 April 11th 05 12:09 AM
Tree stump removal Brian UK diy 46 April 6th 04 12:57 PM