Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Stump removal - Very Interesting Video

On Wednesday, November 9, 2016 at 11:48:41 AM UTC-5, TomR wrote:
In ,
Stormin' Norman typed:
If you have ever had to remove a stump, you will appreciate how this
guy does it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRTIwWUg4fc

Interesting video. I have done stump pulling on my own using a
all-wheel-drive 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe with a 3.5L engine, a tow hitch, and a
tow strap.

The tree stumps (and some bushes etc) were not that big, but two of the
stumps were about 16 inches in diameter. One thing that id did do is do a
little digging around the stumps and fill the whole stump area with water
from a hose and let it sink in. And I ran the hose on high pressure into
the ground around the stump to try to completely soak the area.

I spent about at least 2 weeks worth of evenings hosing down the roots of a
locust tree stump to expose them so I could cut them with an ax and handsaws.
When the stump was free, a friend pulled it out of the hole with his truck.

If you've never seen the roots of a locust, this is what I was dealing with.
Lots of intertwined roots, some of which formed solid masses of wood.

http://www.learn2grow.com/gardeningg...s_225x154.ashx

The next spring I had hundreds of tiny locust trees sprouting from the long,
shallow roots that ran through the yard. I had to remove all of them in
order to stop the trees from growing. Tore up the yard 2 years in a row.